Ram problem (maybe) ?

by zeion
Tags: None
Share this thread:
zeion
Mar23-11, 12:55 AM
P: 467
Hello,

Having a bit of problem with my system. It sometimes would just turn off on its own. I've seem to to isolated the problem to be due to a piece of ram. It would not turn on if I have it inserted. This hasn't happened before. I'm wondering also if it could be a power supply problem?

My rams are all from different manufacturers.. and the problematic on is a Kingston 1GB.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New model helps explain how provisions promote or reduce wildlife disease
Stress can make hard-working mongooses less likely to help in the future
Grammatical habits in written English reveal linguistic features of non-native speakers' languages
KrisOhn
Mar23-11, 01:38 AM
P: 269
I don't think this would be a power supply problem. If it was, and having another single stick of ram puts it over it's max wattage, you would see instability in running the computer without the stick, as the powersupply would be very near its max wattage.

Another possibility is the ram slot. Try putting a good stick of ram in the ram slot, if it boots: it's the ram. If it doesn't: it's most likely the ram slot or a combination. If it doesn't boot with the good ram in the slot, then put the bad ram into a good slot and see if it boots then. By the time you are done, you should know exactly what is wrong.

Register to reply