Register to reply

Faraday rotation in plasma?

by quarky2001
Tags: dispersion, faraday rotation, plasma, waves
Share this thread:
quarky2001
Mar27-11, 05:50 AM
P: 33
I'm looking to find an expression for the Faraday rotation of a wave in a magnetized plasma, propagating parallel to a magnetic field.

It's more math help than physics help I need here though. I know that I'll have to start with the dispersion relations for a right and left circularly polarized waves:

Note that capital omegas [tex]\Omega[/tex] represent cyclotron frequencies, small omegas [tex]\omega[/tex] represent plasma frequencies, and the i/e subscripts refer to electrons or ions. The [tex]\omega[/tex] with no subscript is the frequency of the propagating wave.

[tex] \frac{k_R^2 c^2}{\omega^2}=1-\frac{\omega_{pe}^2}{\omega (\omega - \Omega_e)}-\frac{\omega_{pi}^2}{\omega (\omega + \Omega_i)} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{k_L^2 c^2}{\omega^2}=1-\frac{\omega_{pe}^2}{\omega (\omega + \Omega_e)}-\frac{\omega_{pi}^2}{\omega (\omega - \Omega_i)} [/tex]

Note that I'm dealing with an Alfven wave, so when manipulating the above formulae, the following assumption can be made: [tex] \omega << \Omega_i << \Omega_e [/tex]

The angle that the wave's plane of polarization rotates through is
[tex] \Theta = \frac{(k_R-k_L)\Delta z}{2} [/tex]

The problem lies in finding the [tex] k_R-k_L [/tex] term from the first two equations listed.

Using the relationship [tex] \frac{\omega_{pi}^2}{\Omega_i} = \frac{\omega_{pe}^2}{\Omega_e} [/tex] I can simplify the term for the R-wave to get

[tex] \frac{k_R^2 c^2}{\omega^2} \approx 1-\frac{\omega}{\Omega_i}+\frac{\Omega_i^2}{\omega_{pi}^2} [/tex]

I know this is correct, but repeating the same process for the L-wave doesn't yield a term that can easily be combined with this one to get the [tex] k_R-k_L [/tex] expression I'm looking for.

If anyone could guide me through this, it would be much appreciated!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space

Register to reply