Register to reply

Have you ever seen an attractive woman, walked up to her and started a conversation?

by wasteofo2
Tags: attractive, conversation, started, walked, woman
Share this thread:
lisab
Feb17-11, 10:25 PM
Mentor
P: 2,978
Quote Quote by Dougggggg View Post
Is it just me or have you guys noticed that when you meet someone new on campus and they ask what you are majoring and you respond with Math and Physics (well for me at least), their faces turn into the most confused or horrified look. Typical verbal response is "wow you must be a genius," "I couldn't ever imagine doing that," or "why?"
Try having that experience and being female ! I know exactly what you mean.
Astronuc
Feb17-11, 11:29 PM
Admin
P: 21,827
Is it just me or have you guys noticed that when you meet someone new on campus and they ask what you are majoring and you respond with Math and Physics (well for me at least), their faces turn into the most confused or horrified look. Typical verbal response is "wow you must be a genius," "I couldn't ever imagine doing that," or "why?"
I got that. Now when I mention nuclear engineering, I get asked about nuclear weapons, severe accidents, and host of other topics which seem to represent the anxieties of an uninformed and severely undereducated public.
Lancelot59
Feb18-11, 10:33 AM
P: 675
I get that all the time when I say engineering. More so when I mention how many courses I take.
rootX
Feb18-11, 08:50 PM
P: 1,294
Quote Quote by mathwonk View Post
I will talk to almost anyone, but it has to be about math.
Here's the girl for you!

Dougggggg
Feb18-11, 08:54 PM
P: 163
Something like that just happened about an hour or two ago. We were playing poker and this girl asked my major and then responded, "of course!" I was kinda cleaning up the table just playing odds.
Lancelot59
Feb18-11, 09:37 PM
P: 675
Quote Quote by rootX View Post
Here's the girl for you!

Ehhhh, no. I wouldn't wanna...don't know where she's been. For that matter I don't know where those puppets have been.
EinsteinsDog
Feb20-11, 07:33 PM
P: n/a
its the look on their faces jajajaja priceless. A girl once told me I should go to a psychiatrist because my love for math was abnormal jajaja.
Lichdar
Apr19-11, 02:51 AM
P: 6
Yes.

Its not that complicated. They're attractive and yet, human in many ways that are entirely separate from their ability to ignite a physical reaction in you. So I just talk to them as human.

You tend to pick up cues pretty fast whether they're open to flirting, and I've always enjoyed that even if I never intended to pursue anything more. People like being reminded that they're attractive too.

I have, for the sake of experimentation, also tried blatantly hitting on girls and I think that if you do in the right place with enough of a sense of humor so that it does come off as silly rather than serious, it does work out well too.

The key is not coming off as a creep is not thinking /as/ a creep, and not acting as one. The pretty girl is just a pretty girl, not your only sole chance at love and adoration and acceptance; she's just someone who's probably nice and happens to be pleasant to look at too.
Mentallic
Apr19-11, 03:34 AM
HW Helper
P: 3,515
Quote Quote by EinsteinsDog View Post
jajajaja
You need to move your finger one more spot over to the left.
mathwonk
Apr22-11, 11:40 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,453
the key is to lie. one of my old girl friends perfected this, she told strangers that i was a professional boxer and that she was a professional pool player. At least guys did not hit on her as much when I was around, but they did wonder why i was such a wimp.
pergradus
Apr23-11, 12:12 AM
P: 156
I don't, not so much that I'm afraid but just because it takes more than looks to get my attention.

If a girl is pretty and also has some quality that interests me, I have no problem approaching her. If she's just pretty, I'd probably not want to speak to her even if she approached me, and I have "rejected" good looking girls before because they are uninteresting to talk to.

I just think its sad for guys to have such low standards all the time.
HeLiXe
Apr23-11, 01:20 AM
P: 410
Quote Quote by pergradus View Post
I don't, not so much that I'm afraid but just because it takes more than looks to get my attention.

If a girl is pretty and also has some quality that interests me, I have no problem approaching her. If she's just pretty, I'd probably not want to speak to her even if she approached me, and I have "rejected" good looking girls before because they are uninteresting to talk to.

I just think its sad for guys to have such low standards all the time.
This was great to read :) Thx for sharing your thoughts!
Lichdar
Apr23-11, 12:25 PM
Yes, it is tragically sad for me to have such vastly low standards. I think I might have to make up for my plunging esteem with a threesome.

In all seriousness, though, I think there's value in all people and not talking to anyone because you feel like you have vastly inflated belief in how interesting or intelligent you are is robbing yourself of a lot of potential knowledge. And sexual partners, for that matter, but I'm a troglodyte after all.
pergradus
Apr23-11, 02:32 PM
P: 156
Quote Quote by Lichdar View Post
Yes, it is tragically sad for me to have such vastly low standards. I think I might have to make up for my plunging esteem with a threesome.

In all seriousness, though, I think there's value in all people and not talking to anyone because you feel like you have vastly inflated belief in how interesting or intelligent you are is robbing yourself of a lot of potential knowledge. And sexual partners, for that matter, but I'm a troglodyte after all.
Easy there skipper, don't get your towline in a tangle.

There's the key difference - I do not see value in all or most people. It doesn't have to do with my traits, but I do have taste and opinions and that extends to other people.

Generally most guys evaluate a girl on the sole factor of whether she's hot or not. I guess I just grew out of that highschool mentality and a persons character is of huge importance to me, although there also has to be physical attraction. I need someone who can challenge me, whether that's intellectually or physically or on any other number of levels. I don't see why you're offended by my comment - lots of empty headed girls out there who I'm not interested in - more for you!
Lichdar
Apr23-11, 02:40 PM
I'm no offended, just sarcastic ;) And good for you!
SamirS
Apr24-11, 10:14 AM
P: 9
DanP got it right. Hot women get hit on all the time by creepy, or stupid, or insecure, or plain boring guys. You need to be different (hence, memory-worthy) without being creepy.

Also, never give your number - always take hers. It's in our culture that women seldom take the initiative, and it's also very different if she can call you whenever she wants - there is nothing unexpected for her and she knows for sure she got you in her hand and that you are not the guy who takes control. It doesn't matter the least if any of this is actually true. It only matters what people think and feel.

Most guys come up to hot girls and are like "woah I want you and you know it, pleeeeaaaaase take me", albeit not in those words. Don't be that guy. The "you got me slightly interested, now you need to show me that you warrant that"-attitude while showing humor, confidence and that you are interesting yourself works much better.

You know those great salespeople who somehow invoke the feeling in their customers that the potential buyer wants to please the salesguy, even though he is the one who, objectively, needs to convince you? That's not.. entirely unlike!
KingNothing
Apr27-11, 12:28 AM
P: 949
Yes. And I usually go into my Borat voice and say "how much?"
mathwonk
Apr28-11, 07:56 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,453
this reminds me of my freshman year in college. there was a "mixer", i.e. a dance you could bring anyone to. I found myself with this smoothly confident guy with oily hair on the sidewalk outside the campus gates and neither of us had a date. He said, we need some girls, no problem there's lots out here. He immediately chatted up two cute if shallow young girls who looked magnetized by him. He handed them off to me, said I should entertain them while he got some more and strolled off. The girls looked disappointedly at me, asked me something like what do you do? and got a smooth answer like: Im a math geek from tennessee, what about you? They said something polite like well we have to go, and instantly disappeared. A few minutes later my new friend came back with about three more sharply dressed girls and asked where the other girls were. I said they had to go, and he said that's ok we have enough, and he went off to the mixer with one or two on each arm. I don't remember whether I actually had the nerve to go to the dance with them, but I probably did and gave up after a short time striking out. Until you get some practice chatting up the other sex, this is what its like for many of us. But everyone can learn. I am actually a married man, and my wife is both brilliant and gorgeous.

Register to reply