Mysterious Cave Creatures: Investigating Rods on Film

• Thread starter Altune
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Film
In summary, the conversation is about the existence of creatures called "rods" that are captured on film in large caves in South America and other places. These creatures resemble large centipedes and fly very quickly through the air. It is believed that these "rods" are actually insects that appear elongated due to the frame capture rate of the camera. This explanation has been supported by various sources, including a nature photographer who captured the insects in different states of flight. Despite some speculation about aliens or a conspiracy, it has been widely debunked as a natural phenomenon.
Altune
Does anyone have any information on the creatures if any that are captured on film in large caves in south america and other places? I think they are called rods or something. They look like large centapeeds that fly thru the air very fast. Just courious if this is just camera speed settings causing say a small bird to appear several frames elongating its body to look like the so called "rod" creature.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this has been pretty well explained as insects very near the camera, or insects moving very quickly. The last that I heard, the definitive, irrefutable explanation will come when someone obtains film and video of the same alleged "rods".

We had a couple of thread a long time ago but nothing popped up. A google should turn up lots of hits.

Here is one explanation found. It sounds pretty good to me:

They ARE insects--perfectly ordinary insects. As you correctly observe, they are a videographic artifact based on the frame capture rate of the videocam versus the wingbeat frequency of the insects. [continued]

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mrodhoax.html

I remember seeing an article about this, a nature photographer had captured a group of 'rods' in all the possible states of flight...so you could see some of them hovering, with a couple going into a semi-rod like blur, and then with a few in full flight exhibiting the classic rod 'effect' All in the same picture.
At the time it was the smoking gun which debunked the whole thing, and the picture appeared in several fortean type magazines.

Last edited:
I once watched a program about rods. You know one of those ones that insists blindly that everything has to be aliens or a conspricy, or better yet a conspiricy about aliens. Was quite funny to watch really.

Thanks for clearing up the cause of the 'phenomenon' for me, 'cause wouldn't you know it, the program offered no explanation beyond "aliens! rejoice, for we have PROOF!"

Yep I thought so. There was a " sightings" or something like that on the subject. I thought it looked kind of sceptical.

Yep I thought so. There was a " sightings" or something like that on the subject. I thought it looked kind of sceptical.

1. What are "rods" and where are they found?

"Rods" are mysterious, elongated creatures that have been captured on film in various locations around the world. They are typically found in dark, remote areas such as caves, forests, and bodies of water.

2. What do rods look like?

Rods have been described as long, thin creatures with multiple pairs of wings that appear to flap rapidly. They have been compared to insects, snakes, and even alien-like creatures. However, their exact appearance and characteristics are still debated.

3. Are rods a new discovery?

Rods were first discovered in the 1990s when Jose Escamilla captured them on film while filming a UFO documentary. However, there have been reports of similar creatures throughout history, suggesting that they may have been around for much longer.

4. What is the scientific explanation for rods?

There is no scientific consensus on what rods actually are. Some believe that they are a type of insect or bird that appears elongated due to camera motion or shutter speed. Others speculate that they could be a new, undiscovered species or even extraterrestrial beings.

5. Have there been any scientific studies on rods?

There have been some scientific studies and experiments conducted on rods, but the results have been inconclusive. Some researchers have attempted to recreate them in a laboratory setting, while others have analyzed footage and photos for evidence of manipulation. However, the mystery of rods remains unsolved.