Register to reply

Radiation Rainwater claims

by Galteeth
Tags: claims, radiation, rainwater
Share this thread:
Galteeth
Apr25-11, 12:38 AM
P: 320
This link was found on a political site I frequent. The blogger has posted a screenshot of an EPA database search showing high levels of radioactive iodine in rainwater of some US cities. he is suggesting this is a consequence of the Japan disaster. The data itself appears to be legit, though I am skeptical of his interpretations. For one, he is comparing EPA standards for drinking water to rainwater. Two, though many of the listings are from this year, a large number seems to be from 2004 (which "begs" the questions ((using that in the colloquial sense, not the rhetorical sense)) what happened in 2004?). Nevertheless, these levels from a laymen's point of view seem to be quite high. Thinking skeptically, it would seem that this should be bigger news. Can anyone shed some light on this and put this data in context? Thanks.

http://blog.alexanderhiggins.com/201...a-limit-19907/
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Galteeth
Apr25-11, 04:47 AM
As someone on the JREF forums pointed out, the entries are actually all from 2011, just ordered differently.
russ_watters
Apr25-11, 05:42 AM
Mentor
P: 22,304
Quote Quote by Galteeth View Post
The data itself appears to be legit...
On what do you base that? All I see is a spreadsheet.

AlephZero
Apr25-11, 08:56 AM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 7,177
Radiation Rainwater claims

Links to credible data on airborne iodine-131 n the UK are here:

http://www.hpa.org.uk/NewsCentre/Nat...PressReleases/

I don't know what the official UK "safe level" is, but these numbers are stated to be below it.

The press tried to turn this into a scare story about data "not being released for 72 hours", and "a row between the Scottish and UK health protection agencies". Yawn....
Galteeth
Apr25-11, 08:38 PM
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
On what do you base that? All I see is a spreadsheet.
you can go to the EPA site and search
russ_watters
Apr25-11, 08:57 PM
Mentor
P: 22,304
Quote Quote by Galteeth View Post
you can go to the EPA site and search
Did you?
zapperzero
May4-11, 05:29 PM
P: 1,044
http://www.epa.gov/radiation/docs/re...ease-FINAL.pdf

"Elevated levels of radioactive material in rainwater have been expected as a result of the nuclear incident after the events in Japan since radiation is known to travel in the atmosphere - precipitation data collected in several states show elevated levels of radiation in recent precipitation events. In all cases these are levels above the normal background levels historically reported in these areas."

Register to reply