sounds like a retardedly basic PDE problem..

by dingop
Tags: pde
dingop
May12-11, 08:47 PM
P: 2
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is a simple pde I need to solve in order to determine a straightforward expansion for a given overall equation.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\partial[/tex]u/[tex]\partial[/tex]x+[tex]\partial[/tex]u/[tex]\partial[/tex]y=0
with initial condition:
u(x,0)=epsilon*phi(x)

3. The attempt at a solution

I used the method of associated equations and got the answer of u=f(x-y); indeed u(x,y)=x-y does satisfy the equation. However, there is no way to input a constant and solve for the constant to satisfy the initial condition. Any help will be appreciated! thanks!

2. Relevant equations

Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
SpaceX launches supplies to space station (Update)
LCKurtz
May12-11, 08:55 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 7,197
Quote Quote by dingop View Post

This is a simple pde I need to solve in order to determine a straightforward expansion for a given overall equation.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\partial[/tex]u/[tex]\partial[/tex]x+[tex]\partial[/tex]u/[tex]\partial[/tex]y=0
with initial condition:
u(x,0)=epsilon*phi(x)

I used the method of associated equations and got the answer of u=f(x-y); indeed u(x,y)=x-y does satisfy the equation. However, there is no way to input a constant and solve for the constant to satisfy the initial condition. Any help will be appreciated! thanks!
But you have u(x,y) = f(x-y) for any function f. You don't have to just take f(x-y) = x-y. So you have better than a constant of integration; you have an arbitrary function of integration to play with. Your condition becomes:

u(x,0) = f(x-0) = εφ(x)

so what does f need to be?
dingop
May13-11, 01:50 AM
P: 2
Quote Quote by LCKurtz View Post
But you have u(x,y) = f(x-y) for any function f. You don't have to just take f(x-y) = x-y. So you have better than a constant of integration; you have an arbitrary function of integration to play with. Your condition becomes:

u(x,0) = f(x-0) = εφ(x)

thanks for the reply.!

Right now, I actually don't know what f needs to be-
I just have the PDE equation and the initial condition to satisfy- and my previous sample problems involving associated equations had no initial conditions, so I am pretty much lost..

LCKurtz
May13-11, 01:44 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 7,197

sounds like a retardedly basic PDE problem..

Quote Quote by LCKurtz View Post

u(x,0) = f(x-0) = εφ(x)

Quote Quote by dingop View Post
thanks for the reply.!

Right now, I actually don't know what f needs to be-
I just have the PDE equation and the initial condition to satisfy- and my previous sample problems involving associated equations had no initial conditions, so I am pretty much lost..
It isn't that hard. The answer to my question is in the line above it. You are given φ and you want to choose f to make that equation work. Then u = f(x-y) will be your solution.

Register to reply