by mankin2006
Tags: bob and alice
Share this thread:
Chi Meson
May23-11, 05:29 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,772
I use a workbook that goes over the other line, trying to use as many names as possible. One problem has "Andy, Mandy, Candy, and Randy"; another investigates the fish tank of Xiao Li; there's a pole-vault problem featuring Sergei Bubka; and the sky-diver Branco. After a while, you start missing Alice and Bob.
Ryan_m_b
May23-11, 08:02 AM
Mentor
P: 5,405
Back during my school exams in the UK there was a massive drive for political correctness. Therefore all exam questions would feature a boys name, a girls name and an ethnic name.

"George, Stacey and Rajij went to the park..."
Null_
May23-11, 09:27 AM
P: 232
BobG
May23-11, 12:06 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,278
Quote Quote by Chi Meson View Post
I use a workbook that goes over the other line, trying to use as many names as possible. One problem has "Andy, Mandy, Candy, and Randy"; another investigates the fish tank of Xiao Li; there's a pole-vault problem featuring Sergei Bubka; and the sky-diver Branco. After a while, you start missing Alice and Bob.
Okay, I understand who most of these people are, but who the heck is skydiver Branco?

I would have gone with skydiver "Dummy" Mahan. He presents a lot more opportunities for physics scenarios. Dummy Mahan's real name was Frederico Mesa, but his boxing name of Fred Mahan gave him better opportunities as a boxer in the late 20's. His nickname came from the fact that he was deaf and dumb. He fought for the welterweight championship a couple of times, but lost both fights. Along the way, someone had suggested that the pressure change created by skydiving might cure his deafness... and the couple times he tried it, it seemed to give him hearing for very short periods after the jump.

Which led to one of the worst hype events in sports history. Mahan would parachute from an airplane to cure his deafness with a bevy of reporters to record the miraculous event, which should get him into the news and increase the interest in his upcoming boxing match.

Unfortunately, the parachute failed to open.
BobG
May23-11, 01:36 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,278
I also think there should be at least one phsyics problem involving Ted throwing softballs from a 700 ft high skyscraper. (Ted Stepien threw softballs from a skyscraper he owned to celebrate buying the Cleveland Cavliers. Unfortunately, he failed to account for the wind and the softballs blew off course, smashing a car windshield, fracturing a man's cheek, and fracturing a woman's wrist. The ensuing panic resulted in numerous other minor injuries. The incident inspired one of the greatest TV episodes in history - the WKRP Thanksgiving episode).

Plus, there should be a physics problem involving soccer referee Nicole and 100,000 angry mirror wielding fans in an alternate history where Nicole actually has Liu Ling retake her penalty shot when goalkeeper Briana comes off her line early to make a save, denying the fans the opportunity to see Brandi rip her shirt off (i.e. - a replay of Arthur Clarke's short story "A Slight Case of Sunstroke").
lisab
May23-11, 02:29 PM
Mentor
P: 2,977
Quote Quote by BobG View Post
Okay, I understand who most of these people are, but who the heck is skydiver Branco?

I would have gone with skydiver "Dummy" Mahan. He presents a lot more opportunities for physics scenarios. Dummy Mahan's real name was Frederico Mesa, but his boxing name of Fred Mahan gave him better opportunities as a boxer in the late 20's. His nickname came from the fact that he was deaf and dumb. He fought for the welterweight championship a couple of times, but lost both fights. Along the way, someone had suggested that the pressure change created by skydiving might cure his deafness... and the couple times he tried it, it seemed to give him hearing for very short periods after the jump.

Which led to one of the worst hype events in sports history. Mahan would parachute from an airplane to cure his deafness with a bevy of reporters to record the miraculous event, which should get him into the news and increase the interest in his upcoming boxing match.

Wow, he must have gone ballistic.
Chi Meson
May24-11, 05:27 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,772
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
I see what you did there.
lisab
May24-11, 09:27 AM
Mentor
P: 2,977
Quote Quote by Chi Meson View Post
I see what you did there.
rhody
May24-11, 11:17 AM
PF Gold
P: 765
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
Lisa,

As in terminal velocity ballistic ? hehe...

Rhody... sh.., now, where is that damn rip chord !!!
mankin2006
May24-11, 11:42 AM
P: 2
Quote Quote by BobG View Post

Oh man, that's gotta hurt
Jimmy Snyder
May24-11, 11:55 AM
P: 2,179
Quote Quote by mankin2006 View Post
Oh man, that's gotta hurt
But easy to do. The only hard part is the ground when you come right down to it.

[itex]\copyright[/itex] 3970 BCE, Cain Adamson.

Cain was a very funny guy. In the words of Abel Adamson, "He slays me."
turbo
May24-11, 12:02 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
But easy to do. The only hard part is the ground when you come right down to it.
Jimmy, you are volcano-bait for sure!!
rhody
May24-11, 12:51 PM
PF Gold
P: 765
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
Lisa is trying to out do you, but you keep coming back with priceless gems... what say you (Saturday Night Live Lisa ?)

Rhody...
Jimmy Snyder
May24-11, 12:52 PM
P: 2,179
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
Jimmy, you are volcano-bait for sure!!
Like the majority of my jokes, that one's lifted. I just edited my earlier post.

Register to reply