Mass of a particle in magnetic field

by sonic52260
Tags: field, magnet, magnetic, mass, particle
Share this thread:
sonic52260
May29-11, 05:09 PM
P: 4
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A positively charged particle (q= 1.6 x 10^-19C) is travelling at 1.9 x 10^4 m/s perpendicular to a 1.0 x 10^-3 T magnetic field. If the radius of the resulting path is 0.40m, what is the particles mass?

2. Relevant equations

F=Qvb
B= u x N/L x I

3. The attempt at a solution

This chapter has failed to give me an example solution to any questions so far, it's a terribly done online course,
Anyways, I really appreciate any help in solving this, it'll make the rest of the chapter much, much more understandable.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
MisterX
May29-11, 05:28 PM
P: 581
Have you studied uniform circular motion? Have you heard of centripetal force? Sometimes you may have to use what you know from outside the one chapter from which you trying to solve problems.
sonic52260
May29-11, 05:31 PM
Since magnetic force is perpendicular to the magnetic field, wouldn't centripetal force be not be an issue as the particle is moving perpendicular?

sonic52260
May29-11, 05:35 PM
Mass of a particle in magnetic field

Oh, nevermind about the last post there.
How about:
R= (mv)/(qB)
and the particle would be travelling around the field, not in a straight line. My bad on that one.
sonic52260
May29-11, 05:39 PM
So getting mass from that formula using
.4m= (mx1.9E4)/(1.6E-19 x 1E-3)
The mass would end up being
3.4E-27kg
Let me know if i got this sucker right :)

Register to reply