Importance of Wattage Difference

by Megasundato
Tags: difference, importance, wattage
Share this thread:
Megasundato
Jun17-11, 03:57 PM
P: 30
Hello, me again with another rookie question. lol

I've almost completed all of the circuits for my robot; however, I noticed that the parts list required all of my resistors to be 1/4 watts, but the majority of resistors I've applied are 1/2 watts.

I'm kind of pressed for time right now so I'm probably not going to start over unless it's of absolute necessity to do so. I just need to ask a few questions.

What would be the effects of the wattage difference? I'm ok if it's something trivial such as faster or slower movements, but I definitely won't want to damage the BS2 stamp.

What would be the effects of connecting a 1/4 resistor and a 1/2 resistor?

As I said, I don't mind if it's just trivial problems, but if it might damage it or if it would just not work, I would need to change it.

If it helps, here is the link to the schematics I'm using

http://www.reconnsworld.com/bs2sonar.html

Thanks for your help
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
An innovative system anticipates driver fatigue in the vehicle to prevent accidents
Squink personal factory aims to make circuit prototyping easy
Catching grease to cut grill pollution
DragonPetter
Jun17-11, 04:11 PM
P: 834
If the design requires 1/4 watt resistors, and you use 1/2 watt resistors, everything should work the same, and your build should actually be more robust in temperature extremes.

The watt rating mainly serves to define how much power the resistor can dissipate before it burns up. Your only problem would be if the design asks for a higher watt resistor and you put a lower watt in its place, then the resistor is at risk to burning up.

Performance shouldn't make a difference if all else is equal.
skeptic2
Jun17-11, 04:14 PM
P: 1,803
They will take up a little more space on your circuit board than 1/4 watt resistors. Check to make sure there is enough space on your circuit board for them. Will they fit in the holes? Are there other components nearby that they may interfere with or that will interfere with them?

Megasundato
Jun17-11, 04:16 PM
Importance of Wattage Difference

Great. thanks for the help.
Megasundato
Jun17-11, 04:17 PM
no, I got a lot of spare room. thanks though.

Register to reply