Doomsday preppers

by Evo
Tags: doomsday, preppers
Share this thread:
Evo
Jun27-11, 09:13 PM
Mentor
P: 26,488
This is so sick. This show focuses on 4 families that believe in crackpot doomsday scenarios. The first family is preparing for a coronal mass ejection from the sun in 2012 that will destroy most of the earth.

They have two children, should they be allowed to expose children to such insane beliefs? He just announced at dinner with his two small children "a toast to the end of the world".

They have drills to make their children get into hazmat suits in under 6 minutes. The children live in constant fear.

Isn't this child abuse? Should mentally ill people be allowed to do this to children?

http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...-6202/Overview

Another family -

Mother: We have no other purpose in life than to prepare for armageddon.

Her young son: "I don't know if I can't eat this at the end of world."
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Law changed to allow 'unlocking' cellphones
Microsoft sues Samsung alleging contract breach
Best evidence yet for coronal heating theory detected by NASA sounding rocket
rootX
Jun27-11, 09:17 PM
P: 1,294
Just yesterday I was talking to my friend how Nat Geo is the only channel left that is not investing in stupid reality shows
turbo
Jun27-11, 09:22 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Is it real? Is this not a TV farce? If yes and no, the children should be given new homes with actual human parents.

BTW, if the Sun is going to go "tantrum" on us and destroy the Earth why make children get into hazmat suits? Does that bonehead believe that less than a paper's depth of Tyvek is going to protect his family from a nova?

Evo
Jun27-11, 09:25 PM
Mentor
Doomsday preppers

Quote Quote by rootX View Post
Just yesterday I was talking to my friend how Nat Geo is the only channel left that is not investing in stupid reality shows
The entire wesbsite has nothing but crackpot doomsday shows. Just look at it!!

Ends of the earth

Forecast 2012 prophecies of the Maya and others

Earth out of whack? Pole shift cataclysm

Apocolypse How? Disasters that might strike anytime

Prophecy of destruction - discover Ancient Maya Text
micromass
Jun27-11, 09:27 PM
Mentor
P: 18,099
Oh my god, that's so sad for the children

People who want to adopt children need to go through several tests and get checked very well. As it should be.

But for some reason, most loonies out here can have children without anybody checking whether they are good parents...
Evo
Jun27-11, 09:31 PM
Mentor
And Nat Geo is encouraging them, saying, our experts say these people have done well to prepare themselves for doomsday, and here are a few more insane things they should do!!!!!!!1111111

I'm in complete shock. Has the world gone mad? Is the pursuit of the almighty dollar, screw reality, all that matters anymore? What can we do to stop the insanity?

If they post the text of the show, I will post a link to it.
micromass
Jun27-11, 09:33 PM
Mentor
P: 18,099
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
And Nat Geo is encouraging them, saying, our experts say these people have done well to prepare themselves for doomsday, and here are a few more insane things they should do!!!!!!!1111111
What???? Who in earth are these "experts"?? This is seriously sickening.
Evo
Jun27-11, 09:34 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by micromass View Post
What???? Who in earth are these "experts"?? This is seriously sickening.
They don't say who the *experts* are.

Nat Geo had credibility and is why this is so frightening. They're telling people that doomsday scenarios are real and preparation should be started now. The experts' only criticism of the doomsday crackpots is that they haven't included their neighbors, so run a risk of being attacked when doomsday comes.
Evo
Jun27-11, 09:53 PM
Mentor
A person that is training his family to kill their neighbors because they think the economy will crash and food will disappear and their neighbors will come after their food.

The *experts: You might want to better hide your complex and increase your numbers, otherwise you have done a great job of preparing for survival.

Watching this I feel at some point they will announce that it's just a sick joke. But with only a few minutes left, I guess not.

The next family is preparing for a nuclear holocaust on Omaha, Nebraska by terrorists. If Omaha is hit by nukes, he has a backpack with what he needs for 72 hours to get to his bunker. ROFL!!!

In the event of a nuclear holocaust, it's nice to have a comfortable place to saty. We have ramen and mac n cheese.
He also has small children that are subjected to this insanity.

The expert says this is a great idea, you just need more water.
Proton Soup
Jun27-11, 10:38 PM
P: 1,070
is it any worse than the Duck and Cover nuclear holocaust campaign from the government years ago?

kids'll be ok. we got through y2k and we'll get through this, too.
waht
Jun27-11, 11:03 PM
P: 1,636
The yearning for things to be over and the end of the world will never stop.
Evo
Jun27-11, 11:14 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Proton Soup View Post
is it any worse than the Duck and Cover nuclear holocaust campaign from the government years ago?
This is nothing like that.

kids'll be ok. we got through y2k and we'll get through this, too.
I don't see any way that the kids will be ok. They are told they are about to die and are forced into rigorous daily training to prepare to kill friends and neighbors.
Willowz
Jun27-11, 11:25 PM
P: 256
Guess they are really desperate for money.
HeLiXe
Jun27-11, 11:41 PM
P: 410
Quote Quote by Willowz View Post
Guess they are really desperate for money.
Yeah it's different from any other programming ... a new twist.
rootX
Jun28-11, 12:24 AM
P: 1,294
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
A person that is training his family to kill their neighbors because they think the economy will crash and food will disappear and their neighbors will come after their food.

The *experts: You might want to better hide your complex and increase your numbers, otherwise you have done a great job of preparing for survival.

Watching this I feel at some point they will announce that it's just a sick joke. But with only a few minutes left, I guess not.

The next family is preparing for a nuclear holocaust on Omaha, Nebraska by terrorists. If Omaha is hit by nukes, he has a backpack with what he needs for 72 hours to get to his bunker. ROFL!!!

He also has small children that are subjected to this insanity.

The expert says this is a great idea, you just need more water.

I think all these shows are a result of efforts in increasing science and technology awareness among the general public. As people see that science and technology are playing important role in their lives, they are forcing to learn them from their personal perspectives. (This is my best personal explanation for why there are so many reality shows on Discovery, Nat , ..)
Pyrrhus
Jun28-11, 12:30 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,278
I've seen this trend lately. I used to watch Discovery, and the History channel quite a bit during my high school years. Now, I just avoid them... It seems Reality TV Shows have become the favorite form of entertainment. Welcome to watered down "science" TV packaged for ratings
Proton Soup
Jun28-11, 01:09 AM
P: 1,070
ok, i've seen it. most of it, anyway. got a little bored. i most liked the guy growing cardboard-flavored fish in his aquachickenarium. he's a bubble off, but mostly not unharmless.
Willowz
Jun28-11, 01:13 AM
P: 256
Quote Quote by Pyrrhus View Post
I've seen this trend lately. I used to watch Discovery, and the History channel quite a bit during my high school years. Now, I just avoid them... It seems Reality TV Shows have become the favorite form of entertainment. Welcome to watered down "science" TV packaged for ratings
Yeah. They should soon just show pourn on every channel. Nah, but overall it's not that bad. You have discovery science. "How do they do it" is pretty sweet.

Register to reply