doomsday preppers

by Evo
Tags: doomsday, preppers
Evo
Jun28-11, 08:08 PM
Mentor
P: 25,932
Quote Quote by micromass View Post
I just think they are really sensitive people who are really scared by all the fear mongering of the media. There might be some paranoid people out there (certainly the ones you described in the national geographic show)
That's what I'm talking about, people that have underground bunkers, put their children through drills, stuff that's really beyond normal.

There is a town in france that has been swarmed with Raelians that believe that it is the only place on earth that will escape the Mayan 2012 doomsday.

I'll get the articles.

I love one guy's comment "every year as December 31st approaches on my calendar, I realize that the end of my calendar means the end of time. Then my kids get me a new calendar for Christmas and everything is ok for another year".

He actually said it better, but you get the gist.
lisab
Jun28-11, 08:42 PM
Mentor
P: 2,915
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
That's what I'm talking about, people that have underground bunkers, put their children through drills, stuff that's really beyond normal.

There is a town in france that has been swarmed with Raelians that believe that it is the only place on earth that will escape the Mayan 2012 doomsday.

I'll get the articles.

I love one guy's comment "every year as December 31st approaches on my calendar, I realize that the end of my calendar means the end of time. Then my kids get me a new calendar for Christmas and everything is ok for another year".

He actually said it better, but you get the gist.
Is this the one?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-visitors.html

The mayor of a picturesque French village has threatened to call in the army to seal it off from a tide of New Age fanatics and UFO watchers, who are convinced it is the only place on Earth to be spared Armageddon in 2012.
I feel bad for those villagers.
rootX
Jun28-11, 08:42 PM
P: 1,295
Post disaster crisis handling is job of the government not of individuals.

All the government agencies advice on what kind of measures should be taken during crisis.
Evo
Jun28-11, 08:44 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
Is this the one?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-visitors.html

I feel bad for those villagers.
Yes, very sad for those poor villagers.

See here.

http://old.news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110...k_france_sects
micromass
Jun28-11, 08:46 PM
Mentor
P: 16,581
Quote Quote by 550paracord View Post
I say who cares what others teach their children, it is THEIR children NOT yours.
Children are not your private property, you can't just do with them whatever you like. Hitting your children hard is child abuse. Telling children that other people are after you and want to steal whatever you have is child abuse. Lletting children do drills and instilling fear in them is child abuse. I don't think this should be tolerated.
BavarianRaven
Jun28-11, 09:15 PM
P: 7
The point is that the people in the superdome just didn't have the money to stock up food.
all it takes is 10 or 15 dollars a week and a bit of creativity to stock-pile several weeks worth of food and water...

If your home is under water, and all of your survival kits are under water, what's your point?
BOB... a bug-out-bag. a small kit to grab should you have to flee. some water and food and clothing and medical supplies and a few other goodies to keep you going until you reach somewhere safe :)
micromass
Jun28-11, 09:19 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Pigpen View Post
A few cans of beans, some water, ramen noodles. Does not seem like that would cost a lot.
Well, perhaps the people did that. But then suddenly they find their houses underwater and their supplies ruined. What to do then?
The thing with Katrina was that nobody expected the levees would break. If they didn't break, then most would have been fine.

We all saw Katrina comming a week in advance. Plenty of time to prepare, be it stocking up on food and stuff or hoofing it out of there. People chose to be lazy and not do anything.
Haha, that's not the first time I heard that poor people are lazy. Well, I guess it says quite a lot about you.
Evo
Jun28-11, 09:27 PM
Mentor
To be clear, we are discussing armageddon, holocaust nutters in this thread.

We are not discussing hurricane or other storm preparedness scenarios.

We're not discussing people that fear a few weeks of a power outage. We are discussing people that, as that woman on the show said
Mother: We have no other purpose in life than to prepare for armageddon.
ideasrule
Jun28-11, 09:28 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,324
Everyone has their own limits for the risks they're willing to take, and if someone wants to stockpile a few days' worth of food just in case a disaster hits, I think that's fine. However, stockpiling weeks of food for an EMP when there's absolutely no credible threat of an EMP is just ridiculous. You're probably much more likely to die while driving or crossing the road than you are to ever use those supplies.
micromass
Jun28-11, 09:30 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Pigpen View Post
Point is preparations are not only physical things. Like I said, we all saw it coming people chose to do nothing. Don't throw the "they were too poor to do anything for themself" card, been played already.
So basically you're saying that I can't throw that card because you don't like that argument?? It happens to be the reality here.
BavarianRaven
Jun28-11, 09:31 PM
Everyone has their own limits for the risks they're willing to take, and if someone wants to stockpile a few days' worth of food just in case a disaster hits, I think that's fine. However, stockpiling weeks of food for an EMP when there's absolutely no credible threat of an EMP is just ridiculous. You're probably much more likely to die while driving or crossing the road than you are to ever use those supplies.
i wouldnt put the risk at 0% for an EMP. It has happened before: the sun can cause an EMF blast (happened in the eighteen hundreds and fried telegraph lines. Today, potentially, it could be much much worse). Rare it is... but not impossible. Better to need it and have it then need it and not have it.

And as an aside (not that I have or will do this...but for the sake of argument), if I want to stock-pile 5 years of food and can afford to do so, what gives you the right to say that its stupid or should not be allowed. Am I hurting you? Nope. If I want to teach myself to defend myself in a dozen ways? is that hurting you? Nope. If I want to grow all of my own food and am not bugging anyone? SHould I not be allowed to do that?

Granted, you should not be scaring young kids like that. Now that being said, there is nothing wrong with teaching kids to defend themselves (once they are old enough to realize what they are learning and are mature enough too). Heck, better this then letting the TV raise your kids imho, or letting them get into drugs and alcohol and the such...
Evo
Jun28-11, 09:36 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by BavarianRaven View Post
i wouldnt put the risk at 0% for an EMP. It has happened before: the sun can cause an EMF blast (happened in the eighteen hundreds and fried telegraph lines. Today, potentially, it could be much much worse). Rare it is... but not impossible. Better to need it and have it then need it and not have it.
The 1800's, yeah, post that. How many people had phones in the 1800's?

And as an aside (not that I have or will do this...but for the sake of argument), if I want to stock-pile 5 years of food and can afford to do so, what gives you the right to say that its stupid or should not be allowed. Am I hurting you? Nope.
And if you had bothered to read this thread, you'd see that we have no problem with hoarders, if that's all you are.
Evo
Jun28-11, 09:38 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by BobG View Post
Saying nobody expected the levees to break is an exaggeration. In fact, the fear of the levees breaking was one of the reasons for trying to evacuate the entire city.

It is true that many of the people that stayed didn't believe the levees would break. Or that believed they could take care of themselves and weather it out in their attic. Hence the other warnings also put out on TV that those foolish enough to try to weather it out in their attic should at least take something with them so they could cut through the roof when the water got too high.

And, even some of those that believed there was a possibility of the levees breaking stayed - either because of a lack of transportation or because they were afraid someone would loot their house while they were gone.

The possibility of the levees breaking was no surprise to the overwhelming majority of people in the town. It was only a surprise to those that refused to believe the warnings.

I would be shocked if there were even one household that was prepared to evacuate in an emergency that found their supplies suddenly ruined because the levees broke.
Bob, you live in Colorado, how much food have you stockpiled?

And no more hurricanes and tornadoes, this is about wacko armageddon. Any more off topic posts will be deleted and infractions given.
ideasrule
Jun28-11, 09:40 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,324
It's not impossible, but if it's much less likely than me dying of a heart attack or in a car crash, I'd rather focus on those scenarios.

And as an aside (not that I have or will do this...but for the sake of argument), if I want to stock-pile 5 years of food and can afford to do so, what gives you the right to say that its stupid or should not be allowed. Am I hurting you? Nope.
The fact that you're not hurting me doesn't automatically make your opinions 100% correct. You're perfectly free to stockpile 5 years of food, just as I'm perfectly free to believe that Earth is flat, but that doesn't mean either is rational.
Viktor_Reznov
Jun28-11, 09:41 PM
P: 6
Ok this has gone off to the deep end.

I don't care to debate my lifestyle and what I feel is right for my family in good days or bad.

Some people are making a case from a TV show which was cut and edited to make it more spectacular than it is.

If you want more info PM me, also my email should be in my profile.

Want some more information? Go listen to something like the survival podcast who're motto is:
Helping You Live the Life You Want, If Times Get Tough, Or Even If They Don't

Ciao ;)
BavarianRaven
Jun28-11, 09:42 PM
And if you had bothered to read this thread, you'd see that we have no problem with hoarders, if that's all you are
evidently you do. its called being prepared...not hoarding ;)
sure a small percent do have OCD and the such... most are just people who want to see their family and friends cared for should the worse happen.

he 1800's, yeah, post that. How many people had phones in the 1800's?
thats the whole point. no one knows how bad it would be today? it might be nothing... or it could nock out everything from computers to cars to planes and the such... and imagine the hell that could create. the odds are low. but i like playing it safe =D
rootX
Jun28-11, 09:47 PM
P: 1,295
Quote Quote by bill1064 View Post
While all the intelligent rational people were sitting on their roof waiting for the government to save them.

While the rational
Quoting my original post:
Post disaster crisis handling is job of the government not of individuals.

All the government agencies advice on what kind of measures should be taken during crisis.
You don't need to go to self proclaimed experts to know how to prepare for disasters. Neither, you need to be self proclaimed expert to be prepared for disasters.
micromass
Jun28-11, 09:47 PM
Mentor
evidently you do. its called being prepared...not hoarding ;)
sure a small percent do have OCD and the such... most are just people who want to see their family and friends cared for should the worse happen.
Well, it is hoarding. And it's not a bad thing to do. We're discussing the nutters on national geographic, not the people that are "prepared".

thats the whole point. no one knows how bad it would be today? it might be nothing... or it could nock out everything from computers to cars to planes and the such... and imagine the hell that could create. the odds are low. but i like playing it safe =D
And you think that our technology didn't improve with respect to 1800?? And you think that power companies don't anticipate the trouble??

Register to reply