Register to reply

Definition of Lie derivatives

by yifli
Tags: definition, derivatives
Share this thread:
yifli
Jun28-11, 02:23 PM
P: 70
Let [itex]\varphi[/itex] be a one-parameter group on a manifold M, and let [itex]f[/itex] be a differentiable function on M, the derivative of f with respect to [itex]\varphi[/itex] is the defined as the limit:

[tex]\lim_{t\to 0} \frac{\varphi^*_t[f]-f}{t}(x)=\lim_{t\to 0}\frac{f\circ \varphi_x(t)-f\circ \varphi_x(0)}{t}=D_{\varphi_x}f=X(x)f,[/tex]
where [itex]X(x)[/itex] is a tangent vector at x and the operator [itex]D_\varphi[/itex] is defined as [itex]D_\varphi f=\frac{df\circ \varphi}{dt}\bigg|_{t=0}[/itex]

I don't understand why [itex]D_{\varphi_x}f=X(x)f[/itex]. According to the chain rule, I would get [itex]D_{\varphi_x}f=d_x f \circ d_0 \varphi(x)=X(x)d_x f[/itex]
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
quasar987
Jun29-11, 07:51 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,771
Your last expression X(x)d_xf is ill defined, as X(x) is a differential operator on functions on M, whereas d_xf is a 1-form on M.

On the other hand, if you expand [itex]d_xf\circ d_0\varphi(x)[/itex], you get

[tex]\sum_i\frac{\partial f}{\partial x^i}\frac{d\varphi^i_x(t)}{dt}(0)=\sum_i \frac{\partial f}{\partial x^i}X^i(x)[/tex]

which is X(x)f by definition.
yifli
Jun29-11, 10:44 AM
P: 70
Quote Quote by quasar987 View Post
Your last expression X(x)d_xf is ill defined, as X(x) is a differential operator on functions on M, whereas d_xf is a 1-form on M.

On the other hand, if you expand [itex]d_xf\circ d_0\varphi(x)[/itex], you get

[tex]\sum_i\frac{\partial f}{\partial x^i}\frac{d\varphi^i_x(t)}{dt}(0)=\sum_i\frac{\partial f}{\partial x^i}X^i(x)[/tex]

which is X(x)f by definition.
I read the book again and found out it's just the notation they use:
for any differentiable function f defined about x and any tangent vector [itex]\xi[/itex] they set [itex]\xi(f)=D_\varphi(f)[/itex] where [itex]\varphi \in \xi[/itex] (they define a tangent vector as an equivalence class), so [itex]D_{\varphi_x}f=X(x)f[/itex]

@quasar987: The way you expand [itex]d_xf\circ d_0\varphi_x[/itex] is actually the chain rule in Cartesian space, so it is true only if [itex]\varphi:R\rightarrow R^m[/itex] and [itex]f: R^m\rightarrow R[/itex].

Moreover, I just realized it's not correct to use the chain rule in this case:
[tex]\begin{align*}
D_{\varphi_x}f & = \frac{df\circ \varphi_x}{dt}\bigg|_{t=0} (\mbox{definition of } D_\varphi) \\
& = d_xf \circ d_0 \varphi_x (\mbox{not true because f is defined on a manifold, so the differential of f is not } d_xf. )
\end{align*}[/tex]

Register to reply