Dear Windows XP, I hate you

by Pengwuino
Tags: dear, hate, windows
Share this thread:
Pengwuino
Jul15-11, 04:13 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
No, I know this was far from a small upgrade. I mean other times when I put something new in that's not a major upgrade, it poops up just like it's pooping up now. Last time I put in a new hard drive for storage, I started losing the ability to load up hard drives left and right.

I know how to get what I want, I've been building and servicing computers for over a decade, it just annoys me how I have to fix things.

On the other hand, it sounds like the computer failing to boot because I put a new mobo in is to be expected based on that KB entry you linked me! Good to know now!
rcgldr
Jul15-11, 04:35 AM
HW Helper
P: 7,054
Quote Quote by Pengwuino View Post
Last time I put in a new hard drive for storage, I started losing the ability to load up hard drives left and right.
The BIOS in your system "orders" your hard drives, giving each one a logical number, which is used in BOOT.INI to select which drive to boot from (rdisk(#)). If you add a hard drive, you may have to go into the BIOS and "reorder" the hard drives, until XP boots up (otherwise you get some missing ??? driver error message).

> There's some issue with XP original ...

The original version of Windows XP doesn't support SATA or hard drives greater than 137GB in size. If you have an original version, you'll need to create a new bootable cd-rom by slipstreaming SP3 onto it (no point in slip streaming an older service pack, and I don't think you can get SP1 anymore, not sure about SP2).

In the rare case you used a raid driver, you'll need to slip stream that as well. These used to install via floppy drives, but motherboard don't include floppy drives, and although there are some USB floppy drives that Windows XP install will work with, the floppy disk itself may no longer be readable.
WiFO215
Jul15-11, 05:08 AM
P: 413
I've been running Linux for a few years now and haven't looked back. I cringe everytime I have to work with a MS PC somewhere, which is mostly in my relatives places where they want me to fix things. So painful. Linux FTW!
Pengwuino
Jul15-11, 06:00 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by rcgldr View Post
The BIOS in your system "orders" your hard drives, giving each one a logical number, which is used in BOOT.INI to select which drive to boot from (rdisk(#)). If you add a hard drive, you may have to go into the BIOS and "reorder" the hard drives, until XP boots up (otherwise you get some missing ??? driver error message).

> There's some issue with XP original ...

The original version of Windows XP doesn't support SATA or hard drives greater than 137GB in size. If you have an original version, you'll need to create a new bootable cd-rom by slipstreaming SP3 onto it (no point in slip streaming an older service pack, and I don't think you can get SP1 anymore, not sure about SP2).

In the rare case you used a raid driver, you'll need to slip stream that as well. These used to install via floppy drives, but motherboard don't include floppy drives, and although there are some USB floppy drives that Windows XP install will work with, the floppy disk itself may no longer be readable.
Yes I knew all of this. This went way beyond that. My motherboard was old and I bought a new raid SATA card and along with getting 2 SATA chipsets to play nicely with each other, I had my computer just randomly deciding it knew better which hard drive to try to boot off of. It was epic. I was this close to grabbing my shotgun and voiding some warranties.
rcgldr
Jul15-11, 12:20 PM
HW Helper
P: 7,054
I had my computer just randomly deciding it knew better which hard drive to try to boot off of.
You could add multiple entries to BOOT.INI so that it contains something like this, which would allow you to select which drive to boot from, assuming your BIOS doesn't renumber the drives on each reboot.

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(0)\WINDOWS="XP drive 0" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(0)\WINDOWS="XP drive 1" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(0)\WINDOWS="XP drive 2" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(3)partition(0)\WINDOWS="XP drive 3" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
Mark44
Jul15-11, 12:38 PM
Mentor
P: 21,214
Quote Quote by Greg Bernhardt View Post
I must be the only person in the world who has never had a significant complaint with Windows. I run Win7 now with no problems. I think it's really good. Maybe i'm just lucky.
No problems for me, either. I run XP at home (I have the Win 7 install disk, but haven't done the install, yet). At work I have Win7 on two computers, and Win Server 08 and Win Server 03 on another two computers. I don't have any problems with any of them.

IMO, the main reason for problems with Windows is hardware drivers. These are generally provided by hardware vendors, but run at a privileged level in the kernel just like Windows does. It used to be fairly common for a driver to cause a "blue screen" (AKA BSOD, or blue screen of death). I've only seen a single blue screen in at least the six or seven years. The only hardware problem I've encountered was on my home computer with XP, and I was able to solve the problem by updating my video driver.
Studiot
Jul15-11, 12:59 PM
P: 5,462
IMO, the main reason for problems with Windows is hardware drivers.
And there was I thinking the main problem was all those silly users.

Silly me.

Pengwuino
Jul15-11, 03:57 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by rcgldr View Post
You could add multiple entries to BOOT.INI so that it contains something like this, which would allow you to select which drive to boot from, assuming your BIOS doesn't renumber the drives on each reboot.
That was one of the problems, it was! It's like it was toying with me, just wanting me to drop it off the grand canyon.
Chronos
Jul16-11, 02:28 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,387
How soon we forget windows 2000 - worst ever windows OS. I skipped that iteration and jumped from W97 to XP. I never had any issues with XP hardware upgrades, but, agree W7 is the most user friendly version of windows to date.
rhody
Jul19-11, 06:09 AM
PF Gold
P: 765
That was one of the problems, it was! It's like it was toying with me, just wanting me to drop it off the grand canyon.
Quote Quote by Chronos View Post
How soon we forget windows 2000 - worst ever windows OS. I skipped that iteration and jumped from W97 to XP. I never had any issues with XP hardware upgrades, but, agree W7 is the most user friendly version of windows to date.
Pengy,

Save yourself a ton of trouble, bite the bullet and upgrade to (gad...) Windows 7. Wave a happy flipper this way if it makes your life easier and addresses your issues.

Rhody... who will wave back with a hand...
Pengwuino
Jul19-11, 07:10 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Chronos View Post
You're forgetting Windows ME.

And vista.
Chronos
Jul20-11, 12:32 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,387
Vista was just the beta version of W7 released for debugging by the unwashed masses
jhae2.718
Jul20-11, 04:57 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,153
Windows 2000 wasn't that bad. Sure, it lacked USB support until SP4, if I remember correctly, but in my experience it was pretty stable for a M$ operating system.

XP was basically 2000 with USB and a new UI, and didn't really become a decent OS until SP2/SP3.

Vista/7 (they're basically the same, Vista is NT 6.0, 7 is NT 6.1) is actually rather decent. Vista wasn't really a finished product when it was released, so it perhaps unfairly got a bad reputation. There's not much different in 7. Unfortunately, IMO the NT 6.* line really messed up a lot of the good features trying to be "user friendly".

Of course, I only boot into Windows now for games or SolidWorks, and do all my work in Unix-like operating systems.

Register to reply