PF Logo Contest: Theory of Relativity

In summary, the PF logo will change to be E=mc2 starting on 27 September. The contest will end on 15 September and the winner will be shown on the main page. Multiple submissions are allowed, but the logo must be used only once.
micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Theory of Relativity

The theme of this contest will be the theory of relativity, and in particular the equation [itex]E=mc^2[/itex]. On 27 september 1905, Einstein published the paper in which the famous equation [itex]E=mc^2[/itex] first appears.

This contest will end on 15 september. This way we will have enough time to vote the logo before 27 september. The winning logo will be shown on the main page around the 27 september! (but see Rule 7)

Contest Rules:

1. Any logo or doodle that fits the theme will be accepted during the contest period. The contest period will end on 15 september, after which no more logo's will be accepted.

2. The idea is that the logo will replace the prime logo on the main page. This logo has sizes 339x95. Please use the exact same height. Width can be negotiated a bit. Also try to let the logo blend in perfectly with the rest of the site (i.e. it must use roughly the same background for example). You may of course use the current to start with. The current logo can be found at https://www.physicsforums.com/Prime/theme/Prime_Logo.gif

3. Upload your logo's to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Greg may request the "unflattened" version for optimization (PSD file).

4. Multiple submissions per member are allowed. But note that once a logo is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawal.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the logo they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The choice of whether we actually use the logo in the site is completely up to Greg. So even if the logo wins in the polls, it may still happen that it is not shown on the main page, or that another logo is shown.

8. Cooperating with other members or with non-members is allowed for making a logo. But eventually, the member who posts the photo must have had some creative input in the logo. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

9. You can use a logo only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

Good luck everybody!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What? You are changing the title "Physics Forums" to "E=mc2".
Why? I really don't believe you, and you aren't any moderator. Is this a joke?

I_am_learning said:
Why? I really don't believe you, and you aren't any moderator. Is this a joke?
It's a logo contest and micromass is officially in charge.

I_am_learning said:

Anyway, I think we should still expect Physics Forums to be in the logo...

Good job Micromass!

Hrm. Decisions, decisions... Keep my efforts for my own personal gain, or share them for the greater good... :tongue:

Attached is the PF logo as a PSD with layers and without colour dithering.

It's not exactly right, but it's close. If anyone finds the correct flavour of Futura, pass it along and I'll fix it up.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the clarifications.
Its a nice idea!

Now i would have a "Doodle Contest Founder" in my recognititons...:tongue:

DaveC426913 said:
Hrm. Decisions, decisions... Keep my efforts for my own personal gain, or share them for the greater good... :tongue:

Attached is the PF logo as a PSD with layers and without colour dithering.

It's not exactly right, but it's close. If anyone finds the correct flavour of Futura, pass it along and I'll fix it up.

Enjoy!

Attachment?

lisab said:
Attachment?
Yes. DaveC has the PF logo tatooed on his "attachment".

Huh! It didn't attach! I'll have to try again tonight.

If someone can manage to download the correct font by then, I'll incorporate it. The one I found was close (it is Futura ET Heavy) but apparently not the same "flavour" as was used in the original logo.

Here it is.

I tried to exactly represent the logo as-is, but
a] can't do it with the font I have
b] can't bring myself to do it. The logo as-is is kind of wonky. The gap between y and s is bigger than Letterman's smile.

Anyway, enjoy!

Attachments

• PF Logo.psd
    128 KB · Views: 463
DaveC426913 said:
Here it is.

b] can't bring myself to do it. The logo as-is is kind of wonky. The gap between y and s is bigger than Letterman's smile.

Anyway, enjoy!

Dave, can you also make a .gif?? I can't open .psd since I don't have photoshop :frown:

micromass said:
Dave, can you also make a .gif?? I can't open .psd since I don't have photoshop :frown:

What's the point? Just use the original.

OK well, I guess I could pull the text away from the background at least...

Very well. Attached is the text with a transparent background. I've left a sliver of the bg available for use. All you have to do when you need it is take the small piece and stretch it to full width. (And delete my signature...)

Attachments

• PF-Logo.gif
    PF-Logo.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 507
DaveC426913 said:
What's the point? Just use the original.

Well, I guess I could pull the text away from the background at least...

Well, that way we can show it here and use it in a poll. It shouldn't be necessary for people to buy photoshop and to download all the attachments to view the logo's.
And I'm pretty curious about what you made :smile:

DaveC426913 said:
Here it is.

Anyway, enjoy!

lol, I read "Here it is" and went straight to see it. I opened it and I was :confused:...what the...? hahaha...

micromass said:
Well, that way we can show it here and use it in a poll. It shouldn't be necessary for people to buy photoshop and to download all the attachments to view the logo's.
And I'm pretty curious about what you made :smile:

Nonono, sorry. All I've done is provide a source file as a tool for others to use to produce their own logo. It's just a public service. I have not given it any treatment.

(It's attached above.)

DaveC426913 said:
Nonono, sorry. All I've done is provide a source file as a tool for others to use to produce their own logo. It's just a public service. I have not given it any treatment.

(It's attached above.)

Aaah, I see :smile:
Well, thanks a lot for helping the others!

micromass said:
Aaah, I see :smile:
Well, thanks a lot for helping the others!

I live but to serve The Contest.

This thread needs a bump. :)

This is just a bump.

re. David Letterman's smile. As a logo this is clearly too 'square'

A.l.e.x
T.r
e.b.e.c

mathal

mathal said:
This is just a bump.

re. David Letterman's smile. As a logo this is clearly too 'square'

A.l.e.x
T.r
e.b.e.c

mathal

Err...what?

Pranav-Arora said:
Err...what?

I passed comment a few posts back that my reconstructed logo is not the coprrect font - however, the current logo has a gap (between the y and the s) wider than the gap in David Letterman's teeth.

http://mysite.verizon.net/dperry1943/images/lettrmn.gif

Pranav-Arora said:
Err...what?

no. The question is "what is M.C. squared?"

mathal

Last edited:
mathal said:
no. The question is "what is M.C. squared?"

mathal

A.l.e.x
T..r
e.b.e.c

I added an extra dot here too.

mathal

mathal said:

A.l.e.x
T..r
e.b.e.c

I added an extra dot here too.

mathal

OK then I have no idea what you're talking about either.

I had assumed you fancied your real life name to be Alex Trebec and that was a fancy signature, but apparently that's not it. I haven't the foggiest idea what Alex Trebec has to do with anything.

I noticed the only restriction was height, not width, so it would qualify. If DaveC426193 wanted to work up this logo he could get half credit for it as his David Letterman comment inspired the idea. I lack the required software. Just imagine- Alex Trebec "Icon for a day"

mathal

DaveC426913 said:
OK then I have no idea what you're talking about either.

I had assumed you fancied your real life name to be Alex Trebec and that was a fancy signature, but apparently that's not it. I haven't the foggiest idea what Alex Trebec has to do with anything.

This contest is to create a logo for a day- the anniversary of the publishing of E=mc^2.

T.V. hosts used to be called M.C.s and the 'host' was the company paying for the show.
Alex Trebec is the host of Jepardy a show where the contestant provides the appropriate question for the given clue. If you look at the name Alex Trebec as it is shown it is in the form of the capitol letter E and in a square shape. E = M.C. squared
mathal

So, your idea -
for a logo for the Physics forum -
to celebrate the publication of E=mc^2 -

is to form Alex Trebec's name into a large E.

DaveC426913 said:
So, your idea -
for a logo for the Physics forum -
to celebrate the publication of E=mc^2 -

is to form Alex Trebec's name into a large E.

Hmm. Well Trebec is an MC, I guess.

lisab said:
Hmm. Well Trebec is an MC, I guess.

and he's a square.

1. What is the "PF Logo Contest: Theory of Relativity"?

The "PF Logo Contest: Theory of Relativity" is a scientific competition that challenges participants to create a logo that represents the concept of the Theory of Relativity. This theory, developed by Albert Einstein, explains how gravity affects the motion of objects in the universe.

2. Who can participate in the PF Logo Contest?

The PF Logo Contest is open to anyone with an interest in science and design. It is not limited to professional scientists or artists, and anyone can submit their logo design for consideration.

3. What is the purpose of the PF Logo Contest?

The purpose of the PF Logo Contest is to promote awareness and understanding of the Theory of Relativity through a creative and engaging platform. It also aims to showcase the intersection of science and art.

4. How will the winner of the PF Logo Contest be chosen?

The winner of the PF Logo Contest will be chosen by a panel of judges, consisting of scientists and design experts. They will evaluate the submissions based on creativity, relevance to the Theory of Relativity, and overall aesthetic appeal.

5. What are the prizes for the winner of the PF Logo Contest?

The winner of the PF Logo Contest will receive a cash prize and their logo will be featured on the official website and marketing materials for the Theory of Relativity. They will also have the opportunity to present their design at a scientific conference or event.