Post Grad in Physics: Academic Dilemma at 26

• Thread starter solace28
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Academic
In summary, the individual is considering pursuing a post-graduation degree in physics at the age of 26. They are seeking advice on whether they are too old for this and whether it is worth the time and effort. Responses suggest that age should not be a barrier and it ultimately depends on the individual's readiness and priorities. Grad school is a full-time commitment and may not have immediate financial benefits, but if it will bring happiness, it is worth pursuing.
solace28
hi all,
After completing my graduation (physics) in 2008 i had some hands on experience in teaching, now i feel i like to do a post graduation (in physics), I'm already 26, and my admissions will happen the next year, then on for phd...
am i being too old enough to go for my post graduation.. I'm in need of some serious advices in general please...

Physics news on Phys.org
no.

~P

One can never be too old.

ryan_m_b said:
One can never be too old.

yoda.jpg

It just depends on if you think you can handle going back to that lifestyle. Are you prepared to jump right back into difficult coursework? You should consider that you won't be done until your 30's, and then what do you want to do?

Stengah said:
You should consider that you won't be done until your 30's, and then what do you want to do?

thats motivating words :) thanks :)

Also consider that in your thirties, you'll be exactly where you are now unless you take steps to change things. Age is just a number.

Some people think of school and post-grad work as something you do before the REAL fun begins. I can't help but disagree.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be fun, I'm just saying you might have other priorities in life by that time. Grad school is a full time ordeal, and it doesn't exactly pay well. But if you think it will make you happier, go for it.

1. What is the average age for starting a post-grad program in physics?

The average age for starting a post-grad program in physics varies, but it is typically between 22-24 years old.

2. Is it common for someone to start a post-grad program in physics at the age of 26?

While it may not be the most common age, it is not uncommon for someone to start a post-grad program in physics at the age of 26. Many students take gap years or work in industry before pursuing further education.

3. Will starting a post-grad program in physics at 26 put me at a disadvantage in the job market?

No, starting a post-grad program in physics at 26 will not put you at a disadvantage in the job market. Employers value advanced degrees and the knowledge and skills gained from them, regardless of age.

4. What are the benefits of pursuing a post-grad program in physics at 26?

Some benefits of pursuing a post-grad program in physics at 26 include having work experience and a better understanding of your academic and career goals, which can help you make the most out of your program. Additionally, you may have more financial stability and maturity compared to younger students.

5. Are there any challenges that come with starting a post-grad program in physics at 26?

One potential challenge is adjusting to being in a different stage of life compared to your peers. Additionally, you may have to balance work or other responsibilities while pursuing your degree. However, these challenges can also bring valuable life experience and perspective to your studies.