View Poll Results: Favorite philosopher?
socrates 5 5.56%
plato 7 7.78%
aristotle 5 5.56%
nietzsche 10 11.11%
kierkegaard 5 5.56%
kant 4 4.44%
hume 5 5.56%
aquinas 1 1.11%
mill 1 1.11%
smith 1 1.11%
locke 0 0%
berkeley 0 0%
liebniz 6 6.67%
spinoza 5 5.56%
russel 6 6.67%
wittingstein 9 10.00%
other 20 22.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Register to reply

Who is your favorite philosopher?

by jduster
Tags: favorite, philosopher
Share this thread:
jduster
Aug7-11, 06:29 AM
P: 46
Hume is my favorite.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Office life' of bacteria may be their weak spot
Lunar explorers will walk at higher speeds than thought
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
wuliheron
Aug7-11, 12:03 PM
P: 1,967
The Tao Te Ching is among the top 3 all time best selling books in the world, but you left out Lao Tzu.
Willowz
Aug7-11, 12:53 PM
P: 256
I'd vote Spinoza. But, Wittgenstein is the modern version of him.

disregardthat
Aug7-11, 03:01 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,810
Who is your favorite philosopher?

Wittgenstein. Late Wittgenstein.
Willowz
Aug7-11, 03:26 PM
This late/early never really made much sense to me. I mean he says that the Investigations is sort of a continuation of earlier work. A "contrast" is the term he used.
disregardthat
Aug7-11, 04:42 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,810
It's obviously a different philosophical direction and style no matter how sharp one considers the distinction.
Willowz
Aug7-11, 05:08 PM
It always seemed to me as a more sociological and semi-psychological/cognitive approach. The Investigations that is.
Jimmy Snyder
Aug7-11, 05:30 PM
P: 2,179
I would have voted, but you left out Eddie Lawrence. You left out Wittgenstein too.
fuzzyfelt
Aug8-11, 04:00 AM
PF Gold
P: 742
I'd find this more interesting if reasons were given for the choice, for example, what is preferred about late Wittgenstein?
Willowz
Aug9-11, 07:30 PM
Some of you choose Liebnitz. Could you explain why? I mean, how does his philosophy of monads make any sense? What is the holistic view?
wuliheron
Aug10-11, 02:10 AM
Quote Quote by fuzzyfelt View Post
I'd find this more interesting if reasons were given for the choice, for example, what is preferred about late Wittgenstein?

Lao Tzu has the elegant simplicity of good physics. Its like poetry, either you like it or you don't and there's no accounting for taste.

Wittgenstein would be my second choice. I'd compare his later work to that of Socrates who managed to shift the focus in Greek philosophy away from metaphysics and more towards ethics and logistics by a simple and creative use of their own traditional Reductio ad absurdum approach. In his later work Wittgenstein helped to shift the focus of academic philosophy from Continental philosophy to Analytic philosophy and linguistics using again a simple and creative approach that incorporated the traditional logistics. Like Socrates' philosophy that of Wittgenstein is as interesting for its sweeping impact on academic philosophy as it is in and of itself.
fuzzyfelt
Aug11-11, 08:47 AM
PF Gold
P: 742
Quote Quote by wuliheron View Post
Lao Tzu has the elegant simplicity of good physics. Its like poetry, either you like it or you don't and there's no accounting for taste.

Wittgenstein would be my second choice. I'd compare his later work to that of Socrates who managed to shift the focus in Greek philosophy away from metaphysics and more towards ethics and logistics by a simple and creative use of their own traditional Reductio ad absurdum approach. In his later work Wittgenstein helped to shift the focus of academic philosophy from Continental philosophy to Analytic philosophy and linguistics using again a simple and creative approach that incorporated the traditional logistics. Like Socrates' philosophy that of Wittgenstein is as interesting for its sweeping impact on academic philosophy as it is in and of itself.
Thank you, wuliheron, that is exactly what I was hoping for! I think it is interesting to see what we find especially appealing in differing ideas. An elegant simplicity of good physics sounds a good reason. And thanks for the explanation you gave for late Wittgenstein, too.
wuliheron
Aug11-11, 12:54 PM
Quote Quote by fuzzyfelt View Post
Thank you, wuliheron, that is exactly what I was hoping for! I think it is interesting to see what we find especially appealing in differing ideas. An elegant simplicity of good physics sounds a good reason. And thanks for the explanation you gave for late Wittgenstein, too.
You're welcome.
Tosh5457
Aug11-11, 08:13 PM
P: 239
I'm gonna go with Leibniz because he invented differential and integral calculus...
PlatosHeaven
Aug11-11, 10:39 PM
P: 3
Either W.V.O. Quine or Hilary Putnam.

No love for analytic philosophy? Russell is the only one on the list and his name is spelled wrong.
Willowz
Aug20-11, 04:01 PM
Rorty is becoming my favourite philosopher. I love his nonchalant philosophy bashing.
yoda jedi
Aug22-11, 11:31 AM
P: 380

Aristotle.

FlexGunship
Aug22-11, 01:07 PM
PF Gold
P: 739
Lindsay Lohan

Quote Quote by Lindsay Lohan
People go to college to find who they are as a person and find what they want to do in life, and I kind of already know that so it would be like I`d be taking a step back or something.

Register to reply