Spherical to cartesian?

by yoamocuy
Tags: cartesian, conversion, spherical
Share this thread:
yoamocuy
Sep4-11, 02:31 PM
P: 40
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A field is given in spherical coordinates as F=[cos(θ)/r2]∙ar+[sin(θ)/r]∙aθ. Express F in terms of x, y, z, ax, ay, az

2. Relevant equations

ar∙ax=sin(θ)cos(∅)
ar∙ay=sin(θ)sin(∅)
ar∙az=cos(θ)
aθ∙ax=cos(θ)cos(∅)
aθ∙ay=cos(θ)sin(∅)
aθ∙az=-sin(θ)
x=r*sin(θ)*cos(∅)
y=r*sin(θ)*sin(∅)
z=r*cos(θ)
r=√(x2+y2+z2 )
cos(θ)=z/r
∅=tan-1(y/x)

3. The attempt at a solution
cos(θ)/r2*[sin(θ)cos(∅)ax+sin(θ)sin(∅)ay+cos(θ)az]+sin(θ)/r*[cos(θ)cos(∅)ax+cos(θ)cos(∅)ay-sin(θ)az]

z/r3*[sin(θ)cos(∅)ax+sin(θ)sin(∅)ay+cos(θ)az]+sin(θ)/r*[cos(θ)cos(∅)ax+cos(θ)cos(∅)ay-sin(θ)az]

(z*r)/r4*[sin(θ)cos(∅)ax+sin(θ)sin(∅)ay+cos(θ)az]+sin(θ)/r*[cos(θ)cos(∅)ax+cos(θ)cos(∅)ay-sin(θ)az]

z/r4*[xax+yay+zaz]+sin(θ)/r*[cos(θ)cos(∅)ax+cos(θ)cos(∅)ay-sin(θ)az]

z/(x2+y2+z2)3*[xax+yay+zaz]+sin(θ)/r*[cos(θ)cos(∅)ax+cos(θ)cos(∅)ay-sin(θ)az]

That's about as far as I've gotten. I'm not even sure if what I've done so far is on the right track or not :/ I'm not sure what to do with the 2nd half of this equation?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
vela
Sep4-11, 02:37 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 11,746
Use the fact that [itex]\vec{F} = (\vec{F}\cdot\hat{a}_x)\hat{a}_x + (\vec{F}\cdot\hat{a}_y)\hat{a}_y + (\vec{F}\cdot\hat{a}_z)\hat{a}_z[/itex].

Calculate [itex]\vec{F}\cdot \hat{a}_x[/itex] using the various dot products you listed above. Then convert from the spherical variables to the Cartesian variables.
yoamocuy
Sep4-11, 03:04 PM
P: 40
Quote Quote by vela View Post
Use the fact that [itex]\vec{F} = (\vec{F}\cdot\hat{a}_x)\hat{a}_x + (\vec{F}\cdot\hat{a}_y)\hat{a}_y + (\vec{F}\cdot\hat{a}_z)\hat{a}_z[/itex].

Calculate [itex]\vec{F}\cdot \hat{a}_x[/itex] using the various dot products you listed above. Then convert from the spherical variables to the Cartesian variables.
Isn't that what I did above? I didn't originally show the ax, ay, az in my work but I just added them in there for clarity.

vela
Sep4-11, 03:11 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 11,746
Spherical to cartesian?

Oh, OK. I didn't see the unit vectors in your original attempt, so I figured you were doing it all wrong and didn't bother to look too closely.

Register to reply