Register to reply

I am building a resume.

by flyingpig
Tags: building, resume
Share this thread:
flyingpig
Aug27-11, 10:33 AM
P: 2,568
No I cleaned bookshelves and computer screens with a feather duster...

As for the forum part, would it be wise to include say Yahoo!...? Would they think I spent way too much time on the internet if I "have time to do math on the internet"
Mark44
Aug27-11, 06:34 PM
Mentor
P: 21,280
Quote Quote by flyingpig View Post
No I cleaned bookshelves and computer screens with a feather duster...
So just say that you cleaned bookshelves and computer screens. If there is anything else you did on a regular basis, include that, but don't put "etc".

As for the forum part, would it be wise to include say Yahoo!...? Would they think I spent way too much time on the internet if I "have time to do math on the internet"
I don't believe they would be thinking this. IMO it would be good to include these activities, as they are in line with some of what you would be doing in the job you're applying for. They provide some evidence of your ability to work with students, so this experience seems applicable to me.
flyingpig
Aug30-11, 07:14 PM
Relevant Experience

School librarian at XYZ High School, Sometown, XY for two years. Duties included cleaning up computers and shutting them down, and cleaning bookshelves (god this is so boring to read and type out lol) and computer screens. (This is so boring and trivial, do you think they would even care?)

Member of Physics forum and Yahoo forum since Jan 1, 2009. Besides getting help for myself on these forums, I have helped other students with mathematics problems. I am fairly competent with Maple, Mathematica, and TeX.
flyingpig
Sep3-11, 07:20 PM
Okay how about this now? Why do I feel like this looked even worst? Is the formatting really ugly? I am gonna have to use WordPad if this does not work out.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf copy of 1.pdf (38.9 KB, 17 views)
flyingpig
Sep3-11, 09:54 PM
Mark please come back
leontd
Sep4-11, 02:27 PM
P: 16
Depend on where you are applying, if that area has computer, then listing down MS office is not a bad idea. You want to make sure that you list down all your profound skills even if it's not job related.
flyingpig
Sep4-11, 04:32 PM
Wouldn't my specialization kinda covered I know MS Word...?
hadsed
Sep4-11, 09:22 PM
P: 492
Yeah I always wonder about that. Like if I put proficient experience in Linux, BASH, and command-line stuff, doesn't that imply that I know my way around Windows? Though I guess to some people who don't know about Linux, it doesn't mean squat. Maybe better to leave nothing to chance.
flyingpig
Sep4-11, 09:29 PM
OKay how about this? New formatting too
Attached Files
File Type: pdf copy of 1.pdf (37.6 KB, 11 views)
Mark44
Sep4-11, 09:48 PM
Mentor
OKay how about this? New formatting too
Looks pretty good.

Some comments:
No such word as "revelant" - the word is relevant. Spelling really counts in resumes, unless of course, the people reading them are illiterate.

I would lean toward more specificity in the forums you participate in, such as Physics Forums - correct title. You might include the URL, which is http://www.physicsforums.com. Same deal with the Yahoo! forum you participate in.

For the librarian job, it might be helpful to put your duties in a bullet list, like so:

Duties:
  • Cleaning computers, monitors, computer mice, keyboards, and bookshelves
  • Shutting down computers
  • Loading printer paper
  • Putting litter and unclaimed print jobs in the appropriate bins
  • Organizing chairs
flyingpig
Sep4-11, 09:55 PM
Mark stay with me tonight lol
flyingpig
Sep4-11, 10:00 PM
Hmm why isn't $\bullet$ showing?
flyingpig
Sep4-11, 10:20 PM
Okay how about now? For some reason, bulleting it seem to make my duties not as much as writing it out lol
Attached Files
File Type: pdf copy of 1.pdf (45.4 KB, 30 views)
Mark44
Sep5-11, 12:10 PM
Mentor
How about adding a section on academic qualifications? You could list any classes you've taken that might be pertinent to the job you're applying for.
flyingpig
Sep5-11, 12:12 PM
Quote Quote by Mark44 View Post
How about adding a section on academic qualifications? You could list any classes you've taken that might be pertinent to the job you're applying for.
If I don't list any computer courses, I stand no chance. Would adding math courses only help? They aren't relevant (I spelled it right this time). I am taking a proof, analysis,
flyingpig
Sep5-11, 12:46 PM
Mark do I need references in my resume?
Mark44
Sep6-11, 12:09 AM
Mentor
Mark do I need references in my resume?
I don't think so.
flyingpig