Register to reply

Electromagnetic field strength tensor- Magnetic monopoles

Share this thread:
Lurian
Sep13-11, 01:14 PM
P: 5
Hey!

I stumbled across this problem while reading Wald's "General Relativity", but it belongs to Electrodynamics. In problem 3 of chapter 6 one has to find the general form of a static, spherically symmetric Maxwell tensor, which is clearly [itex]F_{ab}=A(r)(dt)_a \wedge (dr)_b+B(r)r(d\theta)_a \wedge r sin\theta (d\phi)_b[/itex]. Then, in part b, he states that a Maxwell tensor with B[itex]\neq[/itex]0 corresponds to a magnetic monopole. How can I interpret this? I was told that the deeper reason for this is that [itex]r(d\theta)_a \wedge r sin\theta (d\phi)_b=d^2\Omega[/itex] is not closed but that the exterior derivative is proportional to [itex]\delta^{(2)}(x)[/itex]. Where is the connection between these two statements?
Thank you for help
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond

Register to reply