Zz.What is the theory behind Dual Gate MOSFETs and current controlled diodes?

In summary, the individual is seeking information on Dual Gate MOSFETs and current controlled diodes. They have previously used Dual Gate MESFETs and are familiar with their structure and advantages. They are looking for additional online sources of information and are also interested in the theory behind current controlled diodes.
pottan
Hi,

I want to know more about Dual Gate MOSFETs, i.e, their structure, working, advantages etc... Googling "Dual Gate MOSFET" didn't help at all! So please suggest some sources (online) where I can find more information on them.

Also, where can I find more information on current controlled diodes (i.e, the theory)?

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.hamanuals.com/S1/CX7/Articles/Mosfet.pdf

I used Dual Gate MESFET before for high speed trans impedance amp design before. Basically it is like a cascode stage. The advantage is if you ac grounded the top gate, it become a cascode stage and you get rid of the Miller capacitance and increase the frequency response. By changing the bias on the top gate, you can change the gain of the stage.

In the first design in the front end of the ultrasound scanner in Siemens, the first engineer use the dual gate mosfet as a variable gain amp by adjusting the bias of the gate 1. Didn't workout very well, I changed it to a differential amp front end.

Last edited:
pottan said:
Hi,

I want to know more about Dual Gate MOSFETs, i.e, their structure, working, advantages etc... Googling "Dual Gate MOSFET" didn't help at all! So please suggest some sources (online) where I can find more information on them.

Also, where can I find more information on current controlled diodes (i.e, the theory)?

Welcome to the PF.

Since these are schoolwork questions, you are required to do the bulk of the work on them.

Also, what is a current-controlled diode? Can you provide links to where you have heard about them?

1. What is a Dual Gate MOSFET?

A Dual Gate MOSFET (Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor) is a type of field effect transistor that has two gate electrodes instead of one. This allows for more precise control of the current flow through the transistor.

2. How does a Dual Gate MOSFET work?

A Dual Gate MOSFET works by using the principle of a field effect transistor, where the flow of current between the source and drain terminals is controlled by the electric field created by the gate electrode(s). In a Dual Gate MOSFET, the two gate electrodes can be independently biased to control the electric field and therefore the current flow.

3. What are the advantages of a Dual Gate MOSFET?

One advantage of a Dual Gate MOSFET is its ability to provide more precise control of current flow compared to single gate MOSFETs. This allows for better performance in applications such as amplifiers and mixers. Additionally, Dual Gate MOSFETs have a lower noise figure and higher dynamic range.

4. What are the main applications of Dual Gate MOSFETs?

Dual Gate MOSFETs are commonly used in radio frequency (RF) applications such as amplifiers, mixers, and oscillators. They are also used in low noise amplifiers (LNAs), voltage-controlled oscillators (VCOs), and in some digital circuits.

5. How does the Dual Gate MOSFET differ from a single gate MOSFET?

The main difference between a Dual Gate MOSFET and a single gate MOSFET is the presence of two gate electrodes. This allows for more precise control of current flow and better performance in RF applications. Additionally, Dual Gate MOSFETs have a higher input impedance and lower gate-to-source capacitance compared to single gate MOSFETs.