Register to reply

Intuitively d'Alembert's solution to 1D wave equation

Share this thread:
ralqs
Oct10-11, 07:29 PM
P: 99
D'Alembert's solution to the wave equation is
[tex]u(x,t) = \frac{1}{2}(\phi(x+ct) + \phi(x-ct)) + \frac{1}{2c}\int_{x-ct}^{x+ct} \psi(\xi)d\xi[/tex] where [itex]\phi(x) = u(x,0)[/itex] and [itex]\psi(x) = u_t (x,0)[/itex]. I'm trying to understand this intuitively. The first term I get: a function like f = 0 (x/=0), = a (x=0) will "break into two functions" and become f = a/2 (x = +/- ct), = 0 (x /= +/- ct). But I can't see how the integral term comes about. Does anyone here have a good physical intuition about this? Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Montreal VR headset team turns to crowdfunding for Totem
Researchers study vital 'on/off switches' that control when bacteria turn deadly
lurflurf
Oct11-11, 08:48 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,264
The integral comes from the initial conditions. In particular the fact that we are given a derivative of our solution so our solution must be an integral of what we are given. Think of it in two steps.
We have the operator

(Dt)2-(c Dx)2=(Dt+c Dx)(Dt-c Dx)

In the factored form it is easy to see our solution is the sum of two parts. In one x+ct is held constant and in the other c-ct is constant.

f(x+ct)+g(x-ct)

Then apply the Cauchy boundary condition and preform some elementary algebra to express the solution in terms of the Cauchy data.

Register to reply