Thrust and weight verse g force upon object

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a solid fuel and liquid fueled rocket engine, with a focus on thrust and mass versus g-force on the rocket. The speaker is seeking help with calculating the speed and distance the rocket will obtain, taking into consideration the weight of the rocket and its various components. They also mention using equations involving instantaneous mass, velocity, net force, specific impulse, and mass of propellant.
simplesimon11
Thrust and Mass verses g force upon object

Have designed a solid fuel and liqiud fueled rocket engine.
Not great in mathmatics!
Have total weight of fuel engine and power supply at 2.3 pounds

Have an engine that burns for 3.3 seconds and produces 47 pounds thrust for 2.1 seconds.

If I built a stable rocket design I need to know speed rocket will obtain and would like to know total distance such will obtain.

Asking as the way I understand things I will be placing G forces unto the whole rocket which means it will become heavier with each G! I plan on a rocket body of total weight of 5 pounds!
I have built another engine based upon this engine design that will produce same thrust for 22 seconds and its total weight is 6 .8 pounds. Decided to use smaller engine in trials.

So can anyone help me with this simple problem most of you good folks do as play time calculations?
Not sure how to make sub and super script on this forum. So please excuse my abilites.

Have been using this as base to figure everything out but I am lost. Thanks guys

What I have used:
M= instantaneous mas of rocket
u= velocity of rocket
t = time
F = net force = thrust = m Veg
Veg = equivalent engine exhaust velocity=Isp Go
mf=full mass
me = empty mass
mp=mass of propellant
Isp=specific impluse

Mass of engine unfueld is 1 pound
What I came up with is this equation but unable to calculate the answers with my varibles!

Δ u = Veg In(mf/me)= Veg In MR=ISP go IN MR

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
where MR = mf/me So, to calculate the g-force on the rocket, you would use the following equation:g-force = (thrust/mass)*timeFor the first engine (2.3 pounds total mass):g-force = (47lbs/2.3lbs)*3.3sec = 10.43 g'sFor the second engine (6.8 pounds total mass):g-force = (47lbs/6.8lbs)*22sec = 4.73 g's

1. What is the difference between thrust and weight?

Thrust is the force that propels an object forward, while weight is the force of gravity acting on an object. In order for an object to achieve flight, the force of thrust must be greater than the force of weight.

2. How does thrust affect g-force on an object?

Thrust is directly related to the acceleration of an object. The greater the thrust, the greater the acceleration and thus the greater the g-force experienced by the object.

3. Can an object experience negative g-force?

Yes, an object can experience negative g-force, also known as deceleration or negative acceleration. This occurs when the thrust is less than the force of weight, causing the object to slow down and experience a force in the opposite direction of its motion.

4. How does the weight of an object affect its ability to withstand g-forces?

The weight of an object plays a significant role in its ability to withstand g-forces. Objects with greater weight will experience a greater force from the acceleration and may struggle to withstand high g-forces, while lighter objects may have an easier time withstanding g-forces.

5. What is the relationship between thrust, weight, and g-force in rocket launches?

In rocket launches, the thrust of the rocket engines must be greater than the weight of the rocket in order to overcome the force of gravity and achieve flight. As the rocket gains speed and altitude, the g-forces experienced by the rocket decrease due to the decrease in weight caused by burning fuel.