I don't understand what causes redox reactions to occur.

by emr564
Tags: occur, reactions, redox
emr564
Oct21-11, 09:35 PM
P: 6
For example, on this website http://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/...binations.html in the second diagram from the top, it shows that *if a high resistance voltmeter is placed between two pieces of metal, zinc and copper, the zinc metal will accumulate a build up of electrons.* Then when the resistance is relieved, the electrons will necessarily flow to the copper metal, which I understand.

What I'm confused about is: why do electrons build up on the zinc metal in the first place, and where do the electrons come from?

Thank ya.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
First view of nature-inspired catalyst after ripping hydrogen apart provides insights for better, cheaper fuel cells
Following a protein's travel inside cells is key to improving patient monitoring, drug development
Team helps cancer treatment drugs get past their sticking point
Borek
Oct22-11, 03:12 AM
Admin
P: 22,710
Quote Quote by emr564 View Post
why do electrons build up on the zinc metal
This is exactly the same question you can ask for every chemical reaction - why does it go the way it does. Short answer is - because it is thermodynamically favorable. In most cases that means that products have lower energy than reactants (although this is oversimplification).

where do the electrons come from?
From the half reaction - Zn "prefers" to be in the ionic form, and some of the atoms "jump" into solution leaving their electrons in the bulk of the metal.

Register to reply