Are men with cats odd?

by FlexGunship
Tags: cats
Share this thread:
zoobyshoe
Nov3-11, 12:26 PM
P: 5,625
Quote Quote by FlexGunship View Post
The local SPCA place has a 12 year old female cat that they list as "good with kids, cats, dogs, and strangers." I can't help but think that at that age, maybe she deserves a nice quiet home. I'll share my tuna with her and she can help me with my world domination plans.
That's your cat! Adopt her!
FlexGunship
Nov3-11, 12:55 PM
PF Gold
P: 739
Quote Quote by zoobyshoe View Post
That's your cat! Adopt her!
My girlfriend suggested that the cat might be too old and that I would be sad when she died. It's probably true. Maybe a little younger is a better idea. I dunno...

EDIT: How long do cats live?
KrisOhn
Nov3-11, 01:13 PM
P: 269
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat#Health

It says 12-14 years for male indoor cats. I had an indoor neutered cat that grew to be 16.
rhody
Nov3-11, 01:15 PM
PF Gold
P: 765
My girlfriend suggested that the cat might be too old and that I would be sad when she died. It's probably true. Maybe a little younger is a better idea. I dunno...

Our friend's just lost their female, Sparkles, 16 I believe. I have heard of others as old as 18 but that is pushing it. Oldest cat These have to be some kind of genetic freaks combined with an ideal environment, just a guess on my part however...
Oldest cat
The oldest living cat is Creme Puff of Austin Texas. Born on August 3rd 1967, Creme Puff celebrated her 38th birthday in August 2005.

Also deserving a mention are Puss, who was born in 1903. Puss was owned by Mrs T. Holway of Devon. Puss passed away on 29th November, 1939, one day after his 36th birthday.

The second is Granpa who lived to the ripe old age of 34. Granpa Rexs Allen (Granpa for short) was a Sphyx adopted from the Humane Society in Texas .
Rhody...
FlexGunship
Nov3-11, 01:32 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by KrisOhn View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat#Health

It says 12-14 years for male indoor cats. I had an indoor neutered cat that grew to be 16.
Quote Quote by rhody View Post
Our friend's just lost their female, Sparkles, 16 I believe. I have heard of others as old as 18 but that is pushing it. Oldest cat These have to be some kind of genetic freaks combined with an ideal environment, just a guess on my part however...
Not sure I want to welcome such an elderly cat, only to have it pass away. I just don't want hyper-kitty destroying my speakers.
zoobyshoe
Nov3-11, 01:45 PM

My friend, Kim, has a cat that's 20. Of course, she feeds it a piece of real meat each day, either beef or chicken, no canned cat food.

That 12 year old deserves a good few more years with someone who'll take care of her. In the end, all cats die. On the upside, there's an endless supply of them.
rhody
Nov3-11, 01:48 PM
PF Gold
P: 765
Not sure I want to welcome such an elderly cat, only to have it pass away. I just don't want hyper-kitty destroying my speakers.
That is an easy fix: electric fence. I don't have one, and at times from boredom my cat will go cat crazy. Run around like a nut, knead with claws rugs, etc... but only when we are around. She doesn't destroy furniture. If we catch her we clap our hands, or stomp our feet, puts an end to it quick.

Rhody...
FlexGunship
Nov3-11, 01:50 PM
PF Gold
My friend, Kim, has a cat that's 20. Of course, she feeds it a piece of real meat each day, either beef or chicken, no canned cat food.

That 12 year old deserves a good few more years with someone who'll take care of her. In the end, all cats die. On the upside, there's an endless supply of them.
So, an alternative, is to get the 12yo cat, and a really young cat. But now I feel like I'm a crazy cat lady... especially bad given that I AM, in fact, a man.
daveb
Nov3-11, 02:20 PM
P: 926
So, an alternative, is to get the 12yo cat, and a really young cat. But now I feel like I'm a crazy act lady... especially bad given that I AM, in fact, a man.
Yet you don't deny that you're crazy? Interesting......
Jimmy Snyder
Nov3-11, 02:20 PM
P: 2,179
To be clear, I have no shortage of women. Or rather, woman. Thank you, per-degrade-us.
Better to have loved and lost a short one than never to have loved a tall.
zoobyshoe
Nov3-11, 02:45 PM
So, an alternative, is to get the 12yo cat, and a really young cat. But now I feel like I'm a crazy act lady... especially bad given that I AM, in fact, a man.
Just get the 12 year old. Young cats are more likely to die due to inexperience than older cats. The twelve year old has made all her mistakes and now knows not to do anything stupid.
FlexGunship
Nov3-11, 02:52 PM
PF Gold
Just get the 12 year old. Young cats are more likely to die due to inexperience than older cats. The twelve year old has made all her mistakes and now knows not to do anything stupid.
Hmm, thank you for coming up with rationalization-ammo for me. I'm going to bring my girlfriend and have her pretend that it'll be her cat. There's no way I can go in there alone.

Plus, I'll be able to say: "Pfft, women and their cats," do a few push-ups, open a jar of pickles, and build a table out of scrap lumber... no one will question my manliness...
Quote Quote by daveb View Post
Yet you don't deny that you're crazy? Interesting......
...or my craziness.
Dembadon
Nov3-11, 02:58 PM
PF Gold
P: 641
... and build a table out of scrap lumber...
Only if you drive the nails into the wood with the palm of your hand. Otherwise you're just some wimp who can't even build a table without using a hammer.
FlexGunship
Nov3-11, 03:03 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Dembadon View Post
Only if you drive the nails into the wood with the palm of your hand. Otherwise you're just some wimp who can't even build a table without using a hammer.

Touche.
zoobyshoe
Nov3-11, 03:11 PM
Hmm, thank you for coming up with rationalization-ammo for me. I'm going to bring my girlfriend and have her pretend that it'll be her cat. There's no way I can go in there alone.

Plus, I'll be able to say: "Pfft, women and their cats," do a few push-ups, open a jar of pickles, and build a table out of scrap lumber... no one will question my manliness...
Here's some more rationalization/ammo: Cats are invariably symbols of the feminine. They're picky, fickle, high maintainence, vain: always grooming themselves. If a guy likes cats it constitutes absolute proof he likes women and is not gay. Guy's who like dogs over cats are extremely questionable. Women view a guy who has a good relationship with a cat as extremely desirable boyfriend/husband material.
dacruick
Nov3-11, 03:13 PM
P: 1,084
Here's some more rationalization/ammo: Cats are invariably symbols of the feminine. They're picky, fickle, high maintainence, vain: always grooming themselves. If a guy likes cats it constitutes absolute proof he likes women and is not gay. Guy's who like dogs over cats are extremely questionable. Women view a guy who has a good relationship with a cat as extremely desirable boyfriend/husband material.
There is so much wrong with this post lol.

EDIT: oooh i didn't see that it was rationalization ammo. Okay, there is less wrong with it. But still. If you want a cat you should probably just get a cat.
FlexGunship
Nov3-11, 03:14 PM
PF Gold
here's some more rationalization/ammo: Cats are invariably symbols of the feminine. They're picky, fickle, high maintainence, vain: Always grooming themselves. If a guy likes cats it constitutes absolute proof he likes women and is not gay. Guy's who like dogs over cats are extremely questionable. Women view a guy who has a good relationship with a cat as extremely desirable boyfriend/husband material.
Awesome!

Quote Quote by dacruick View Post
there is so much wrong with this post lol
Aww ****!
dacruick
Nov3-11, 03:21 PM
P: 1,084
Women view a guy who has a good relationship with a cat as extremely desirable boyfriend/husband material.
Elaine might disagree with you there.

Register to reply