Are men with cats odd?

by FlexGunship
Tags: cats
Share this thread:
turbo
Nov3-11, 03:23 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Flex, shelter animals need some attention and care. They also deserve a chance with a loving human, so go for it.

Cats need far less attention than dogs,but they WILL tell you when they want it. Dogs will beg for attention, and cats will demand it. I prefer dogs to cats, even though dogs really need personal interaction, walks, exercise, chances to run freely, etc. When Duke wants my attention, he'll lay on my feet, roll up onto my ankles/legs and look up at me upside-down with a grin on his face. At ~55#, I am really glad that he doesn't jump on me like a needy cat.
zoobyshoe
Nov3-11, 03:24 PM
P: 5,641
Quote Quote by dacruick View Post
There is so much wrong with this post lol.
What are you talking about? My rationalization is impeccable!
zoobyshoe
Nov3-11, 03:25 PM
P: 5,641
Quote Quote by dacruick View Post
Elaine might disagree with you there.
All I hear you saying is that you're a guy and you have a dog.
lisab
Nov3-11, 03:37 PM
Mentor
P: 3,008
You're going to be a great cat-dad, flex! Get that sweet old kitty out of the shelter, bring her home!
rhody
Nov3-11, 05:03 PM
PF Gold
P: 765
Here is my cat picture as promised, siamese female 3 years old, Luna;

Rhody...
Jimmy Snyder
Nov3-11, 05:05 PM
P: 2,179
Quote Quote by rhody View Post
Is that you we see in her eyes?
Edit: I did that 3-d trick by crossing my eyes and seem to see someone holding out a camera.
lisab
Nov3-11, 05:07 PM
Mentor
P: 3,008
Quote Quote by rhody View Post

Rhody...
She's beautiful
TylerH
Nov3-11, 05:21 PM
P: 737
Dude, a lot of chicks like cats... so, for every one that will think you're weird, there will be one or more that will like the fact that you like cats.
drizzle
Nov3-11, 05:29 PM
PF Gold
P: 526
Is this the type of cats you're looking for?

Though, it's obvious from your first post that you are not going to get one.

P.S. How's my fiancee, Andre? No pics? I miss him
rhody
Nov3-11, 05:55 PM
PF Gold
P: 765
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
She's beautiful
Lisa,

I posted her awhile ago in another thread for another reason, and you commented then too.

Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
Is that you we see in her eyes?
Edit: I did that 3-d trick by crossing my eyes and seem to see someone holding out a camera.
Jimmy,

You are one clever devil, are you sure you didn't used to work for the intel/spook world ? You had a 50/50 chance anyway. It was either me, or a human looking tripod. I prefer the tripod myself.

Rhody...
Evo
Nov3-11, 07:59 PM
Mentor
P: 26,659
Quote Quote by zoobyshoe View Post
Guy's who like dogs over cats are extremely questionable. Women view a guy who has a good relationship with a cat as extremely desirable boyfriend/husband material.
Yep. +1
rootX
Nov3-11, 08:12 PM
P: 1,294
Here's some more rationalization/ammo: Cats are invariably symbols of the feminine. They're picky, fickle, high maintainence, vain: always grooming themselves. If a guy likes cats it constitutes absolute proof he likes women and is not gay. Guy's who like dogs over cats are extremely questionable. Women view a guy who has a good relationship with a cat as extremely desirable boyfriend/husband material.
who are women you talk of

Quote Quote by FlexGunship View Post
  1. I have nice things and I don't really want to have them broken or clawed at by a cat, and
  2. Do men who live alone with a cat look as ridiculous as I suspect?
As of a personal opinion, I see guys who have cats or love cats more classier than those who have dogs. Kind of stuff feminine or classier women love.
Evo
Nov3-11, 08:29 PM
Mentor
P: 26,659
Get the older cat. No one wants them, how someone can dump an older cat or dog is beyond me. Give the older cat a loving home, they'll be less likely to cause damage.
mege
Nov3-11, 08:46 PM
P: 193
I highly suggest getting a pair of kittiens, siblings if possible. If you're going to be gone for a few days at a time every month - that's a lot of abandonment for a cat if they're overly needy. The time away is also time that your cat is left to their own devices, alone. A parter cat helps them keep busy - both from a mental/social aspect and a physical aspect. However, I would plan to be able to spend some continuous time with them to start and see how they interact in your home - but having a pair mitigates the possibility for kittien-disasters (because they get curious-destructive when bored). The only thing my pair did from a young age was tear at toilet paper and plastic grocery bags (they still go after the grocery bags if left out...). I attribute this rather easy house-weaning to there being 2 of them, I didn't have to redirect much at all.

Also, getting an older cat - you're going to be left up to their idiosyncrasies. If you and the cat are out of sync - it could be a rough few years. If you raise kittiens from a young age - they'll adapt to you and everyone will be happier. My pair of almost 3 y.o. cats have been with me since they were 10 weeks old - they're some of the most social, friendly, happy cats I've ever seen. They know my routine and abide by it for the most part. They even adapted very well to moving in with my (now) wife. They took to her without question.
Loren Booda
Nov3-11, 08:47 PM
P: 3,408
I now have two teenage cats (less than one year old) -- that makes me the odd mammal out. They've ripped up the house from stem to stern. Anything not bolted down is fair play. Tonight I can't find my glasses.

My last cat, Kitty, was a longhair sweetheart (part Maine Coon?), adopted at about 10 human years.
Astronuc
Nov4-11, 12:26 AM
Admin
P: 21,911
Here's some more rationalization/ammo: Cats are invariably symbols of the feminine. They're picky, fickle, high maintainence, vain: always grooming themselves. If a guy likes cats it constitutes absolute proof he likes women and is not gay. Guy's who like dogs over cats are extremely questionable. Women view a guy who has a good relationship with a cat as extremely desirable boyfriend/husband material.
I've had cats and dogs. We usually have two or three cats to one dog. Except for our current dog, all our cats and dogs have been strays, although one was adopted from a shelter. Our current dog was a pet for my mother-in-law until she couldn't handle it, so she came to live with us.

I've thought about adopting a greyhound or two, because I like greyhounds, and it would be nice to go running with them. However, we'd need to move to a larger place.
QuarkCharmer
Nov4-11, 12:45 AM
P: 1,035
Silly talk.

Everyone has cat's and/or dogs and nobody thinks anything of it because it's so common. Just don't start collecting them. The more important question you should be asking yourself is "am I ready to commit 12+ years of my life to caring for this animal".
DoggerDan
Nov4-11, 01:02 AM
P: 77
Quote Quote by FlexGunship View Post
So... here's the deal.
That you're posting this and that I have an opinion on this is scary.

I live alone and I'd love to have some company. Girls make the best pets (oh, god, don't flame me... just let me have my joke), but I'm looking for something less likely to judge me for where I leave my dirty socks.
Well, cats don't like dirty socks, but they do identify their food-providing owners with whatever odors their owners supply, so they're probably comforted by your socks.

I live in a small condo and I often travel for a few days at a time for work.

I kind of think a dog is out even though I love dogs. There are lots of people that have dogs in my condo community, but the place is small, and I don't have much of a yard. Not to mention it would be hard to board him/her every time I travel for a couple of days.

So... I was thinking of getting a cat.

I like cats... a lot actually. They're pretty neat and clean. They don't need to go outside constantly, and can survive for a day or two without you
I'm allergic, but that didn't stop girlfriends or a wife from taking up the nasty habit. Actually, I like the little critters. All have learned a prolonged scratch on the head is NOT a prelude to lap time. I love 'em, but at a distance. So long as I reminded them I love 'em daily, they're fed and their litter box is changed on a regular basis, they've left me more or less alone. Long stares of mutual appreciation across the living room and all that. They like my company, and know I like theirs, within reason.

The cool thing about cats is that once litterbox trained, they fend for themselves quite well. Even if they tend to overeat, it's difficult for them to do so in a week, and a couple of days of water/food malfunction won't hurt them, particularly when you have two long-term food/water stations instead of just one.

Anyway, I have two principle concerns:
Can't answer the first one.

Do men who live alone with a cat look as ridiculous as I suspect?
Depends on how they interact with their cat. I've never had a cat as a single adult male. I inherited them with the fairer of our own species. Loved them right along with their owners.

EDIT: I would probably adopt a slightly older cat from a shelter or from someone on Craigslist. Probably wouldn't get a kitten.
Why not? The best cats I ever had I raised from eye-opening or earlier.

Register to reply