Register to reply

The mean of a sum of variables.

by Mppl
Tags: variables
Share this thread:
Mppl
Nov4-11, 03:38 PM
P: 13
How do I prove that the mean of a random variable Z which is the sum of to other random variables X and Y is the sum of the mean of X with the mean of Y?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
mathman
Nov4-11, 03:48 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 6,070
Essentially the theorem is equivalent to the theorem that the integral of a sum is the sum of the integrals.
Mppl
Nov4-11, 03:54 PM
well I obviously know that the integral of the sum is the sum of the integral but I don't know how I can relate that to the situation a mentioned, can you please be more specific?
I'm trying to prove it and I'm getting a convultion integral so far...
thank you.

bpet
Nov4-11, 09:58 PM
P: 523
The mean of a sum of variables.

Quote Quote by Mppl View Post
well I obviously know that the integral of the sum is the sum of the integral but I don't know how I can relate that to the situation a mentioned, can you please be more specific?
I'm trying to prove it and I'm getting a convultion integral so far...
thank you.
Yes that'll eventually give you a proof for the special case where the rv's are independent and have densities (involves reversing the order of integration and a change of variables).

Another approach that would work for the non-independent case is to consider separately the joint distribution and marginal distributions of X and Y.
Mppl
Nov5-11, 04:06 AM
well but I'm not being able to prove it either for dependent or independent variables, can you please show me the proof or tell me where I can find it? thank you
mathman
Nov5-11, 04:03 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 6,070
Two random variables.
E(X+Y)=∫∫(x+y)dF(x,y)=∫∫xdF(x,y) + ∫∫ydF(x,y).
Integrate with respect to y in the first integral and integrate with respect to x in the second integral. You will be left with E(X) + E(Y).

In the above F(x,y) is the joint distribution function.

Register to reply