by MissSilvy
Tags: girls, guys, nerdy
Share this thread:
pergradus
Oct17-11, 04:20 PM
P: 156
Quote Quote by moon42 View Post
I myself wish for the following:

- Inquiring mind; pursuing a strong research degree in sciences.
- Great academic background.
- The willingness to cleanse her mind of negative thoughts, such as anger and envy.
- Cynicistic, willing to make a sacrifice to help others ( strangers ) in need. Politeness at all costs !
- Great sense of humor, and good personality .
- A sex drive as low as possible, somewhere along the lines of Pon Farr. Complete lack of it would be great though.

Note that I used the verb "wish" and not "want". Finding such a mate will prove to be a daunting task.

In the end, it all comes down to 'chemistry' , referring to the intertwinement of our other good/bad attributes which define us for who we are.
It would also be wise for her to be about the same age as me ( 20 ) .

But ... I'm not a representation of the majority suffice it to say, so I don't think I've been quite helpful .

SOunds like you're just inexperienced and frightened by sex and sexual activities.
Char. Limit
Oct17-11, 05:02 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,951
Quote Quote by pergradus View Post
SOunds like you're just inexperienced and frightened by sex and sexual activities.
Sounds like you're acting like an amateur psych.
DaveC426913
Oct17-11, 09:09 PM
P: 15,319
Quote Quote by Char. Limit View Post
Sounds like you're acting like an amateur psych.
Is there anyone in this thread that isn't?
Char. Limit
Oct17-11, 09:15 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,951
Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post
Is there anyone in this thread that isn't?
ME! I'm a professional psych. Trust me on this, I got the degree locked away where pictures can't be taken of it.
rootX
Oct17-11, 10:39 PM
P: 1,294
Quote Quote by moon42 View Post
- A sex drive as low as possible, somewhere along the lines of Pon Farr. Complete lack of it would be great though.

Quote Quote by TheStatutoryApe View Post
Are you ok? Maybe you should sit down. A glass of water? Snifter of brandy?
ndabunka
Nov17-11, 01:38 AM
P: n/a
I am also older but I found this discussion while researching a general physics issue.

I find it humorous that a number of guys have posted ABSOLUTES in this thread. The girl MUST XYZ...and I think that most educated guys would agree with me.... Really? I don't think so. While it is true that intelligent people can gravitate to absolutes, a TRUE scientist is open to EVERYTHING and will take all aspects into consideration rather than being so close-minded.

No sex, Really? C'Mon, sex is part of the relationship. If you don't want ANY sexual connection what is the point in finding a GIRL? I mean, you can obviously meet that requirement with a same-sex nerd, right? Sex is not the objective but rather is a consequence of the relationship. You can be mentally stimulated but if you don't sync in the bed, you might as well write off the relationship. As human's we need affection as well as mental stimulation. There are all kinds of studies that show the physical connection is important in ALL biological entities.

I've been married for nearly twenty years now. I did not get married until I was 30 and that was part of my plan/process that worked out well. I was a nerd but I was also an athlete so I'm a bit of an enigma but it's not really that weird. The PRIMARY requirement for me was a girl who could understand my mind. My wife nearly immediately understood my double entendre's, my odd off-hand remarks quoting classical literature, etc. Most of the cheerleader-types I had dated...didn't have a clue.

Looks ARE important but they only go so far. However, a smart girl will also realize that being physically fit is important to their health and adds to their attraction. I personally do not like the "twiggy" model look so the girl needed to have some curves. 150lbs was a maximum as I weighed 165 @ age 30. I also dated one or two intelligent ladies who had "put on weight" in their late 20's (Homecoming Queen who was about 145lbs & 5'4") but I quickly lost interest in them even if their had their PH D.

Career-oriented personality was a REQUIREMENT. I did not want a girl who was looking to marry the next Einstein and "pop out" babies while holding down a home. Full disclosure: My wife worked for this area's largest medical hospital for the first ten years of our marriage while raising our first boy. When my income first exceeded $150K/year, we decided that we wanted another child and she took off work for 7 years raising our second child and went back to work (at that same hospital) 4 or 5 years ago & now works part time.

Travel is important to relationships because when you visit new places TOGETHER, you get to grow your physical and mentalities together.

Religion - I find it humorous that a number of posters seem to believe that being an atheist is synonymous with science when in fact, they are associated aspects. Having the ability to ONLY be a scientist restricts your abilities IMHO. Part of being inquisitive is to research religion... Not just ONE religion, but the theories at the core of these religions and why they exist. At one point in my life I was a youth leader and I do believe that religious beliefs are beneficial for a specific sub-set of the human population and in fact, may be a necessity for our social-economic systems. However, these days many would consider me a being non-religious because I offer credence to most all religions as well as things like ancient alien theorist. Someone had to of created the aliens, right? LOL

OK, I've rattled on long enough and this detour has been entertaining but I need to get back to my hobby research on non-linear fractal resonance models... Until later!
silence_kit
Nov17-11, 11:13 PM
P: n/a
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtTNkL3q12Q

I'd like to meet girls of that caliber
Lancelot59
Nov18-11, 10:06 AM
P: 675
Quote Quote by silence_kit View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtTNkL3q12Q

I'd like to meet girls of that caliber
So many inappropriate jokes...

How about a nice cylon lady?
cbetanco
Nov20-11, 04:08 PM
P: 135
I don't consider myself a nerd, but others have not said the same (usually from the fact that I study physics automatically makes me a nerd).

I will be perfectly frank.

What I first look for in a girl is looks. It mind sound shallow, but I cannot spend my time having a physical relationship with someone if they are not attractive (of course, alcohol has helped me lower what I think a good looking girl is before). Usually how pretty her face determines if its a make it or break it deal for me. I can spend a night with ANY girl if they are attractive.

Now, if I want a real relationship, then I have have to up my standards. She has to be attractive AND smart. She could be slightly religious, as long as she is fun and not a complete moron.

But, if I am going to marry the girl, or at least be in a long term relationship, then she has to be attractive (very attractive), she has to be really really smart, has to be a lot of fun to be around, and definitely no real religious affiliation (would not marry a christian, jew, or muslim, but a buddhist I can forgive).

I think Seinfeld said it best when he said that women care a lot more what a guy does with his life than the other way around. If a girl doesn't really like the guy's job, then they probably don't like the guy. Guys are less picky. If she is good looking, she could be a garbage collector for all I care (NOT the girl I am going to marry though!)
Lavabug
Nov20-11, 05:16 PM
P: 899
Speaking for myself, at least some sort of general idea about science is a plus but it doesn't have to be someone with a phd in it. I would like it if they don't make a big deal out of nerdy interests/hobbies and accepts them much in the same way they would see a non-nerd's interests.

I have felt attraction towards women of all different builds, features, ethnicities, etc. so looks hold a small but nonzero level of importance. No girl looks prettier than the one I have an emotional attachment to, however. Crushes on pretty girls come and go, but a girl I grow to like all around is something I remember (and suffer!) for a lot longer.
WannabeNewton
Nov20-11, 05:19 PM
C. Spirit
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 5,638
Quote Quote by cbetanco View Post
But, if I am going to marry the girl, or at least be in a long term relationship, then she has to be attractive (very attractive), she has to be really really smart, has to be a lot of fun to be around, and definitely no real religious affiliation (would not marry a christian, jew, or muslim, but a buddhist I can forgive).
Hows that going so far?
cbetanco
Nov20-11, 05:28 PM
P: 135
Quote Quote by WannabeNewton View Post
Hows that going so far?
Well, I am not married yet.... But I have to set high standards for the girls of my dreams!
I like Serena
Nov20-11, 05:32 PM
HW Helper
P: 6,188
Quote Quote by cbetanco View Post
Well, I am not married yet.... But I have to set high standards for the girls of my dreams!
Yes, so did I... and I found her!!!
Then it turned out that she was not interested in me.
Lavabug
Nov20-11, 05:33 PM
Well at least you've got spirit!
wukunlin
Nov20-11, 06:20 PM
PF Gold
P: 346
some of the descriptions in this thread sounds like a shopping list lol...

personally I just want someone I can be comfortable living with day to day in the long term
Lavabug
Nov20-11, 06:24 PM
Quote Quote by wukunlin View Post
some of the descriptions in this thread sounds like a shopping list lol...
People just want their rough draft of their Santa's list proofread.
HeLiXe
Nov21-11, 03:15 PM
P: 412
Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post
The word 'girl' on a physics forum is surely a lighthouse beacon to dating site ad placers.
Lancelot59
Nov22-11, 03:36 PM
P: 675
I agree.

Register to reply