Design a $40 Egg-Protecting Device for the Egg Drop Challenge

In summary: I then glued the box to the top of a water bottle.I have not tried this, but I think it would be better if the egg was suspended in an airtight container.
Doominater84

Homework Statement

The egg protecting device cannot slow down the natural descent of the egg in any
form: The mechanism used to protect the egg cannot rely on buoyancy (i.e. no
inflated balloon-based solutions) or air resistance (i.e. no parachutes or solutions
designed to increase the air resistance of the container)
2. Cost of all of the materials used must be provided (see rubric on pg. 5 and sample
materials data sheet on pg. 4) and the total price of the materials used in the eggprotecting device cannot exceed $40
3. The device must be ready by or before the assigned egg-drop date. NO late
submissions will be accepted

Any foams, or anything like that is ok as long as they are not used for air resistence.

This is How grade Will be Calculated:
Calculating a scaled egg drop score: Once all of the projects are turned in
the “mass * volume of the device” (mV) product for all of the devices
submitted will be calculated. These mV products will be ranked and a rating
scale will be created (smaller values of mV are preferable to large values).
The final “egg drop” score will be calculated by multiplying the raw score by
the mV scale:
egg drop score = raw score (how broken) x scaled mV product.

Homework Equations

egg drop score = raw score (how broken) x scaled mV product.
J=F*t

The Attempt at a Solution

My idea is to fill a small container with some homemade gel, fit the egg inside of it and drop it :) This is how i will make the gel: http://www.myscienceproject.org/gelatin.html

I am however open to other ideas as long as they are as lightweight and compact as possible. (Such as foam, popcorn whatever...)

**I have decided that instead of homeade ballistics gel i would use oobleck.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Go ahead and do it! I'm sure you will find refinements and compromises as you build. It would be really boring if everyone looked up and copied the best ideas on the web.

The gel is a good idea, the first thing that came to my mind was a square, metal roll-cage. you could put rubber bands all around the egg and attach them to the sides, so the egg would be held in the exact center of the cage by the elastic bands. that way, when the egg drops, it won't contact the ground. your idea could potentially have a smaller volume, though.

I was thinking the gel would be to heavy though because it has to be as small and light as possible.

I did an egg drop project from 40 feet last year, but I had a $0 budget. What I did was I took a small, rectangular cardboard box and cut one hole on each side (the small sides). then I took 2 water bottles and cut them in half. I took the top half of each, filled it with pillow stuffing, and then placed the egg inside. I then rubber-banded the two together and put the caps of the bottles in each hole, suspending the egg in the middle of the box. Then I filled the box with more stuffing and closed it. Then I wrapped the entire thing in bubble wrap. It worked, the egg did not break.

I did this project as well and put the egg inside a box filled with sponge. On the outside of the box I cut out pieces of an egg carton and put one on each side (the dome shape is the strongest)

1. How can I make sure my egg-protecting device stays within the $40 budget?

To stay within the $40 budget, it is important to plan out the materials and costs beforehand. Consider using inexpensive materials such as paper, straws, and tape. You can also repurpose household items to save money. Be creative and resourceful!

2. What materials should I use for my egg-protecting device?

The best materials to use for an egg-protecting device are lightweight and shock-absorbing. Some examples include bubble wrap, foam, cotton balls, and balloons. You can also use sturdy materials like cardboard or plastic to create a structure to hold the egg in place.

3. How can I ensure my egg-protecting device will protect the egg from a high fall?

The key to protecting the egg is to create a cushioning effect. This can be achieved by using multiple layers of shock-absorbing materials or creating a strong outer shell to absorb the impact. It is also important to secure the egg firmly in place to prevent it from moving around during the fall.

4. Can I use any design for my egg-protecting device or are there specific rules to follow?

There are usually specific rules for the egg drop challenge, so it is important to read and understand them beforehand. Some common rules include a maximum size and weight limit for the device, as well as height restrictions for the drop. Make sure to follow the rules to avoid disqualification.

5. How can I make my egg-protecting device stand out and impress the judges?

Aside from making sure your device effectively protects the egg, you can also add creativity and innovation to your design. Think outside the box and try to come up with unique ideas that will make your device stand out. You can also incorporate a theme or add decorative elements to make it visually appealing.