Force required to break the H-O bond

by h1a8
Tags: bond, force, required
Share this thread:
h1a8
Dec30-11, 03:04 PM
P: 37
I have a two questions.

1. What is the force (not energy) required to break the H-O atomic bond?
2. What is the minimum additional distance required to separate the H from the O to consider the bond broken?

From this table I see that the energy of the bond is 459000J/mol and the radius of the bond is 9.6 x 10-11 m.
What I first tried (I know it is mostly likely wrong though) was take the energy per mole number and divide it by the radius to get the force per mole. Then I divided that by Avogadro's number to get the force per bond.

Thinking that was incorrect I decided to try the concept of
Force to break = tensile strength x cross sectional area.

That is to say, I compared it to breaking by pulling apart a thin iron bar. I know Young's modulus comes into play here so that's why I guessed I need to know how much further I must separate the H atom from the O atom to consider the bond being broken.

I know this calculation may not be possible or practical but all I need is a lower limit (estimate). Meaning, I want to know X in the inequality Force required is > or = X. To be honest, my main purpose for this is to determine how strong the comic character Silver Surfer was when he claimed to amp his strength to atomic strength. He is 225lb at a height of 6' 4" so I figured he has approximate density of water, which is why I chose the H-O bond instead.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Ice cream goes Southern, okra extracts may increase shelf-life
The fluorescent fingerprint of plastics
Researchers develop models to study polyelectrolytes, including DNA and RNA

Register to reply