View Poll Results: Favorite philosopher?
socrates 5 5.56%
plato 7 7.78%
aristotle 5 5.56%
nietzsche 10 11.11%
kierkegaard 5 5.56%
kant 4 4.44%
hume 5 5.56%
aquinas 1 1.11%
mill 1 1.11%
smith 1 1.11%
locke 0 0%
berkeley 0 0%
liebniz 6 6.67%
spinoza 5 5.56%
russel 6 6.67%
wittingstein 9 10.00%
other 20 22.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Who is your favorite philosopher?

by jduster
Tags: favorite, philosopher
Ivan Seeking
Aug22-11, 10:06 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,492
Quote Quote by FlexGunship View Post
Lindsay Lohan

People go to college to find who they are as a person and find what they want to do in life, and I kind of already know that so it would be like I`d be taking a step back or something.
That requires translation from the ancient Hollyberic to modern. According to the Google translator, we get ~ "I have $100 million in the bank".
wuliheron
Aug23-11, 01:53 AM
P: 1,967
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
That requires translation from the ancient Hollyberic to modern. According to the Google translator, we get ~ "I have $100 million in the bank".
The more accurate translation, "I can be rich, famous, and party all the time without going to school."
turbo
Aug23-11, 10:04 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
None of my top three were in there, even though they are all dead and all widely quoted:

Samuel Clemens
Ambrose Bierce
George Carlin
(not necessarily in that order)
disregardthat
Aug23-11, 10:23 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,679
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
None of my top three were in there, even though they are all dead and all widely quoted:

Samuel Clemens
Ambrose Bierce
George Carlin
(not necessarily in that order)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...A%E2%80%93C)#A
MarcoD
Aug29-11, 12:13 PM
P: 98
Hmm... Wittingstein is that dude who wrote so incomprehensible that we now enjoy spelling his name incorrectly? I totally agree!
RodA
Dec15-11, 05:00 PM
P: 3
Quote Quote by wuliheron View Post
The Tao Te Ching is among the top 3 all time best selling books in the world, but you left out Lao Tzu.
The Eastern Tradition & Philosophers are quite often, unfortunately, overlooked i think this would be one of those cases.

Jean Paul Sartre, his philosophy is simply beautiful
http://www.sonoma.edu/users/d/daniels/sartre%20sum.html
epenguin
Dec15-11, 06:25 PM
HW Helper
P: 1,931
other is my favourite, for his wider point of view.
Noko
Dec15-11, 07:49 PM
P: 1
Wittgenstein

After I understood him (or at least perceived to), everything else seemed like poetic garbage.
epenguin
Dec16-11, 04:23 AM
HW Helper
P: 1,931
Not Socrates. Reputedly he has more questions than answers.
Lacy33
Dec17-11, 09:10 AM
P: 335
Noam Chomsky
Jobrag
Dec17-11, 11:57 AM
P: 459
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_WRFJwGsbY
The best philosophers EVER!
fashizzle
Jan2-12, 09:53 AM
P: 9
my two favorites are

parmenides
zeno of elea

what do you guys think about these two?
Jimmy Snyder
Jan2-12, 03:01 PM
P: 2,163
Quote Quote by fashizzle View Post
my two favorites are

parmenides
zeno of elea

what do you guys think about these two?
Parmenides is OK, but that's just one man's opinion. Zeno is hard to approach.
Pythagorean
Jan2-12, 05:16 PM
PF Gold
P: 4,180
The Dude
DrClapeyron
Jan3-12, 07:43 PM
P: 128
My father's friend. Laid back, serious and very funny guy. He can make life outside of work seem like such a joke, and that I believe is the key to life. Don't take things that shouldn't be taken seriously in the first place, because if problems arise from them you are likely to burn bridges and do things that you would later regret in life.
Albuquerque
Jan4-12, 01:32 PM
P: n/a
Spinoza´s pantheistic account of God as synonym of Nature, the unmoved mover and the True substance, as his conception of Ethics as the human drive process for greater degrees of order in which the action of reason through work (organization) provides happiness and the progress of Civilization appeal to me as the most essential there is to know in western Philosophy...

...in my way of putting it and stretching it, it places moral as the individual instinct of Ethics, the intuition for the need of the Estate and the realization of Man through the mind in the production of Work/Order in the most energy efficient possible manner...the codes of ethics are then nothing but the codes for energy efficiency in society in the process of evolution and constant adaptation through the work of reason...the opposition to the 2 law of TD...hmmm, or is it rather a tango with it ?
MarcoD
Jan4-12, 08:30 PM
P: 98
Quote Quote by Albuquerque View Post
Spinoza´s pantheistic account of God as synonym of Nature, the unmoved mover and the True substance, as his conception of Ethics as the human drive process for greater degrees of order in which the action of reason through work (organization) provides happiness and the progress of Civilization appeal to me as the most essential there is to know in western Philosophy...

...in my way of putting it and stretching it, it places moral as the individual instinct of Ethics, the intuition for the need of the Estate and the realization of Man through the mind in the production of Work/Order in the most energy efficient possible manner...the codes of ethics are then nothing but the codes for energy efficiency in society in the process of evolution and constant adaptation through the work of reason...the opposition to the 2 law of TD...hmmm, or is it rather a tango with it ?
I don't have a favorite philosopher, I don't consider myself to be very good at it. But I read some Spinoza once in a close approximation of what he originally wrote.

What is nice is his attempt and trying to apply pure logic, or science, to derive ethics and a proof, or understanding, of God. Unfortunately, it's all very dated. If the Ethica would have been published now, he would end up in a home for the mentally ill.

(Probably, my favorite philosopher would be Nietzsche. Because he makes me laugh with his dark irony.)
Albuquerque
Jan5-12, 09:36 AM
P: n/a
My own odd interpretation of the use of Ethics and moral good is always related with the integration of progressive sets of systems and categories of interest and the amount of effort, energy efficiency, work, implied in the functional task process towards an end whatever that end might be as long as it is natural (genuine)...so I have a relative to scope approach interpretation of its use, regarding the depth of field concerning systemically either the species among other species, or the social group to which we want apply a moral judgement...and yet my view still tends like Spinoza´s towards a necessary and deterministic approach to the problem in terms of logical and rational justification...that is to say, that moral and ethics cannot be justified or circularly reasoned with more moral and ethics but they need something out of their own scope to ground themselves as an say, valid "operating system" regarding behaviour and conduct...my notion of "good" in here is thus further reducible to the notion of optimal input in terms of the energy efficiency or the amount of work one can spare to accomplish a task which is seen as necessary for the species or the said group at hand in its natural causal progression in the world...and that´s how I look at the problem shocking as it may seam...a sort of neo-Darwinistic stance concerning the need for cooperation among social species regarding the accomplishment of complex tasks that require increasing degrees of consensus in order to be carried about and in which trust is a central factor...

Register to reply