I want to sleep with my Professor

by EternityMech
Tags: professor, sleep
Share this thread:
zoobyshoe
Dec2-11, 10:32 PM
P: 5,625
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
Ah, you need a flair for the sardonic, too. Hope you didn't miss that.
I'll have a sardonic retort to that in a bit. My processor is still on step one: locating an old joke with a similar premise to plagiarize.
StevieTNZ
Dec2-11, 11:35 PM
PF Gold
P: 797
I wouldn't sleep with any Professor I've had. Yuck. Old men.
zoobyshoe
Dec3-11, 01:03 AM
Quote Quote by StevieTNZ View Post
I wouldn't sleep with any Professor I've had. Yuck. Old men.
I wish I could show you your future.
Office_Shredder
Dec3-11, 03:08 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,500
Quote Quote by Pengwuino View Post
I fail to understand why a University would take such a hardline against seeing students if they are no longer in your class. It would be like a corporation saying that employees cant sleep with former clients (which, according to my research watching The Office, is acceptable). And corporations are suppose to be more conservative entities!

This thread is disappoint.
There are a lot of universities that allow faculty-student relationships as long as they aren't in a position for a conflict of interest.

Also your analogy isn't very good, because the students still attend the school. It would be more like a corporation can't sleep with clients whose accounts are being handled by other employees
EternityMech
Dec3-11, 04:08 PM
P: 93
im in sweden, and i havent seen any rules on dating...i think its fair game.
zoobyshoe
Dec3-11, 06:00 PM
Quote Quote by Office_Shredder View Post
There are a lot of universities that allow faculty-student relationships as long as they aren't in a position for a conflict of interest.
When I was in college in the 1970's student-faculty relationships happened all the time. I don't recall ever hearing anyone complaining about it. It was neither prohibited nor frowned upon. It was understood that girls who could interest a professor went up in status among their peers, and professors who landed a pretty coed had their status raised among their peers. No different than the jock and cheerleader relationship.

Years later I heard colleges were starting to prohibit it, the reason being that it had been recast; no longe an exchange of status, but a kind of prostitution where girls were allegedly offering themselves to professors in exchange for top grades. I thought that was sad.
ArcanaNoir
Dec3-11, 06:29 PM
P: 753
I wish my professors were young enough to date! They're the only ones who think my enthusiasm for math is cool. I say wait until the grades are final, then go for it. Wouldn't want to find out she thinks you're whack when your grade was still in play. After that, I'd say it's safe to find out. If there's some policy against it, she should know about it and tell you if necessary.
widereader
Dec14-11, 11:49 PM
P: 0
High school teachers usually have students that are of minor age. It is against the law for a person who is aged 18 and above to have a relationship with a minor.
Loess
Jan6-12, 01:03 PM
P: n/a
When I first started uni, a teaching support staff guy from my department sent me an email in my first week of the course. He said he thought I was beautiful and wanted to get to know me. Now he's a lecturer at the same uni. i turned him down at the time as I was in a long term relationship. I don't know if its right or wrong but I think I would have had to keep our relationship secret if I decided to pursue it. i'm now single and sometimes think about contacting him but its been along time now.
Moonbear
Jan6-12, 06:58 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
Since the OP is asking about someone he wants to do a PhD with, the answer is clearly, NO. It's unethical, and a conflict of interest for her to have a relationship with you if you are her student.

As for general rules against dating students who aren't in your class, as long as they are at the university, there is a potential they could wind up in your course and become your student. There's also the possible conflict that a faculty member dating a student could put undue pressure on colleagues to boost grades in classes,etc.

I've been told since I was TA, "If it's true love, it can wait until they graduate."
netgypsy
Jan6-12, 10:48 PM
P: 239
Reminds me of the time a family member was asked by a student if she had ever posed for a poster. Since she was well over 40 at the time she was quite flattered. There are ways to let a professor know you're interested without risking a smackdown, and once you've graduated - who knows???
jedishrfu
Jan6-12, 11:00 PM
P: 2,812
funny movie short as the SXSW movie festival a few years ago about this:

Female student enters the Profs office looking very seductive and says "I'd do anything for an A"

The prof says: "Would you, would you, would you..." as she leans ever closer "READ the BOOK!"
turbo
Jan6-12, 11:40 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
I wanted to sleep with one of my profs, too. Unfortunately, her husband was my student adviser, so that wasn't going to happen. Also, one of my classmates had the hots for him and would have ratted me out in a second if I managed to get close to his wife.

She'd wear those slim tapered skirts (think Mad Men) and elastic head-bands, which were pretty retro by 1970. Pretty, and a bit geeky!
Chronos
Jan7-12, 01:18 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,386
This whole idea is highly unethical. A person in a position of authority should never have a personal relationship with someone under their current jurisdiction. It is, at best, a prejudicial relationship in the eyes of all others subject to that authority. If you hide the fact, you are merely fueling the gossip fires.
netgypsy
Jan7-12, 09:49 AM
P: 239
So true, but it doesn't stop one from drooling or fantasizing.
Galteeth
Jan21-12, 09:23 PM
P: 320
Quote Quote by Chronos View Post
This whole idea is highly unethical. A person in a position of authority should never have a personal relationship with someone under their current jurisdiction. It is, at best, a prejudicial relationship in the eyes of all others subject to that authority. If you hide the fact, you are merely fueling the gossip fires.
What if you wait till the class is over?
Loess
Jan22-12, 11:19 AM
P: n/a
The guy I started to see fairly recently was my course tutor. We are not seeing each other now as he messed me around, ignoring me and 'not knowing what he wanted'. We didn't start seeing each other until 4 weeks after the course ended when I left that establishment. I did fancy him when he was my tutor, but I didn't let him know then. All I can say is I try to think why did I fancy him? And I think I fancied him because of the knowledge he has of the subjects I love and and I would love to have that knowledge myself. He didn't respect me for my knowledge thats for sure, he didn't even want to discuss with me the subject area I was studying with him.

I am now going to take a break from men and concentrate on my studies.
Antiphon
Jan22-12, 01:04 PM
P: 1,781
Quote Quote by Loess View Post
All I can say is I try to think why did I fancy him?
You fell prey to the well-known Podium Effect.

It's why millions of women go nuts for Rock Stars. Take the microphone away from the average rock star and what do you have? A blue-collar working-class man with bad manners and a sordid history with drugs and lots of women. What's attractive about that? Nothing- until he's on stage being adored and respected by others.

Register to reply