Equilibrium, Torque and Tension

In summary, the problem involves determining the tension in a horizontal tie rope holding together two uniform, 150-N rafters with a 500-N load at their apex. The equilibrium equations must be written separately for each rafter, taking into account the force from the hinge at the upper end. The tension in the rope can be found by using the equations for torque and force balance.
zspdztzx

Homework Statement

A truss is made by hinging two uniform, 150-N rafters as depicted in the diagram below. They rest on an essentially frictionless floor and are held together by a horizontal tie rope. A 500-N load is held at their apex. Find the tension in the rope.

nlc4yf.jpg

Homework Equations

τ=lα; Sum (torque CW) + Sum (torque CCW) = 0; Fx+Fy+Fz=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I am most confused at how to include the unknown tension force Ft into building the equilibrium equation. I assume the rope exert a tension force on the left rafter (Ft1) and another one at the right rafter (Ft2, equal magnitude as Ft1 but dir reversed). After I include Ft1 and Ft2 into the torque equation (I took the left rafter contact point with the ground as the axis of rotation), almost all the terms canceled out and it left me with something like Ft * something = 0, which, in turn, suggesting my result will be 0, which, is not correct, obviously.

Can someone explains to me what did I do wrong? And, how to solve this problem correctly? Thank you.

Attachments

• 2012-01-15_18-28-47.jpg
    2012-01-15_18-28-47.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 777
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Write out the equilibrium quations separately to both rafters, including the force from the hinge at the upper end.

ehild

1. What is equilibrium and how is it achieved?

Equilibrium refers to a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no overall acceleration. This can be achieved by having equal and opposite forces acting on an object, or by having multiple forces acting at different angles that cancel each other out.

2. What is torque and how does it relate to equilibrium?

Torque is the measure of the turning force on an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the pivot point. In equilibrium, the sum of all torques acting on an object must be equal to zero, as the object is not rotating or accelerating.

3. How does tension play a role in equilibrium?

Tension is a force that occurs when an object is pulled or stretched. In equilibrium, tension is present when an object is being supported by multiple ropes or cables, as each support is pulling with an equal and opposite force to balance the weight of the object.

4. What factors can affect the equilibrium of an object?

The equilibrium of an object can be affected by changes in the forces acting on it, changes in the distance or direction of these forces, and changes in the object's mass or shape. Any change in these factors can disrupt the balance of forces and cause the object to accelerate or rotate.

5. How can the concept of equilibrium, torque, and tension be applied in real-world situations?

The principles of equilibrium, torque, and tension are commonly used in engineering and physics to design structures and machines, such as bridges, cranes, and pulley systems. They are also important in understanding the stability and balance of objects, such as buildings or vehicles, and in analyzing the forces involved in sports and other physical activities.