Register to reply

Could changes in Dietary Patterns of world population alleviate hunger problems.

by Khichdi lover
Tags: alleviate, dietary, hunger, patterns, population, world
Share this thread:
Polymathiah
Jan17-12, 02:46 PM
P: 7
You have to take into account the nutrient density as well. One kg of beef is much more dense than one kg of rice or veggies, especially if it's a fatty section or organ meat. A person could live perfectly well on just beef (I do), but trying to live on only rice would be a good way to become deficient in many nutrients. Plants don't come close to animal sources in nutrient density or spread.

My n=1 experiments have found something like 90% animal, 10% plant balance to be best for health, body composition, mental acuity, and energy levels. Your mileage may vary.
LearninDaMath
Jan17-12, 09:10 PM
P: 300
People, there is not a shortage of food due to lack of cows (or lack of ability to create enough cows) on planet earth. There are food shortages because food, for whatever reason, is not entering the bellies of people who wish to have more food than they are obtaining. But lack of chickens (or ability to increase supply of chickens) is not the reason.

One thing is for sure. As time goes on, technology progresses, products become cheaper and more efficiently produced. And food products will be easier to purchase/obtain/recieve, globally. Assuming we have a society that allows for everyone's basic needs to be met, food shortages will not be an issue.

Even as population increases and doubles...there will be enough food for everyone. And by the time population increases to the degree that life is unsustainable on earth, it will be unsustainable for reasons that don't include food.

Food breaks down into energy. We won't always have to eat broccoli to get our vitamins, and we wont always have to raise pigs to get some tasty bacon.
Ryan_m_b
Jan18-12, 04:39 AM
Mentor
P: 5,473
Quote Quote by LearninDaMath View Post
One thing is for sure. As time goes on, technology progresses, products become cheaper and more efficiently produced. And food products will be easier to purchase/obtain/recieve, globally. Assuming we have a society that allows for everyone's basic needs to be met, food shortages will not be an issue.
Hopefully this is true but already there is more than enough money and food to go around. The issue again is distribution, whether or not a technology becomes cheaper is no help if the people who need it are still too poor to afford it (and those who can are unwilling/unable to buy it for them).
Curious3141
Jan18-12, 07:47 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,952
I'm vegetarian, but I've more or less stopped trying to persuade others. If it makes one feel better to go veg, so be it. If not, suit yourself.

Register to reply