by Hurkyl
Tags: blackout, wikipedia
Share this thread:
Char. Limit
Jan17-12, 10:25 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,951
Quote Quote by jhae2.718 View Post
On the contrary, it's tremendously entertaining. Just sit back, get some popcorn, and enjoy the show.
Oh, of course it's entertaining... unless you're one of the gladiators.
OmCheeto
Jan17-12, 10:28 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,433
Quote Quote by Char. Limit View Post
Soooo glad I got out of this thread before it got crazy.
Has the blackout happened yet? They should do that every night about the same time, such that I know when to go to bed.
Char. Limit
Jan17-12, 10:29 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,951
Quote Quote by OmCheeto View Post
Has the blackout happened yet? They should do that every night about the same time, such that I know when to go to bed.
You've got half an hour. Oh, I can't wait to hear the shrieks of panic as millions of dumb teenagers try to go to Wikipedia for help to find out they can't...
Moonbear
Jan17-12, 10:39 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
You've got half an hour. Oh, I can't wait to hear the shrieks of panic as millions of dumb teenagers try to go to Wikipedia for help to find out they can't...
It will be a good day to assign a take-home essay assignment and not have to check if they plagiarized Wikipedia.

I do agree there are problems with the implementation of SOPA, particularly with not having any requirement for notification or appeal prior to shutting down a site. I have no problem with enforcing copyright laws and holding website owners responsible for the content on their site, just a problem when there's no due process prior to shutting down the site. Not every infringement claim gets held up in court.

On the other hand, I really don't know what Wikipedia thinks they will accomplish with this stunt of theirs. The world existed before Wikipedia and at best, this seems like it might demonstrate we can also still survive without it now. I think they'll do more to hurt themselves than anyone else.
OmCheeto
Jan17-12, 10:40 PM
PF Gold
Eek!

Everyone save and upload your most important wiki page to your homepage.

That way, we'll know what's what in the morning.

I'll start!

wiki

uh oh.

I see bugs in the source code in this idea.

Time for bed.

Jack21222
Jan17-12, 10:45 PM
P: 772
Quote Quote by Moonbear View Post
On the other hand, I really don't know what Wikipedia thinks they will accomplish with this stunt of theirs. The world existed before Wikipedia and at best, this seems like it might demonstrate we can also still survive without it now. I think they'll do more to hurt themselves than anyone else.
It'll bring attention to the issue, and possibly get people to call their representatives. I guarantee there will be news stories on the protest, too.
I like Serena
Jan17-12, 10:50 PM
HW Helper
P: 6,188
They show that they are against.

They show what might happen if someone posted copyrighted material on wikipedia.

If I understand correctly the owners of wikipedia could be held personally accountable for copyright infringements, which might force them to take wikipedia offline themselves.

It should give people something to think about.
Moonbear
Jan17-12, 10:55 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Jack21222 View Post
It'll bring attention to the issue, and possibly get people to call their representatives. I guarantee there will be news stories on the protest, too.
But there have already been news stories on it, and anyone who cares enough to call their representatives probably already has. I don't think it's going to bring the issue more attention than it's already gotten; it's already been all over the news, spread around Facebook, etc.
Moonbear
Jan17-12, 11:00 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by I like Serena View Post
They show that they are against.
Okay, but they don't need to go offline to show that.

They show what might happen if someone posted copyrighted material on wikipedia.
Yes, but at the risk that people realize they can get the information in other ways, and it's not really the end of the world if they can't access Wikipedia.

If I understand correctly the owners of wikipedia could be held personally accountable for copyright infringements, which might force them to take wikipedia offline themselves.
I have no problem with that aspect. If the material IS infringing on someone else's work, the owners ARE ultimately responsible. It's sort of like the driver of the car is responsible if there are drugs in their vehicle when they get caught by the cops, even if it was a "friend" who left them there. My only concern is they have an opportunity to remedy the problem by removing the copyrighted works as soon as it is brought to their attention, but there are too many sites that just want to flaunt the law and post anything and everything, even if it isn't theirs to post. If it is left to them to take the site offline to ameliorate a problem, that's how it should be.

It should give people something to think about.
In what way? Seems more like a child throwing a temper tantrum...doesn't give anything to think about other than to ignore the child until they get over themselves.
OmCheeto
Jan17-12, 11:03 PM
PF Gold
Okay, but they don't need to go offline to show that.
Actually... It's all my fault.

I was the one that didn't donate $5 before midnight.

I like Serena
Jan17-12, 11:13 PM
HW Helper
P: 6,188
Yes, but at the risk that people realize they can get the information in other ways, and it's not really the end of the world if they can't access Wikipedia.
I believe there is world shifting trend that on the internet volunteers labor to help people around the world without thought of profit.
Wikipedia is a strong example of this, and it already is the number one encyclopedic resource.
I for one think this is a good trend.

It would be a bad thing if volunteer initiatives like wikipedia were forcibly shut down, or if the founders themselves would shut it down in fear of persecution.

It's not the end of the world, but wikipedia would certainly be missed.
edward
Jan17-12, 11:18 PM
PF Gold
P: 876
Check out Google there is a petition drive against the laws. A big black rectangle covers the word GOOGLE. Click on the box and the petition form opens.
OmCheeto
Jan17-12, 11:18 PM
PF Gold
And actually, I think that's a very pretty image.

I'm of the B&W era.

Infinite shades of grey, can be so beautiful.

Night all!
QuarkCharmer
Jan17-12, 11:22 PM
P: 1,035
If anyone is concerned, you can simply disable javascript or press your browsers stop button before the wikipedia censor page loads to access the site during the blackout.
jhae2.718
Jan17-12, 11:24 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,160
Google:

Quote Quote by Google
Greg Bernhardt
Jan17-12, 11:28 PM
Admin
P: 9,575
I've added a notice near the top of PF. Linking to the wiki page to contact reps.
edward
Jan17-12, 11:29 PM
PF Gold
P: 876
http://tucson.craigslist.org/ is blacked out also.
jhae2.718
Jan17-12, 11:30 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,160
Quote Quote by Greg Bernhardt View Post
I've added a notice near the top of PF. Linking to the wiki page to contact reps.
Is it just for logged in users?

Register to reply