by Tregg Smith
Tags: obsession
Share this thread:
Evo
Jan14-12, 11:13 AM
Mentor
P: 26,541
Quote Quote by TheStatutoryApe View Post
When I was younger I was with my mom in the car and there was a commercial on the radio that said something along the lines of "You shouldn't work at your relationship, you should play at it" and my mother thought that was just horrible though I didn't understand why. I tried to explain it to her though I still don't think she understood. I said that if you view your relationship as "work" then there is probably something wrong with it. You should not do things for your partner because you feel obligated but because it is what you want to do. Communicating, listening, caring, ect should all be so natural a part of your relationship that the thought of it being "work" should not enter your head.
This is exactly how I feel. Couples I know that are happily married are this way.
netgypsy
Jan14-12, 10:15 PM
P: 239
We have quite a number of very long lasting marriages in our family and several who have had three or more that failed. The differences.

The truly happy long lasting marriages really enjoy each other's company. They LIKE each other in addition to being in love. They LAUGH all the time and each partner has had to carry 100% at times and has done it gladly. One, whose spouse had a couple of particularly bad years used to tell him "It's a good thing you accumulated all those points over the years or I sure wouldn't put up with you right now!" But even that was said with love. A happily married couple does not let the other one hurt their feelings. They refuse to play games. When they disagree, they stick to the point and never globalize about other episodes in the past. And one of the absolutely biggest things is respect and willingness by either to do any job that needs to be done when it needs to be done regardless of whether the other could do it and isn't . That is never an issue with them. And when one sees the other doing some kind of chore, they pitch in and help or do something else that needs to be done. These marriages have a lot of variability in whether or not the wife works, whether the husband helps with the housework and so on, but whatever the normality is, if either is needed for something they don't usually do, it's not a point of argument. It gets done. So thinking about all the good marriages I'm familiar with and the bad ones, it seems that there is a complete absence of "I" and a concentration on "we" as a team who are always on the same side, that makes the good ones good, and the bad ones are exactly the opposite. There's always blame, one or both parties always looking to be sure the other is doing the fair share, looking for things wrong, not things that are good in their relationship. No trust, no honesty, no sense of humor, no joy, no respect, and, in the end, no love in the ones that failed. And it can be one or both that cause the failure. But of the three who had at least two bad marriages, the last one, finally was a good one, and they are still happily married. So don't give up hope if the first one or two or three were crappy. Some people are just not real lucky when it come to spouses.
TheStatutoryApe
Jan18-12, 01:03 PM
P: 1,550
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
And what about those times when one is in a bad mood or doesn't feel like compromising, or when there is an impass and you can't agree? Or what about when the partner is unreasonable because of health problems or problems at work? What about when your partner melts down because of a death in the family or some other crisis?

Work, effort, a willingness to try, the ability to compromise, the abiity to see the problem through the other person's eyes, call it what you like but it doesn't happen without effort. Imo, anything else is a fairy tale - a result of too much TV or a lack of honesty.
Playing games takes effort. Going on vacation to a tropical island paradise takes effort. Its not a matter of effort, as all things except perhaps being a couch potato require effort. Its a matter of perceptions. For most people "work" refers to this thing that they have to do which they would rather not, an obligation rather than a desire. If dealing with your mate when things aren't peachy is more of an obligation to you than a desire to maintain your relationship then there is something wrong. Not necessarily irreparably wrong and reason to leave each other, but it is a symptom of something that ought to be taken care of rather than something that ought to be considered normal, in my opinion.
pongo38
Jan18-12, 01:11 PM
P: 699
'Lemon tree, very pretty, and the lemon flower is sweet, but the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat'
DaveC426913
Jan18-12, 02:09 PM
P: 15,319
Is this a reference to lemon party?
netgypsy
Jan18-12, 02:18 PM
Work becomes fun when you do it with someone you like and who is just FUN to be around.
DaveC426913
Jan18-12, 02:24 PM
P: 15,319
Quote Quote by TheStatutoryApe View Post
For most people "work" refers to this thing that they have to do which they would rather not, an obligation rather than a desire.
Perhaps a better word is "effort". We all know that few good things come to us without investing some sort of effort.
netgypsy
Jan18-12, 02:26 PM
And if one or both parties don't really care, there won't be any effort.
phoenix:\\
Jan24-12, 12:16 AM
P: 74
Quote Quote by StevieTNZ View Post
People still have sex when they're 60?!
Why do you dislike old people?

@ OP: That doesn't seem like a sex obsession to me, more like you just want to take a gander at another lady's goods. If that is the case, you're 60, just ask your wife for an open marriage.
Jimmy Snyder
Jan24-12, 06:17 AM
P: 2,179
Quote Quote by pongo38 View Post
'Lemon tree, very pretty, and the lemon flower is sweet, but the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat'
Lemon flower, very pretty, and the lemon fruit is sweet, but the tree of the poor lemon is impossible to eat.
TheStatutoryApe
Jan24-12, 07:08 AM
P: 1,550
I only knew the lemon tree from the background for this song....

the album version is better than the live one here.
netgypsy
Jan24-12, 09:43 AM
He could just ask his wife if she cares if he has an "out of marriage" dalliance. But perhaps he should ask the bag lady first. She might not be interested.

Register to reply