Admin
P: 21,637
Romney and his opponents
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/10/us...y-defense.html
daveb
Jan11-12, 07:33 AM
P: 927
Quote Quote by Oltz View Post
The problem is the current "non-essential" Government programs have grown out of control and are a cumbersome burden.
I'd say the problem is that different people disagree on what is "non-essential", not that they've grown out of control. Enough politicians believe them to be essential. After all, if any truly were non-essential, then they wouldn't exist.
phinds
Jan11-12, 08:38 AM
PF Gold
P: 5,707
Quote Quote by daveb View Post
After all, if any truly were non-essential, then they wouldn't exist.
Ah, optimism. How I love it.
russ_watters
Jan11-12, 11:50 AM
Mentor
P: 22,007
I'd say the problem is that different people disagree on what is "non-essential", not that they've grown out of control. Enough politicians believe them to be essential. After all, if any truly were non-essential, then they wouldn't exist.
My definition comes from a strict reading of the Constitution. On that basis, I consider all social programs and subsidies optional.
Oltz
Jan11-12, 02:47 PM
P: 12
Enough politicians think programs are essential for re-election. Essential government programs are those needed to facilitate governance. Those include:

1. Major Infrastruture Planning and Funding. (projects that effect or benefit multiple states)
2. Settle disputes both between states and other entities that cross jurisdictions i.e environmental issues.
3. Issue guidlines and Laws that are deemed best applied the same way acorss the entire nation. i.e. voting age
4. Defense this includes many fields of research as well
5. Interact with other nations.
6. Fund itself

All other functions are non essential and you can have a government and nation with out them. Some would go to lower levels (state/county/city/local) others are flat out not needed.

Even the post office is not essential in this country anymore.

Its pretty hard to say a program that garuntees any loan is essential...We have bankruptcy laws for a reason companies and industries like people need to survive or not on their own merits. I am sure you can think of some others...
ThomasT
Jan12-12, 01:00 AM
P: 1,414
Apparently Romney's in favor of the minimum wage rising with inflation, which I think would benefit both individual minumum wage earners and businesses, and therefore be good for the US.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1200418.html
Jack21222
Jan12-12, 09:26 AM
P: 771
Quote Quote by ThomasT View Post
Apparently Romney's in favor of the minimum wage rising with inflation, which I think would benefit both individual minumum wage earners and businesses, and therefore be good for the US.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1200418.html
...says the guy who vetoed a minimum wage increase while he was governor.
skeptic2
Jan15-12, 09:18 AM
P: 1,784
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Not necessarily true. The company my father worked for had union and non-union workers. The non-union workers in the same job titles received more merit raises and benefits since they were not locked into a contract. I was at a company dinner and had this conversation with the company's attorney.

Also, where I worked, there was a very large union, when I started I was an occupational (non-management) worker. I elected not to join the union, but I got the same pay and benefits as the union workers, the company did not discriminate. I did not like the union and refused to limit the amount of work I did. As one union job steward threatened me to stop being so productive, she said that the union had worked very hard to convince management that workers could not do that amount of work and I was hurting them. I hate unions and union mentality.
Evo, since we have both lived in Kansas, we both know that Kansas is a right-to-work state. You received the same pay and benefits as the union workers, not because the company did not discriminate, but because thatís what the law required. The consensus is that in non-right-to-work states, union workers do make higher wages and have better benefits than non-union workers.

A study done by the University of Tennessee indicated that the wage differential between union and non-union workers was about 10% but that union workers were also about 10% more productive due to the grievance process which allows grievances between workers and management to be resolved without the worker leaving the company. That process significantly reduced turnover, rehiring, training, production errors and injuries.

It is possible that the union steward who told you not to work so hard misinterpreted the unionís objectives. Generally the unions use increases in production as a basis for negotiating higher wages, thus higher production is in the best interests of the union.
Evo
Jan15-12, 09:26 AM
Mentor
P: 25,959
Quote Quote by skeptic2 View Post
Generally the unions use increases in production as a basis for negotiating higher wages, thus higher production is in the best interests of the union.
Not at the company I worked for. And remember, I worked both as occupational and management for the same company for over thirty years and saw the problems from both sides. I guess there could be some exceptions to the rule, but this union was the pits, IMO.
ginru
Jan15-12, 06:29 PM
P: 2
Even when he's helping someone, he still comes off as fake or just buying attention: Romney Gives Unemployed Woman Cash
Evo
Jan16-12, 10:56 AM
Mentor
Looks like Romney is going to take SC.

Romney opens 21-point lead in South Carolina: Reuters/Ipsos poll
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...80D0U420120114
Alfi
Jan16-12, 12:02 PM
P: 151
Quote Quote by ginru View Post
Even when he's helping someone, he still comes off as fake or just buying attention: Romney Gives Unemployed Woman Cash
lol ... really ?
The woman, 55-year-old Ruth Williams, says she has been following the Romney campaign since he arrived in the state on Jan. 11, when she said she received a message from God to track him down.
Is this type of story we should consider worthy as any kind of appraisal for or against any Presidential candidate of the USA ?
Are these the stories that the GOP race/fight/political selection been reduced to in it's elimination round?

I see some of the discussion has already started about Mr. Romney's possible partner in crime .. um um I mean Vice President.
He seems to to be the foregone concussion as the ticket name ... so far.

The GOP is still roounding em up and lining em up and shooting em down ...
It ain't over yet.
skippy1729
Jan17-12, 11:20 PM
P: 148
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Looks like Romney is going to take SC.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...80D0U420120114
This poll was before his stumbling performance at the Myrtle Beach debate. If he repeats this Thursday for the CNN debate he might be in trouble.

Skippy
KingNothing
Jan18-12, 12:49 AM
P: 949
The good: Romney is frank about his views, which I respect. He plainly says that he is against gay marriage, against medical marijuana, and even believes women should never hold the presidential office.

The bad: But, he comes off as a rich guy out of touch with the common person's financial woes. He recently said that his effective tax rate is "around 15 percent". That's pretty low for a guy who is in the top 0.001% as far as total wealth.

The ugly: This really showed when he offered Rick Perry a casual $10K bet over a minor debate point. He does know the average person can't casually bet $10K, right?
mheslep
Jan18-12, 04:09 PM
PF Gold
P: 3,021
Quote Quote by KingNothing View Post
The good: Romney is frank about his views, ... and even believes women should never hold the presidential office....
What? Where does that come from?
KingNothing
Jan18-12, 05:46 PM
P: 949
Quote Quote by mheslep View Post
What? Where does that come from?
Whoops! I was actually thinking of Rick Santorum on that one. Sorry. I would edit my post if I could.
turbo
Jan19-12, 03:18 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
According to recent polls, Gingrich has pulled even with Romney in SC. It should be noted that the polls were conducted before Gingrich's second wife came out in an interview and said that he doesn't have the character to be President.
Evo
Jan19-12, 03:38 PM
Mentor
More on Romney's Cayman Island money.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/romney...ry?id=15378566

Register to reply