Register to reply

Particle at the edge of nothing

by minio
Tags: edge, particle
Share this thread:
minio
Jan19-12, 06:48 AM
P: 53
I was just thinking. If I would have particle and an interface behind which there is zero proability of this particle being there, what would happened if I tried to push it over this boundary? It will bounce back, spread along this boundary or happily went into oblivion pretending that it actually could be there?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Detecting neutrinos, physicists look into the heart of the Sun
Measurement at Big Bang conditions confirms lithium problem
Researchers study gallium to design adjustable electronic components
ZapperZ
Jan19-12, 07:08 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,238
Quote Quote by minio View Post
I was just thinking. If I would have particle and an interface behind which there is zero proability of this particle being there, what would happened if I tried to push it over this boundary? It will bounce back, spread along this boundary or happily went into oblivion pretending that it actually could be there?
Don't we all do this in undergraduate QM class when we solve for the infinite square well potential, or an infinite barrier?

Zz.
minio
Jan19-12, 07:12 AM
Not if your undegraduate study includes neurobiology, physiology, anatomy and taxonomy of plants and animals...

ZapperZ
Jan19-12, 08:30 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,238
Particle at the edge of nothing

Quote Quote by minio View Post
Not if your undegraduate study includes neurobiology, physiology, anatomy and taxonomy of plants and animals...
Then my guess is that your question really isn't about "quantum physics", but rather more general and elementary. It also means that you need to clearly elaborate what you are really asking for. A quantum particle at an infinite barrier is well-known. A classical particle at such a barrier is also well-known (basic 1st year classical mechanics). However, this doesn't appear to be what you have in mind. So a more detailed explanation is needed.

This thread may also be moved.

Zz.
minio
Jan19-12, 10:30 AM
Actually I was looking for infinite quantum well/particle in the box, but I have not known it. It is easy to find something when you know what you are looking for. However I was going to ask different question, I was not sure about the particle in the box outcome.
My real question is, athough I am not sure if it make sense, if I trapped photon inside the box from which it cannot escape and its size is one wavelength of the photon what would happened?
Because as I understand uncertanity principle I cannot determine its exact position along with its momentum. However as the size of the box is its one wavelength it cannot change to longer ones and if it change to higher ones it would break energy conservation. And being photon its velocity is c so no uncertanity there. So in my opinion such case it has to slow down so there could be uncertanity in speed and start to show some mass. Thus in confined enviroment nothing with mass should be able to reach speed of light and something with speed of light cannot be confined in such way. Am I totally off or does it actually make sense? Or am I missing some 101 physics knowledge again?

Register to reply