Register to reply

Is there a free version of MCNP visual editor or similar?

by Alexe
Tags: editor, free, mcnp, similar, version, visual
Share this thread:
Alexe
Jan17-12, 04:08 AM
P: 1
I have just started to use MCNP code for nuclear reactor modelling. I would like to practice using a visual editor for input file. Can any one tell me how can I get a free version of visual editor or other similar editor compatible with MCNP?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
King Richard III died painfully on battlefield
Capturing ancient Maya sites from both a rat's and a 'bat's eye view'
flpojken
Jan20-12, 10:15 AM
P: 8
Quote Quote by Alexe View Post
I have just started to use MCNP code for nuclear reactor modelling. I would like to practice using a visual editor for input file. Can any one tell me how can I get a free version of visual editor or other similar editor compatible with MCNP?
Have you tried to use the command

"mcnp ip inp=your file"
"ori 0 0 0"

Then you should be able to see the geometry
imabug
Jan20-12, 11:13 PM
P: 345
your copy of MCNP should have come with Vised, which is a visual editor that's supposed to help you create the geometry for your input file. there's a bit of a learning curve, but you might find it helpful in addition to using MCNP's built-in plotting. Personally I find it difficult to use so I usually create my input files by hand (laying the geometry out on paper can be helpful) and use Vised as a visual tool to check my input file.

There is also supposed to be some method where an AutoCAD file can be converted into an MCNP input file, but I've never tried or investigated it.

Register to reply