by CaptainQuasar
Tags: game, landmark
Share this thread:
Andre
Jan28-12, 10:35 AM
PF Gold
P: 5,458
Great to see you, Fuzzyfelt

Of course, you're right. I've been living close to that for a few years. It is a very important still active abbey, getting a lot of visitors.
fuzzyfelt
Jan28-12, 03:40 PM
PF Gold
P: 742
Trouble getting free, no hint.

fuzzyfelt
Jan28-12, 05:17 PM
PF Gold
The photo is taken from this landmark.
OmCheeto
Jan28-12, 06:35 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,431
Quote Quote by fuzzyfelt View Post
The photo is taken from this landmark.
That looks just like the Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor.

I would guess that the landmark is the USS Missouri, from fact that that ship has a wooden deck, but I can't get the background to line up correctly from where she is presently parked.

Ah ha!

USS Bowfin Submarine Museum & Park!

Obviously taken from the deck of the Bowfin.

So odd seeing non-albacore hulled submarines. They look like surface ships.
fuzzyfelt
Jan28-12, 06:58 PM
PF Gold
Yep!! Great work! There seemed to be a bit of a nautical theme going.

Still cropped, but more of the shot-

A land and water mark.
OmCheeto
Jan28-12, 08:45 PM
PF Gold

Still cropped, but more of the shot-

A land and water mark.
Yay!

My sister got back from there about 2 weeks ago. She never mentioned the Bowfin. Oh well, she had 3 twenty year olds to entertain. Can't be dragging them to old junk.

hmmmm.... speaking of old junk, I should try and contact my old friend Gene and see if he can identify this image from 33 years ago. It was from our second greatest adventure.

(an attempt at stereo-vision )

This particular feature may or may not exist any more, as I could not find it after an hour of googling.

*Apr 79? OMG! I was 19! hmmm... If it weren't for the pictures, I wouldn't remember this trip either. Odd that there were no pictures from the first adventure, just a month before, and I can remember it vividly. Weird the way the mind works.
OmCheeto
Jan29-12, 03:13 PM
PF Gold
Wow! Thank god for shoe boxes.

This image is the same as above, only with the lights turned on:

And this image looks like it was taken from a moving vehicle:

More old obsolete junk I guess.
OmCheeto
Jan29-12, 06:09 PM
PF Gold

Gads! Without even realizing it, I've continued the nautical theme. 1sts ones to answer but not 2nds one should it get.

(<-- not a hint. I just find my clues silly sometimes.)
OmCheeto
Jan30-12, 10:19 PM
PF Gold
Yay shoebox!

There's my old friend Gene again. Still in the same pants he was wearing last week.

And some much tinier strangers.

Andre
Jan31-12, 03:19 AM
PF Gold
Might that be a Saturn V engine in the rocket garden of the Kennedy Space Center?
OmCheeto
Jan31-12, 09:05 AM
PF Gold
No "might" about it.

Gene was standing next to the Saturn V J-2 Engine, and the dwarfs were standing next to the Saturn V F-1 engine.

"1sts ones to answer but not 2nds one should it get. " was a clue that something was reversed: 1sts --> sts1 --> "STS-1 was the first orbital flight of NASA's Space Shuttle program. Space Shuttle Columbia launched on 12 April 1981"

I'm fairly certain that the image taken from the moving vehicle was a shuttle launch pad, under construction.

The original stereo image was of a moonscape landing simulator. And the daylight version had the LEM simulator in the background.

And the nautical theme? Why the National Aeronautics and Space Administration(NASA) of course. hmmm.. Does that imply I'm a hydronaut?
From the original Greek: ναυτική --> nautikē which means navigation.
Now I fully understand B.Elliots moniker: Bathynaut = Navigator of the deep.

Anyways, you are correct Andre. The answer was: The Kennedy Space Center.
Andre
Jan31-12, 09:14 AM
PF Gold
Good one, Om

Another theme, screen shot from google earth.

fuzzyfelt
Jan31-12, 11:18 AM
PF Gold
http://armchairtravelogue.blogspot.c...-circular.html
Andre
Jan31-12, 12:38 PM
PF Gold
Right Fuzzyfelt.

Not too difficult I guess.
epenguin
Feb1-12, 03:26 AM
HW Helper
P: 1,985
FYI My photos two pages back are at Bergen, Norway, an almost unique extant and almost original ‘Kontor’ - trading post/enclave of the Hanseatic League, the league of Germanic merchants who dominated trade in the Baltic and North Sea in their heyday 1300-1500. As far as I have been able to make out, this wooden structure/quarter is not from that time but a reconstruction dating from 1700. However the reconstruction was according to plans of the previous structure which, like most Nordic cities one or more times, burnt down, and I believe gives a pretty good idea of the original.

The accounts.

If you look at the coin or medallion you can make out 'London', where the Hansa had a longstanding Kontor, closed in Queen Elizabeth I's reign.

The fire risk explains the dark pic which is of the sleeping bunks of the apprentice merchants who had a very hard life. Because of the fire risk they could not have even a light, let alone heating there. More convivial environments on separate structures for eating and no doubt roistering are shown in other pics,

By 1700 the League was well down the path of decline, but in Bergen it lasted another half-century, no doubt sustained by demand for its product, stockfish.

Quote Quote by epenguin View Post

This is essentially air-dried fish and the surprisingly dry and sunny local climate with the Norwegian fishing vocation favoured this exportable product. In the late middle ages and early modern period conserved fish of one kind or another were one of the most internationally traded products. Firstly because they were among the limited number of foods that then could be conserved (shelf life of stockfish a year or two) secondly because of the numerous days when it was religiously prescribed (sustained period of Lent, but more than a hundred days a year total).

Bergen, then, was one of the last dropouts from the Hanseatic League which like many Medieval remnants (The Holy Roman Empire, the Venetian Republic, the Knights of Malta, the Teutonic Knights,…) were essentially wound up during the Napoleonic Empire period. Talking of which, neither I nor our tour guide know anything of the anachronistic wall pictures in paper or silk which are clearly of Napoleon’s expedition to Egypt. I started to rack my memory of school history like - whose side was Norway on in the Napoleonic wars? Well as a state it didn’t exist, it was part of the Kingdom of Denmark. During the wars both sides attempted a form of economic warfare, Napoleon with the ‘Continental System’ and the British with a trade blockade. Baltic neutrals including Sweden and Russia as well as Denmark opposed this with the (second) League of Armed Neutrality*. This was viewed as hostile by the British and led to Nelson’s famous ‘blind eye’ bombardment of Copenhagen. (The same casus belli was part-cause of the 1812 war with the USA. Ah, 1812, Russia must by then have changed sides and so at some point did Sweden despite losing Finland to Russia and, oddly, having as King one of Napoleon’s Marshals – all very confusing really.) Anyway this brought Denmark onto the side of Napoleon – and as a result Prussia…(contd. on p. 94). Oh and Danes continued a form of naval guerrilla against the British called the ‘Gunboat Wars’ of which I first heard following this thing up. Maybe all this has something to do with the pic - there are very numerous artistic and not always contemporary renderings of the expedition in galleries and collections all over – but just what I really couldn’t say. Who is interested in this history stuff anyway? Well I am.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_...med_Neutrality

(I should mention that fuzzyfelt was first to get the answer and told me by PM but was travelling and didn't want the turn.)
fuzzyfelt
Feb2-12, 04:24 PM
PF Gold
Wonderful, epenguin! Iíll comment more when I can.

I immediately found the last landmark and answered absently, then deleted to check if Iíd be able to play, but had already posted the solution, so posted the answer again when I could, but hadnít expected to be caught up for so long. Here is a rushed landmark (no hints)-

fuzzyfelt
Feb3-12, 12:16 PM
PF Gold
The photo above was taken from the landmark. This place has other landmarks. The landmarks in this case can be quite morbid, although I guess that contrasts with life, and that the loss of any creature diminishes us.

(there is someone in the shot, but isnít part of the hint)
fuzzyfelt
Feb4-12, 12:07 PM
PF Gold
These and the image above are part of the same group of hints.

Register to reply