Calcite deviation between r-ray and o-ray

• Thread starter enotstrebor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    deviation
In summary: Your Name]In summary, the deviation of o-ray and e-ray can be explained using Huygen's wave fronts, with the o-ray following a circular path and the e-ray following an elliptical path. The maximum deviation is often quoted as 6 degrees, but this is an approximation and may vary in different situations. Differences in tangent angles and the limitations of Huygen's wave fronts as a theoretical model may contribute to the observed difference in calculated maximum deviation. Further experimental measurements may help to validate and refine these calculations.
enotstrebor
One explanation of the deviation of o-ray and e-ray is done using Huygen's wave fronts which for the o-ray is a circle and for the e-ray is and ellipse. The ellipse is given by the two refraction induces of 1.658 and 1.486 (http://physics.info/refraction/)
are "a" (major axis) and "b" (minor axis) respectively.

I have read in several places that the maximum deviation of the o-ray and e-ray is about 6 degrees.

However when I do the calculation for the angular difference for the same tangent using Huygen's wave fronts (a circle and ellipse) I only get a maximum angular deviation of about 3 degrees.

Can anyone explain the difference, which obviously includes some possible error of mine?

NOTE:

As, for example, in the following equations, the square root only gives positive values the equations require the addition of "-" to put the results in the correct quadrant.

The ellipses I used had the angle from the major axis which I put along the y-axix; given the tangent angle Ang the tangent line equation is

y = Ang*x + sqrt(Ang^2*b^2+a^2)

The x coordinate of the point on the ellipse is

x = - [ sqrt( (b^4*a^2) / ( tan(Ang)^-2 a^4 + b^2*a^2 ) ) ]

where the "-" comes in because the positive slopes are to the left of zero.

One then uses the radian arcsin of "(-x/b)" to get the angle to that tangent point (TangentAngle =arcsin(-x/b)*180/\pi).

Subtracting the starting (circle tangent) Ang-TangentAngle gives you the deviation.

The maximum deviation is at ~46.568 where the asymmetry is due to the "stretching" along the "a" direction.

Any experimental measurement of the maximum deviation angle will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and calculations on the deviation of o-ray and e-ray using Huygen's wave fronts. I would like to offer some explanations for the difference you have observed in the maximum angular deviation.

Firstly, it is important to note that the maximum deviation of 6 degrees that is often quoted is an approximation and may vary depending on the specific materials and conditions being studied. This value may also be influenced by experimental error and uncertainties in measurement.

Secondly, your calculations assume that the o-ray and e-ray have the same tangent angle (Ang) at the point of emergence, which may not always be the case. In reality, the tangent angles for the two rays may differ slightly due to the different refractive indices of the materials they are passing through. This could explain the difference in your calculated maximum deviation compared to the commonly quoted value.

Additionally, Huygen's wave fronts are a theoretical concept and do not always perfectly represent the behavior of light in real-world situations. Factors such as surface imperfections and variations in material properties can also contribute to differences in the observed deviation.

In conclusion, the difference in your calculated maximum deviation and the commonly quoted value may be due to various factors such as experimental error, slight differences in tangent angles, and the limitations of Huygen's wave fronts as a theoretical model. Further experimental measurements may help to validate and refine these calculations. I hope this helps to clarify the issue. Thank you for your contribution to the discussion on this topic.

What is calcite deviation between r-ray and o-ray?

Calcite deviation between r-ray and o-ray is the phenomenon where light entering a calcite crystal is split into two rays, called the ordinary (o-ray) and extraordinary (e-ray) rays, due to the crystal's birefringence. The two rays travel at different speeds and have different refractive indices, resulting in a deviation in their paths.

Why does calcite exhibit birefringence?

Calcite exhibits birefringence due to its crystal structure, which is made up of layers of atoms arranged in a specific pattern. This arrangement causes the crystal to have different optical properties along different axes, resulting in the splitting of light into two rays.

What is the difference between the r-ray and o-ray in calcite?

The r-ray (or ordinary ray) is the ray that follows the normal laws of refraction and travels at a slower speed through the calcite crystal. The o-ray (or extraordinary ray) is the ray that deviates from the normal laws of refraction and travels at a faster speed through the crystal.

How does the deviation between r-ray and o-ray affect the appearance of objects through a calcite crystal?

The deviation between r-ray and o-ray causes a double image effect when looking through a calcite crystal. This means that objects viewed through the crystal will appear to be duplicated or shifted, depending on the angle of the crystal and the direction of light entering it.

Can the amount of calcite deviation between r-ray and o-ray be controlled?

Yes, the amount of calcite deviation between r-ray and o-ray can be controlled by adjusting the angle of the crystal and the direction of the light entering it. This can be useful in various scientific and optical applications, such as in polarizing filters used in photography and LCD screens.