How are Screw Conveyers Manufactured?

by kateman
Tags: conveyers, manufactured, screw
Share this thread:
kateman
Jan26-12, 08:20 AM
P: 117
Hello,

Does anyone have any idea how the screw conveyers in these photos would be manufactured? http://www.bwsinclair.com/Products/L...%20Bottoms.htm

It's the variable fin length that I don't understand - could this be extruded? Any clue how it would/could be done?

Thanks for your help :)
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Researchers find security flaws in backscatter X-ray scanners
Virtual reality guides those whose memory is failing
Intelligent navigation system to personalise shopping trips
tvavanasd
Jan28-12, 10:18 AM
P: 88
Most likely modelled using 3D software, then laser or plasma cut based on flat patterns created by software. Finally, flat parts are bent/ formed and welded together.
DaveC426913
Jan28-12, 10:25 AM
P: 15,319
My first thought was the same as tvaavavannnanad's: flat parts, bent and welded.

Chronos
Jan28-12, 02:00 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,432
How are Screw Conveyers Manufactured?

The screw blade is usually roll formed from strip or coil then welded to a shaft.
kateman
Jan29-12, 07:14 AM
P: 117
Thanks everyone for your insight- that does make a lot of sense :)

Out of interest, if they are made separately, how do you think the body may have been created?
tvavanasd
Jan29-12, 02:41 PM
P: 88
Assuming that you mean the middle photo:
The body is made from a tube (purchased welded tube), a cone and a cap welded together.
The tube appears to extend full length through the cone (provides a straighter final part).
There are visible bend lines on the cone that suggest it was made from a flat sheet.
Note sure if they made the cone from one piece or two; may be possible to make from one, likely easier to make from two and have them joined with weld.
Get your grinder out.

Register to reply