Graduate degree in math

by andreigustav
Tags: degree, graduate, math
Share this thread:
andreigustav
Feb2-12, 05:36 AM
P: 1
i just graduated college majoring in economics having a 3.85 GPA
problem is my interests have shifted to maths particularly geometry and topology
i didnt take any such math courses in college but i have read extensively most of the advanced undergrad books on analytical geometry.
now i really want to get into a math program in grad school but i think my chances are slim since i dont have any evidence to prove my mathematical ability to pursue a masters or phd.

any thoughts???
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
chiro
Feb2-12, 06:11 AM
P: 4,572
Hey andreigustav and welcome to the forums.

Have you checked out your prospective universities that you are interested in for entry requirements?

My guess is that you will face a lot of competition especially from people who have not only done grad level courses in their undergraduate program, but also people with any kind of research experience.

It might help if you find out requirements like whether you have to do the math GRE or have a significant number of high level coursework in pure math (analysis, topology, etc).

It will also help if you have any good letters of recommendation as well as finding out (equally importantly) how much weight they carry depending on the person and the department they are in.

I don't know if you can get in, but answering these questions in my opinion will get you much closer to an answer.
diligence
Feb2-12, 03:15 PM
P: 144
i agree your chances at a decent school are probably very slim as it stands now. however if you truly want to pursue math, you can increase those chances over the next year or two by taking classes and finding a professor to research with.

Sankaku
Feb2-12, 05:55 PM
P: 714
Graduate degree in math

Quote Quote by andreigustav View Post
i didnt take any such math courses in college but i have read extensively most of the advanced undergrad books on analytical geometry.
Could you let us know the textbooks you have been working with? It might help us give you better advice regarding your level of preparation.

Register to reply