Register to reply

How can I have a badge?

by jhosamelly
Tags: badge
Share this thread:
jhosamelly
Feb3-12, 11:38 AM
P: 126
How can i have a badge like homework helper.. science adviser.. etc??

Are there requirements?? Like no. of post or something??

sorry if this is something obvious.. I just started here so I have no idea ..

Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
ZapperZ
Feb3-12, 11:44 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,239
Those designations are awarded to members by the Admin/Mentors based on their evaluation of a member's consistent performance and ability in this forum. One can neither ask nor request for them.

Zz.
micromass
Feb3-12, 12:22 PM
Mentor
P: 18,040
See here for more information on the medals: http://www.physicsforums.com/library...item&itemid=88

Ryan_m_b
Feb3-12, 12:25 PM
Mentor
P: 5,405
How can I have a badge?

If you want one you're going to have to be an excellent member welcome to the forums!
ViewsofMars
Feb3-12, 12:48 PM
P: 463
Quote Quote by Ryan_m_b View Post
If you want one you're going to have to be an excellent member welcome to the forums!
There are excellent members without a badge. Personally speaking, a person without a badge doesn't imply that he/she aren't qualified to make outstanding contributions. Just because a person does have a badge doesn't mean they are perfect nor does it imply they don't make mistakes.
Ryan_m_b
Feb3-12, 12:54 PM
Mentor
P: 5,405
Quote Quote by ViewsofMars View Post
There are excellent members without a badge. Personally speaking, a person without a badge doesn't imply that he/she aren't qualified to make outstanding contributions. Just because a person does have a badge doesn't mean they are perfect nor does it imply they don't make mistakes.
I totally agree
ZapperZ
Feb3-12, 01:16 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
The badges make NO implication of such things either.

A SA badge for physics doesn't imply that person is qualified to be an expert in Biology. Furthermore, the badge also signifies a consistent participation. Someone who is more qualified, but participates only during the yearly migration of the ducks would not receive such a badge either.

Zz.
ViewsofMars
Feb3-12, 02:35 PM
Quote Quote by ZapperZ View Post
The badges make NO implication of such things either.

A SA badge for physics doesn't imply that person is qualified to be an expert in Biology. Furthermore, the badge also signifies a consistent participation. Someone who is more qualified, but participates only during the yearly migration of the ducks would not receive such a badge either.

Zz.
I'm positive that this must be of help to your viewing audience and current members as of todate is 333,797. Yet, I did look http://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=213
and noted that very few members vote on who is or isn't going to win a badge because as you say, "Someone who is more qualified, but participates only during the yearly migration of the ducks would not receive such a bade either." Mind explaining to me what you mean by 'migration of the ducks'. I would hope you do have *more* qualifed individuals with a badge. Also, a badge holder with an "Anonymous" name might tend to confuse people who participate thinking the person is afraid to use it if the title is related to science or such.

All I'm doing is providing you with feedback on this topic. Also, I hit an average 1,273 websites in a day when I am online. Sorry for my lack of full-time presence here. I don't spend my life hooked up to the Internet. My personal opinion is a badge isn't necessary. What you present to the public online should be honest and true as far as I am concerned since I think it is far more valuable then a title with a badge.
Evo
Feb3-12, 02:52 PM
Mentor
P: 26,474
I'm positive that this must be of help to your viewing audience and current members as of todate is 333,797. Yet, I did look http://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=213
and noted that very few members vote on who is or isn't going to win a badge
That is a popular vote by members for fun, it is not a "badge" in the sense of a homework helper or science advisor. Zz was refering to HH and SA medals.
ZapperZ
Feb3-12, 02:58 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
That is a popular vote by members for fun, it is not a "badge" in the sense of a homework helper or science advisor. Zz was refering to HH and SA medals.
Correct. I am confining to the award in question asked in the OP, not the end-of-the-year Guru awards!

Zz.
ViewsofMars
Feb3-12, 02:59 PM
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Ok. The HH and SA medals are voted by members and I have seen that before and seen a very minute amount of members voting. I do recall one member Jimmy declined. Do you have those statistics available any longer or are they deleted?
ZapperZ
Feb3-12, 03:01 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Ok. The HH and SA medals are voted by members and I have seen that before and seen a very minute amount of members voting. I do recall one member Jimmy declined. Do you have those statistics available any longer or are they deleted?
HH and SA medals are NOT voted by members!

Zz.
ViewsofMars
Feb3-12, 03:10 PM
Quote Quote by ZapperZ View Post
HH and SA medals are NOT voted by members!

Zz.
That's interesting since I voted for several people located here: http://www.physicsforums.com/showgroups.php

You have had voting by members before. Maybe you would like to tell me why I voted for some of those members from the link prior to them getting a badge. Do you have the statistics for that ? Also, why do you think members don't have right to vote now? It is a democracy. Isn't it? Please explain to me what you meant by 'migration of the ducks'.
micromass
Feb3-12, 03:13 PM
Mentor
That's interesting since I voted for several people located here: http://www.physicsforums.com/showgroups.php

You have had voting by members before. Maybe you would like to tell me why I voted for some of those members from the link prior to them getting a badge. Do you have the statistics for that ?
Your vote did not cause them to get an SA of HH badge. People get badges if the current SA's, HH's and mentors think they should have one. The voting you refer to has nothing to do with the system of Science Advisors and Homework Helpers.

It's not surprising that the people you voted for have SA or HH badges, since they tend to have quality posts. However, the regular members have no say in whether somebody receives a badge or not.
micromass
Feb3-12, 03:14 PM
Mentor
It is a democracy. Isn't it?
This forum is not a democracy. This is privately owned by King Greg Bernhardt I and he can do what he wants to. He chooses to make this a scientific forum which promotes mainstream science.

It would not be a good idea to let all members decide on who should be SA or HH, since they don't necessarily are qualified to judge. Do you expect to let all people in the world judge on who should get a publication in a scientific journal?? This is the same idea.
Doc Al
Feb3-12, 03:34 PM
Mentor
P: 41,318
Please explain to me what you meant by 'migration of the ducks'.
Just a joke to illustrate how there may be members who might make high quality posts, but who participate only rarely (during the annual migration).
Drakkith
Feb3-12, 04:47 PM
Mentor
P: 11,582

You have had voting by members before. Maybe you would like to tell me why I voted for some of those members from the link prior to them getting a badge. Do you have the statistics for that ? Also, why do you think members don't have right to vote now? It is a democracy. Isn't it? Please explain to me what you meant by 'migration of the ducks'.
Are you referring to the voting for "Awards" that was done back in december? Those are not badges. Having a "2011 Spirit Award" has nothing to do with having a HH Badge.
I like Serena
Feb3-12, 04:50 PM
HW Helper
P: 6,187
Confusingly we have a 2011 PF Award for Homework Help and also a Homework Helper medal. ;)

The first has been awarded by the popularity vote in december, the second is awarded by the mentors.

Register to reply