Register to reply

Making an electromagnet

by beatlemaniacj
Tags: electromagnet, magnet
Share this thread:
beatlemaniacj
Feb2-12, 06:56 PM
P: 49
Greetings. I need help making an electromagnet. I would make it out of copper coil and a rare earth metal, undecided on that point yet. I know how to make a basic one but this one has to have two (2) cylindrical poles, that would remain vertical above each other. It cannot be a horseshoe magnet, because I want an even and symmetrical magnetic field. Even two separate magnets of different polarities would work fine for me
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Optimum inertial self-propulsion design for snowman-like nanorobot
The Quantum Cheshire Cat: Can neutrons be located at a different place than their own spin?
A transistor-like amplifier for single photons
Drakkith
Feb2-12, 07:01 PM
Mentor
P: 11,583
Do you know anything about electromagnets? I don't know how to help you, as this is a pretty broad question.
beatlemaniacj
Feb2-12, 07:05 PM
I have made electromagnets before this. I just need help making this exact setup. How would i control the polarity of an electromagnet is a better way to ask that. I need them also to be on the same circut if possible. And shouldi use AC or DC power.

Drakkith
Feb2-12, 07:52 PM
Mentor
P: 11,583
Making an electromagnet

Polarity is controlled by the direction of current. Switch the direction and the polarity switches. I don't know why you would use AC power, as that would be more for making a transformer, not an electromagnet. If you want them on the same circuit...just put them on the same circuit?
beatlemaniacj
Feb3-12, 05:19 PM
Thanks. I guess my question about the same circuit thing was how do I have the DC current going in two separate directions while still being on the same circuit.
rollcast
Feb3-12, 05:23 PM
P: 418
Just wind the magnets in opposite directions.
gsal
Feb4-12, 07:55 AM
P: 873
Just be very careful beatlemaniac, clearly, you know very little about electromagnetism or electricity to be given advise over a forum like this one. Nobody around here is going to want to be liable for anything you do based on their advise. Go to a teacher, join a physics club or something, do not go at it alone at this time.

Be safe.
beatlemaniacj
Feb4-12, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the concern Gsal. I do know alot about electromagnets and electromagnetism. I have made them before and I have made ones of different polarity. I just needed help putting them on the same circut.

Register to reply