Need help understanding the pushforward

by Identity
Tags: pushforward
Share this thread:
Identity
Feb5-12, 12:08 PM
P: 150
In my notes, the following two functions are defined:

Suppose [itex]M^m[/itex] and [itex]N^n[/itex] are smooth manifolds, [itex]F:M \to N[/itex] is smooth and [itex]p \in M[/itex]. We define:
[tex]F^*:C^\infty (F(p)) \to C^\infty (p)\ ,\ F^*(f) = f \circ F[/tex]
[tex]F_{*p}: T_pM \to T_{F(p)}N\ ,\ [F_{*p}(X)](f) = X(F^*f) = X(f \circ F)[/tex]

I understand the first function, [itex]F^*[/itex]; it maps [itex]f[/itex], a function on [itex]C^\infty(F(p))[/itex], to [itex]f \circ F[/itex], a function on [itex]C^\infty(p)[/itex].

However, I don't understand the second one, [itex]F_{*p}[/itex]. Since [itex]X(f) \in T_pM[/itex], it follows that [itex]f \in C^\infty (p)[/itex]. But then how is
[tex][F_{*p}(X)](f) = X(F^*f)[/tex]
defined? After all, in the definition of [itex]F_{*p}(X)[/itex], [itex]f[/itex] is a function on [itex] C^\infty (p)[/itex], not [itex]C^\infty(F(p))[/itex], so how can we evaluate [itex]F^*f[/itex]?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
morphism
Feb5-12, 12:26 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,020
X(f) isn't in TpM -- X is.

[itex]F_\ast[/itex] takes X to [itex]F_\ast(X)[/itex]. The question now is, what is [itex]F_\ast(X)[/itex]? We want it to be an element of TF(p)N, i.e., it should be a point derivation at F(p) on N, i.e., you need to know how to evaluate Fp(X) at smooth germ f at F(p).
quasar987
Feb5-12, 12:30 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,771
So F*p takes a vector X at p (derivation on the germs of smooth function at p) and sends it to a vector F*pX at F(p) (derivation on the germs of smooth function at F(p)). So what is this vector F*pX then? How does it act on a germ f at F(p)? This is what the formula is telling you: it says (F*pX)(f) is just X(F*f). And this makes sense, since F*f =f o F is indeed a germ of functions at p.

Identity
Feb5-12, 12:44 PM
Need help understanding the pushforward

Sorry, I've never heard of the term 'germ' before, can you explain please?
joebohr
Feb5-12, 01:04 PM
P: 57
Quote Quote by Identity View Post
A germ is essentially just a local topological structure.
lavinia
Feb5-12, 02:03 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,716
In my notes, the following two functions are defined:

Suppose [itex]M^m[/itex] and [itex]N^n[/itex] are smooth manifolds, [itex]F:M \to N[/itex] is smooth and [itex]p \in M[/itex]. We define:
[tex]F^*:C^\infty (F(p)) \to C^\infty (p)\ ,\ F^*(f) = f \circ F[/tex]
[tex]F_{*p}: T_pM \to T_{F(p)}N\ ,\ [F_{*p}(X)](f) = X(F^*f) = X(f \circ F)[/tex]

I understand the first function, [itex]F^*[/itex]; it maps [itex]f[/itex], a function on [itex]C^\infty(F(p))[/itex], to [itex]f \circ F[/itex], a function on [itex]C^\infty(p)[/itex].

However, I don't understand the second one, [itex]F_{*p}[/itex]. Since [itex]X(f) \in T_pM[/itex], it follows that [itex]f \in C^\infty (p)[/itex]. But then how is
[tex][F_{*p}(X)](f) = X(F^*f)[/tex]
defined? After all, in the definition of [itex]F_{*p}(X)[/itex], [itex]f[/itex] is a function on [itex] C^\infty (p)[/itex], not [itex]C^\infty(F(p))[/itex], so how can we evaluate [itex]F^*f[/itex]?
Analytically, a tangent vector at a point,p, on a manifold is a linear operator that acts on differentiable functions defined in an open neighborhood of p. A function,g, on N composed with F is a function on M. So a tangent vector at p now acts on the composition of g with F. But this may also be viewed at an action on g at F(p).
Identity
Feb5-12, 03:41 PM
Thanks everyone :)
quasar987
Feb5-12, 05:22 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
I assumed that by [itex]C^{\infty}(p)[/itex] you mean the set of real-valued functions f that are defined and smooth on some neighborhood U of p, modulo the equivalence relations according to which f~g iff f and g coincide on some small nbhd of p.

If so, then the elements of [itex]C^{\infty}(p)[/itex] are called germs of smooth functions.
Identity
Feb6-12, 12:58 PM
Just to make sure I've got it, in

[tex][F_{*p}(X)](f) = X(f\circ F)[/tex]
[itex]f[/itex] is kind of placeholder, in the sense that the [itex]f[/itex] on the LHS is an arbitrary function in [itex]C^\infty(p)[/itex] and the [itex]f[/itex] on the RHS is an arbitrary function in [itex]C^\infty (F(p))[/itex]

So on the left and right sides of the equation, [itex]f[/itex] does not represent functions with the same germs. I think this is where I got confused.
quasar987
Feb6-12, 02:57 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Just to make sure I've got it, in

[tex][F_{*p}(X)](f) = X(f\circ F)[/tex]
[itex]f[/itex] is kind of placeholder, in the sense that the [itex]f[/itex] on the LHS is an arbitrary function in [itex]C^\infty(p)[/itex] and the [itex]f[/itex] on the RHS is an arbitrary function in [itex]C^\infty (F(p))[/itex]
The f in the LHS is the same as the f in the RHS, and in both case, it is a function in [itex]C^\infty (F(p))[/itex]. Indeed, it better be so that f o F is in [itex]C^\infty(p)[/itex] so that X(f o F) makes sense!

Register to reply