A book of general chemistry problems?

In summary, the conversation discusses the pros and cons of a chemistry textbook, specifically the issue with incorrect answers in the exercise problems. The suggestion to look into alternative books with reliable problem sets is given and the person agrees to research and potentially purchase them.
moouers
Our chemistry book is a good textbook. It explains things well and in depth. The problem I have with it, however, is the exercise problems. Enough of the answers in the back of the book are wrong that it causes confusion with the proper way to solve certain problems (professor agrees and has sent an email to the publisher to see if a revised answer list is going to be made accessible). The book was probably rushed through production...but whatever the problem was, I need a reliable set of exercises with correct answers to check my work.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good book of college-level general chemistry problem sets?

Physics news on Phys.org
You might check out Schaum's outline of general chemistry, or 3,000 solved problems in chemistry, also from Schaum's, or REA's Chemistry Problem Solver. I have not used any of them myself, so I can't vouch for complete accuracy, but I've heard good things about them and they are all relatively inexpensive. Preview some pages and check out the reviews on Amazon.

Thank you very much for those suggestions. I'll research those books and hopefully buy one or two.

1. What is the purpose of a book of general chemistry problems?

A book of general chemistry problems is designed to help students apply their understanding of key concepts and principles in chemistry to solve various problems. It is a useful tool for practicing and mastering problem-solving skills, which are essential for success in chemistry.

2. How are the problems in a book of general chemistry organized?

The problems in a book of general chemistry are usually organized by topic or chapter, allowing students to focus on specific areas of the subject. They may also be arranged in increasing levels of difficulty, providing a gradual progression of challenges for students to overcome.

3. Are the problems in a book of general chemistry based on real-life scenarios?

Yes, many of the problems in a book of general chemistry are based on real-life applications and situations. This makes the problems more relatable and helps students understand how chemistry concepts can be applied in the real world.

4. Can a book of general chemistry problems be used as a study guide for exams?

Absolutely! A book of general chemistry problems can serve as an excellent study guide for exams. It provides students with opportunities to practice and review key concepts and problem-solving techniques, which can help them prepare for exams.

5. Is it necessary to have prior knowledge of chemistry before using a book of general chemistry problems?

Yes, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of chemistry before using a book of general chemistry problems. This will help students better comprehend the problems and apply their knowledge effectively. However, the book may also provide some introductory information for those who are new to the subject.