Register to reply

Contrapositive proof of irrational relations

by FelixHelix
Tags: contrapositive, irrational, proof, relations
Share this thread:
FelixHelix
Feb7-12, 01:45 PM
P: 28
I'm confused with a question and wondered if anyone could help explain where I need to go...

let x ε R. Prove that x is irrational thenI'm confused with a question and wondered if anyone could help explain where I need to go...

let x ε R. Prove that x is irrational then ((5*x^(1/3))-2)/7) is irrational.

I've learnt that this is a proof by contrapositive so set ((5*x^(1/3))-2)/7) to be rational and hence a/b with a,b ε Z and b ≠ 0, and there for x is rational.

But I'm not sure where to go from here. Do I rearrange to find for x? x = ((7a - 10b)/5b)^3

But this is still raational isn't it? Where is the contradiction?

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
alexfloo
Feb7-12, 01:55 PM
P: 192
Call that big expression y, and solve for x. If y is rational, what does that tell you about x?
FelixHelix
Feb7-12, 02:09 PM
P: 28
I thought I did solve for x. If y is rational then x is rational but where is the contradiction? I don't see

alexfloo
Feb7-12, 02:35 PM
P: 192
Contrapositive proof of irrational relations

Ah, I missed that step in your initial post.

Remember that contradiction is different from contraposition. For contraposition, you're actually already done.

Contraposition takes advantage of the fact that a->b is equivalent to (not b) -> (not a).

You showed that y is rational implies that x is rational. Therefore, you've shown that x is irrational implies y is irrational.
lavinia
Feb9-12, 07:52 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,716
Quote Quote by FelixHelix View Post
I'm confused with a question and wondered if anyone could help explain where I need to go...

let x ε R. Prove that x is irrational thenI'm confused with a question and wondered if anyone could help explain where I need to go...

I've learnt that this is a proof by contrapositive so set ((5*x^(1/3))-2)/7) to be rational and hence a/b with a,b ε Z and b ≠ 0, and there for x is rational.

But I'm not sure where to go from here. Do I rearrange to find for x? x = ((7a - 10b)/5b)^3

Thanks
the rational numbers are closed under multiplication,division, and addition.
Deveno
Feb9-12, 10:36 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 906
Quote Quote by FelixHelix View Post

Thanks
by assumption a, and b are INTEGERS, with b non-zero.

well if a and b are integers, then surely k = 7a - 10b is also an integer.

thus k3 and 125b3 are also integers, and moreover, 125b3 ≠ 0.

thus x = k3/(125b3) is rational.

but x was assumed irrational, contradiction.

Register to reply