Register to reply

Right to vote = minimum of $1.00 federal tax.

by WhoWee
Tags: $100, federal, minimum, vote
Share this thread:
WhoWee
Feb9-12, 07:39 PM
P: 1,123
I wonder if they'll adopt my idea that only (federal income) taxpayers (minimum $1.00) should be allowed to vote?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Office life' of bacteria may be their weak spot
Lunar explorers will walk at higher speeds than thought
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
turbo
Feb9-12, 08:33 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by WhoWee View Post
I wonder if they'll adopt my idea that only (federal income) taxpayers (minimum $1.00) should be allowed to vote?
What an idea! Let's disenfranchise all the poor people! Next, let's disenfranchise all women and black people, too! That will set us back a century or so.

It is a fiction that people who pay nothing in Federal income taxes pay no income taxes. The people at the bottom pay the most regressive taxes of all. They cannot escape property taxes, fuel taxes, excise taxes, sales taxes, etc, which flow directly to the income-tax burden of the wealthy. At some point, it would be helpful to get away from the invective and try to figure out how to simplify the tax code so that the burden is more evenly shared.
Bobbywhy
Feb9-12, 08:34 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,909
Your idea would be welcomed in any Occupy group searching for consensus. This does not mean that the group would accept it, however. If you are seriously proposing that idea, why not propose it? That step is one of the essential ingredients in our participatory democracy.

JonDE
Feb9-12, 08:34 PM
P: 59
Right to vote = minimum of $1.00 federal tax.

Are you suggesting that retired people should not be allowed to vote?
Evo
Feb9-12, 08:39 PM
Mentor
P: 26,661
Quote Quote by JonDE View Post
Are you suggesting that retired people should not be allowed to vote?
Most retired people pay taxes. IMO.
turbo
Feb9-12, 08:41 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Most retired people pay taxes.
I am retired (disabled) and I pay taxes. It sucks to have to deal with right-wingers who assume otherwise, but that comes with the territory.

Also, many people who get earned income tax credits are in that situation for a reason - and no right-winger will ever acknowledge the need for such an offset, though they will gleefully accept offsets and tax-deductions for the rich. Who are these people? Do they all expect to hit it rich and be millionaires in a few years? It doesn't happen that way, boys and girls.
Jasongreat
Feb9-12, 09:21 PM
P: 75
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
What an idea! Let's disenfranchise all the poor people! Next, let's disenfranchise all women and black people, too! That will set us back a century or so.
Are you saying all blacks and all women dont pay taxes and shouldnt vote? Since that was your reply to the previous post. I know I will be labeled a right wing extremist, but I would like to get back to the system that only property owners can vote. Why should we allow those who own no property to vote on confiscating other peoples property? If we look back at the history of the US, when property qualifications were required to vote our government was limited, as soon as the progressives brought us the democracy argument that everyone should vote, our government has grown in numbers only the most 'educated' can 'understand'.
WhoWee
Feb9-12, 10:34 PM
Quote Quote by turbo View Post

It is a fiction that people who pay nothing in Federal income taxes pay no income taxes. The people at the bottom pay the most regressive taxes of all. They cannot escape property taxes, fuel taxes, excise taxes, sales taxes, etc, which flow directly to the income-tax burden of the wealthy. At some point, it would be helpful to get away from the invective and try to figure out how to simplify the tax code so that the burden is more evenly shared.
I stipulated a payment of $1.00 in federal income taxes - and you express outrage?

As for your comments about women and black people - what is the purpose and what is the basis of your attack and devisive rhetoric?
lisab
Feb9-12, 10:55 PM
Mentor
P: 3,010
Yeah...don't you just hate it when that old dusty, musty US Constitution gets in the way of "if I could run the world" ideas.....
WhoWee
Feb9-12, 11:00 PM
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
Yeah...don't you just hate it when that old dusty, musty US Constitution gets in the way of "if I could run the world" ideas.....
Just throwing out ideas for the Occupiers - they seem to need some direction.
Bobbywhy
Feb9-12, 11:25 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,909
Just throwing out ideas for the Occupiers - they seem to need some direction.
It appears that you have either overlooked or avoided paying attention to the information contained in post #11 here, namely, that the Occupy Movement is indeed beginning to find its "direction".
ThomasT
Feb9-12, 11:51 PM
P: 1,414
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Most retired people pay taxes.
Define "retired people". How many are there? How many of them pay taxes?
ThomasT
Feb9-12, 11:53 PM
Why do you think this is a good idea? As it is now only about 50% of eligible voters vote.
Pythagorean
Feb10-12, 04:08 AM
PF Gold
P: 4,292
Wait, why is more voters better? I'm often in the minority, so I'm not all for the majority making decisions for me.
ThomasT
Feb10-12, 04:23 AM
Quote Quote by Pythagorean View Post
Wait, why is more voters better?
Well, the first thing that comes to my mind is that stuff about a country for, by and of the people. But then I suppose that excluding as many people from the process as possible would make things simpler if the aim is to control rather than to improve.
Jasongreat
Feb10-12, 05:31 AM
P: 75
Quote Quote by ThomasT View Post
Well, the first thing that comes to my mind is that stuff about a country for, by and of the people. But then I suppose that excluding as many people from the process as possible would make things simpler if the aim is to control rather than to improve.
I missed the part about it being for the few,by the few, against many at the expense of the few. And I suppose that including as many people to the process as possible would make things simpler if the aim is to control rather than to improve, which seems to me the progressive view from Teddy on.

Mege:
Columbia already tried to offer a OWS class... and it got cancelled.

Maybe it was nixed because of lack of focus and a lot of shouting?
That is funny. :D
daveb
Feb10-12, 07:43 AM
P: 925
I think is a ridiculous concept since there are some who make next to nothing but provide a valuable service (such as Peace Corps workers). Why should they not be allowed to vote?
WhoWee
Feb10-12, 07:53 AM
Quote Quote by daveb View Post
I think is a ridiculous concept since there are some who make next to nothing but provide a valuable service (such as Peace Corps workers). Why should they not be allowed to vote?
Can they write a check for $1.00?

Register to reply