A basic question about graphene

• Thread starter dsanz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphene
In summary, graphene is a one-atom-thick layer of carbon atoms that is claimed to be a display. It can also be used to make transistors and LEDs. However, it is not yet possible to send images through it.
dsanz
I've read several not-very-scientific articles about graphene. What puzzles me is this: It is supposed to be a one-atom-thick layer of carbon atoms, and it is claimed that it could work as a display (like a very flexible screen or something like that). First of all, how would we be able to see these sheets if they're only one atom thick? Second, and related to the first question, how would they function as displays? If they are only one atom in thickness, how would they emit enough photons to create a visible image to the human eye?

Any comment on the topic is very appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Graphene is transparent and a reasonably good conductor. It is therefore a good materials for flat screen displays.
However, graphene on its own won't make a huge difference, and its use won't -as far as I know- in any way revolutionize flat screen technology.

The point about being one atomic layer thick is correct. graphene is only one plane taken from a graphite structure. It can even be made by breaking down graphite to a mono-layer.

Kholdstare said:
The point about being one atomic layer thick is correct. graphene is only one plane taken from a graphite structure. It can even be made by breaking down graphite to a mono-layer.

Seems you are right. Hard to believe though:)

In terms of using graphene for display. This can be done by mounting the transparent graphene films on transparent polymers. Basically, these films will replace the tradition Indium doped tin oxide films that are not as transparent or conducting. I think graphene is approx. 10 times more conducting than ITO and much more transparent. Also, manufacturing ITOs is expensive as indium is rare and hard to handle.

Monolayer Graphene absorbs about 2.8% of visible light therefore it is more or less transparent. It's excellent electrical properties allow it to be used in high speed electronics so can therefore make great transistors etc. It can also be used to make LED's which from what I understand could be used in screens which when there is no current will be invisible.

Dear dsanz;
Thank you very much for opening graphene issue. I read your comments and opinions about graphene. However I came to conclusion that you don't know much about graphene. I am working at quantum transport and nanoelectronis lab at Sabancı University. http://labs.sabanciuniv.edu/qtnel/ In response to dsanz question; due to the fact that graphene is one layer carbon atom, it is hard to see it without optical microscopy also due to its thickness you have to transfer your graphite to a substrate which is generally SiC. Secondly, it has not achieved to display image an image through graphene secret. But there are many research on it. For expample my research group took the project of transparent and flexible graphene screen which is worthy of 3 million $. Rice university is the leader in that issue i think. I have been reading many of their research on flexible and tranparent graphene screen. They also have not achieved to send an image on screen but they discover briliant way of making transparent graphene screen. One of their aprroach was creating 100x100 micron squares on PMMA and they put CVD graphene on this square and they made its conductivty measurement. On the other hand I don't know how to send photon through graphene. I will investigate for this issue. Thank you very much for this valuable discussion. If you have any questions or need to read scientific material feel free to contact me.

What is graphene?

Graphene is a thin, strong, and highly conductive material made of a single layer of carbon atoms bonded together in a hexagonal lattice pattern.

How is graphene made?

Graphene can be made through different methods, such as mechanical exfoliation, chemical vapor deposition, or chemical reduction of graphite. Each method has its own advantages and limitations.

What are the properties of graphene?

Graphene has several unique properties, including high electrical and thermal conductivity, high strength and stiffness, great flexibility, and transparency. It also has a large surface area and is impermeable to most gases.

What are the potential applications of graphene?

Graphene has the potential to revolutionize various industries, including electronics, energy storage, biotechnology, and aerospace. Some potential applications include flexible screens, high-performance batteries, and stronger and lighter materials for building and construction.

Is graphene safe for human use?

Currently, there is not enough research available to determine the long-term effects of exposure to graphene on human health. However, preliminary studies have shown that graphene is generally safe to handle and does not pose a significant health risk. Further research is still needed.