Register to reply

A basic question about graphene

by dsanz
Tags: basic, graphene
Share this thread:
dsanz
Jan21-12, 12:58 PM
P: 40
I've read several not-very-scientific articles about graphene. What puzzles me is this: It is supposed to be a one-atom-thick layer of carbon atoms, and it is claimed that it could work as a display (like a very flexible screen or something like that). First of all, how would we be able to see these sheets if they're only one atom thick? Second, and related to the first question, how would they function as displays? If they are only one atom in thickness, how would they emit enough photons to create a visible image to the human eye?

Any comment on the topic is very appreciated :)
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Researchers study gallium to design adjustable electronic components
Gadolinium-based material that can be cooled by varying magnetic field
Experiments explain why some liquids are 'fragile' and others are 'strong'
asym
Jan21-12, 01:30 PM
P: 21
I guess graphene is supposed to be an electrode, not the whole thing. I addition, they probably use a nanoscale layer not just one sheet.

http://www.google.com/search?q=graphene+display
f95toli
Jan21-12, 05:08 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,250
Graphene is transparent and a reasonably good conductor. It is therefore a good materials for flat screen displays.
However, graphene on its own won't make a huge difference, and its use won't -as far as I know- in any way revolutionize flat screen technology.

Kholdstare
Jan27-12, 10:17 AM
P: 390
A basic question about graphene

The point about being one atomic layer thick is correct. graphene is only one plane taken from a graphite structure. It can even be made by breaking down graphite to a mono-layer.
asym
Jan27-12, 11:02 AM
P: 21
Quote Quote by Kholdstare View Post
The point about being one atomic layer thick is correct. graphene is only one plane taken from a graphite structure. It can even be made by breaking down graphite to a mono-layer.
Seems you are right. Hard to believe though:)
sridhar
Jan30-12, 07:39 PM
P: 19
In terms of using graphene for display. This can be done by mounting the transparent graphene films on transparent polymers. Basically, these films will replace the tradition Indium doped tin oxide films that are not as transparent or conducting. I think graphene is approx. 10 times more conducting than ITO and much more transparent. Also, manufacturing ITOs is expensive as indium is rare and hard to handle.
Caveman11
Feb10-12, 06:57 AM
P: 11
Monolayer Graphene absorbs about 2.8% of visible light therefore it is more or less transparent. It's excellent electrical properties allow it to be used in high speed electronics so can therefore make great transistors etc. It can also be used to make LED's which from what I understand could be used in screens which when there is no current will be invisible.
ErolDynamics
Mar18-12, 08:16 AM
P: 16
Dear dsanz;
Thank you very much for opening graphene issue. I read your comments and opinions about graphene. However I came to conclusion that you don't know much about graphene. I am working at quantum transport and nanoelectronis lab at Sabancı University. http://labs.sabanciuniv.edu/qtnel/ In response to dsanz question; due to the fact that graphene is one layer carbon atom, it is hard to see it without optical microscopy also due to its thickness you have to transfer your graphite to a substrate which is generally SiC. Secondly, it has not achieved to display image an image through graphene secret. But there are many research on it. For expample my research group took the project of transparent and flexible graphene screen which is worthy of 3 million $. Rice university is the leader in that issue i think. I have been reading many of their research on flexible and tranparent graphene screen. They also have not achieved to send an image on screen but they discover briliant way of making transparent graphene screen. One of their aprroach was creating 100x100 micron squares on PMMA and they put CVD graphene on this square and they made its conductivty measurement. On the other hand I don't know how to send photon through graphene. I will investigate for this issue. Thank you very much for this valuable discussion. If you have any questions or need to read scientific material feel free to contact me.

Register to reply