Acousto optical modulators

by Niles
Tags: acousto, modulators, optical
Niles
Feb9-12, 03:24 PM
P: 1,863
Hi

Say I am looking at an AOM working in the Bragg regime (i.e., only a single diffracted beam). It is easy to show using Bragg's law that the frequency-shift Ω of the diffracted wave is given by
[tex]
\Omega = 2n\omega \frac{v}{c}\sin(\theta)
[/tex]
Here Ω is *also* the frequency the AOM is driven with, in other words the LHS is constant in the sense that in does not depend on the incoming light (so the frequency-shift imparted on the wave is constant). However, the RHS does depend on the incoming light, since the angle θ of the diffracted beam is equal to the angle of incidence of the incoming beam, so I can change it easily by e.g. turning the AOM.

In my book it says that the shift Ω is zero for forward scattering and maximum for backscattering. This is what I don't understand: The shift Ω is the same as the frequency of the phonons in the material, which is *constant*. So how can I change the frequency shift of the diffracted wave by changing the angle on incidence?

Best,
Niles.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
Niles
Feb10-12, 02:47 AM
OK, I understand my error now.
Andy Resnick
Feb10-12, 07:18 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,468
What book are you using? I have one by Korpel, and it's not working for me...

Niles
Feb10-12, 01:05 PM

Acousto optical modulators

I am using Boyd's Nonlinear Optics, it has a nice chapter on spontaneous light-scattering including Acoustooptics. I hope it works out.

Best,
Niles.

Register to reply